• The KillerFrogs

Niko tweet

PhillyFrog

From other players tweets showing what really went down, it looks like the word is already not allowed and that's what GP called him out for. Probably don't use the quote next time. I remember a coach kicking a metal door off the frame and walked him and was seriously angry cause a black player used the word to another black player. We all (whole team in addition to the two players who said it) did sprints till we dropped. Word was not used after that. Some of us knew it was coming when we heard his office door slam in the hallway.

My guess is this player at FW was being bratty and GP decided to dress him down for all of it.

Sure, I get that.

But mine was a two-part question.

The first is whether it's culturally wrong for a football program to bar the use of the word by Black players during football operations; I would be interested in hearing answers from the sense of: What am I missing?

The second is a legal question of the boundary of protected speech.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

He dresses everyone down. It's his style. Like most people, he gets frustrated at times, just like you and me, and says things off the cuff out of frustration. Everyone is guilty of this. You have to learn not to take it personally.

My worst roasting was when we were doing 1 on 1s and I went up against Colin Jones and beat him over the top on a route. Coach Patterson proceeds to scream at Colin saying "You just got beat straight up by someone who isn't any good! What do you think it will be like when you go up against someone with a lick of talent!?" It definitely didn't make me feel good, but I didn't take it personally.
In high school, I came off the field and was addressed for being, what was probably well known by all accounts, amazing slow on a play ... in probably the most dressed down (but funniest) way I had seen. Good thing was, I knew early on that I would not have to prove myself at the next level as I barely saw the field then. lol.

Mean Purple

Sure, I get that.

But mine was a two-part question.

The first is whether it's culturally wrong for a football program to bar the use of the word during football operations; I would be interested in hearing answers from the sense of: What am I missing?

The second is a legal question of the boundary of protected speech.
Interesting question. Organizations can generally set their rules. Freedom of speech does not protect me in my job. And it does not seem to protect anybody white these days of anything.

Bob Sugar

giphy.gif

Travis Trucks

In high school, I came off the field and was addressed for being, what was probably well known by all accounts, amazing slow on a play ... in probably the most dressed down (but funniest) way I had seen. Good thing was, I knew early on that I would not have to prove myself at the next level as I barely saw the field then. lol.

I was an average high school player... athletic, but undersized(weight, not height). I probably could have been a decent slot receiver, but we ran a triple option wishbone offense that never passed, so I didn't really have a defined role outside of special teams.

I only tried to walk on at TCU because I would always hate myself if I never did and always think "what if"... I had zero expectations of making the team. I just wanted to do it to say I did it.

If you would have told me when I was walking off the field after my last high school game that I wasn't done and would be a part of TCU's program for 4 years, I'd have called you crazy. But it all ended up playing out that way. A little luck and a little hard work. I did struggle with some confidence and "do I really belong here" issues at times, feeling like I was wasting the coaches and teams time when I would do anything at practice that wasn't scout team.

Mean Purple

If Gary has been consistent about his dislike of players using that word then it is not a new discussion for the guys who have been around. The players who respect his approach to this are much more likely to be understanding of what Gary was trying to do and forgiving since they know his motives. The ones who are pissed at him anyway for no playing time or yelling at them or whatever other reason will probably not but they're not going to be happy no matter what.

This can actually be a unifying thing for the team if its all handled right. Just don't do it again, Gary...
And it can also weed out the soft players.

PhillyFrog

Something that is not talked about which should be talked about is that it can be a challenge to transition from being a football player into real life, especially if you don't go to the NFL.

A lot of these guys have known nothing but playing football, so when they graduate, and are no longer playing football, its hard to know what to do next with your life. It can be frustrating, and some of these guys take their frustrations out on their past.

Even if you take your education seriously, and have a plan after graduation, it can still be a shock. For me, one minute I was celebrating a Rose Bowl win with my teammates, and the next minute, I was at the parking lot behind AGC Stadium, getting my luggage out of the luggage truck, and we all go our own ways. It was the weirdest feeling ever. I remember being at a restaurant with my dad the day we got back from the Rose Bowl and this feeling washed over me, like "now what?". It took me a good 2.5 years to find my way after graduating. And I am someone who was successful in class, got good grades, took my education seriously and had somewhat of a plan.

