• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football won’t play SMU for just the second time this century

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU football won’t play SMU for just the second time this century

By Drew Davison

The iron skillet won’t be up for grabs in 2020.

TCU football will not be playing SMU for just the second time this century, a source confirmed.

With the Big 12’s new “plus-one” scheduling format for the 2020 season, conference teams are required to play one home nonconference game followed by a nine-game conference schedule.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article244704077.html#storylink=cpy

HG73

To me, It feels like a good time to end the SMU series.
Gary went 16-3 against the Mustangs, let him end it rather than the next HC.
TCU plays nine round robin conference games, that's enough home and home annual matchups.
Yes but the smu game provided a home game in the years when we only have 4 home conference games. Hate that 4/5 home conference game crap. Now that we play a championship game we should only play 8 conference games 4/4 and the one conference opponent we don't play should rotate equally among all teams. Just sayin'.

Putt4Purple

Unlike a lot of posters here I am not happy with this. I know most everyone thinks it's a meaningless game with no reward. This is a rivalry. Yes, TCU has won in the most recent years but never take it for granted. I remember when I dreamt of beating SMU at least once in the 70's and 80's. Be careful what you wish for. I hope it returns next year.

HFrog1999

We can’t end a tradition!!!!

tenor.gif

HFrog12

Unlike a lot of posters here I am not happy with this. I know most everyone thinks it's a meaningless game with no reward. This is a rivalry. Yes, TCU has won in the most recent years but never take it for granted. I remember when I dreamt of beating SMU at least once in the 70's and 80's. Be careful what you wish for. I hope it returns next year.

It is a tradition. It is not a rivalry anymore. No one cares on the tcu side if you have been to the games the past 5 yrs. 19-3 and we are P5 vs. a G5 team. In the 70s and 80s we were in the same conference so of course that made sense. But news flash it’s not the 70s and 80s and we have clawed our way to be in a big boy conference.

This isn’t like Ut and Aggy where they are both P5 teams. I’ve said it before but Tulane and LSU was a rivalry until it became a tradition and then eventually dropped. Would be hilarious to see LSU take a bus over to play at Tulane every other year for free. But they actually look out for themselves and their fans and get an extra game in tiger stadium and win National Championships. TCU refuses to grow up and instead throws SMU a bone every year.