For some of these guys they didn't take education seriously, had no post college plan that didn't involve the NFL, and are stuck in neutral in their life. They have known nothing but football and for a lot of them, football was their escape and gave their life meaning. Now what? It can be frustrating, so some of these guys get upset and take out the fact that their post football life sucks on their former coaches.

Thanks for posting that.

After reading it I couldn't help but recall the last scene in 'Band Of Brothers' with the baseball game, which had Dick Winters speaking about each character's post-war life.

It's a funny world. I'm posting from an office not much more than 10 miles from the farm that Major Winters owned after the war.

I was an average high school player... athletic, but undersized(weight, not height). I probably could have been a decent slot receiver, but we ran a triple option wishbone offense that never passed, so I didn't really have a defined role outside of special teams.

I only tried to walk on at TCU because I would always hate myself if I never did and always think "what if"... I had zero expectations of making the team. I just wanted to do it to say I did it.

If you would have told me when I was walking off the field after my last high school game that I wasn't done and would be a part of TCU's program for 4 years, I'd have called you crazy. But it all ended up playing out that way. A little luck and a little hard work. I did struggle with some confidence and "do I really belong here" issues at times, feeling like I was wasting the coaches and teams time when I would do anything at practice that wasn't scout team.
I have so much respect for you.

#FrogFactor

Palliative Care

Truth-that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality. Dylan I do believe that you live in a different reality than most people here? Therefore in your reality remember two words Transfer Portal. In my reality you should apologize to Patterson and your team mates. Choose which ever you like....

Travis Trucks

Thanks for posting that.

After reading it I couldn't help but recall the last scene in 'Band Of Brothers' with the baseball game, which had Dick Winters speaking about each character's post-war life.

It's a funny world. I'm posting from an office not much more than 10 miles from the farm that Major Winters owned after the war.

It's weird.

My teammates were like brothers to me, we literally were with each other every day for 3+ years. Then the Rose Bowl ends, we get back to Fort Worth, and we all go our separate ways.

Apart from the awards banquet we had that April, that was the last time I saw pretty much all of my former TCU teammates. Spend multiple years in a row with the same group of guys who are like family, then snap, you never see them again, without warning.

I've seen a handful of them at random TCU basketball games, but I have yet to attend a TCU football game since the Rose Bowl since I haven't lived in the DFW area since then. We were supposed to have a 10 year reunion at homecoming for our Rose Bowl team this year, but obviously thats not happening anymore

Mean Purple

Something that is not talked about which should be talked about is that it can be a challenge to transition from being a football player into real life, especially if you don't go to the NFL.

A lot of these guys have known nothing but playing football, so when they graduate, and are no longer playing football, its hard to know what to do next with your life. It can be frustrating, and some of these guys take their frustrations out on their past.

Even if you take your education seriously, and have a plan after graduation, it can still be a shock. For me, one minute I was celebrating a Rose Bowl win with my teammates, and the next minute, I was at the parking lot behind AGC Stadium, getting my luggage out of the luggage truck, and we all go our own ways. It was the weirdest feeling ever. I remember being at a restaurant with my dad the day we got back from the Rose Bowl and this feeling washed over me, like "now what?". It took me a good 2.5 years to find my way after graduating. And I am someone who was successful in class, got good grades, took my education seriously and had somewhat of a plan.

For some of these guys they didn't take education seriously, had no post college plan that didn't involve the NFL, and are stuck in neutral in their life. They have known nothing but football and for a lot of them, football was their escape and gave their life meaning. Now what? It can be frustrating, so some of these guys get upset and take out the fact that their post football life sucks on their former coaches.
I heard a guy who played at Auburn describe how odd it was to wake up in August and not have that card in had that dictated every minute of his life f0r the day.

Mean Purple

Man I am getting destroyed on Twitter for sticking up for Coach P because I am white. All these racists judging me because I am white, is that not racist? I had someone call me "mayonnaise boy", could you imagine the uproar if I used chocolate boy in reply to him
Yeah, that's crazy. Some of the players are basically being called "uncle tom" or "tom". Good gosh.