• The KillerFrogs

Niko tweet

Eight

Something that is not talked about which should be talked about is that it can be a challenge to transition from being a football player into real life, especially if you don't go to the NFL.

A lot of these guys have known nothing but playing football, so when they graduate, and are no longer playing football, its hard to know what to do next with your life. It can be frustrating, and some of these guys take their frustrations out on their past.

Even if you take your education seriously, and have a plan after graduation, it can still be a shock. For me, one minute I was celebrating a Rose Bowl win with my teammates, and the next minute, I was at the parking lot behind AGC Stadium, getting my luggage out of the luggage truck, and we all go our own ways. It was the weirdest feeling ever. I remember being at a restaurant with my dad the day we got back from the Rose Bowl and this feeling washed over me, like "now what?". It took me a good 2.5 years to find my way after graduating. And I am someone who was successful in class, got good grades, took my education seriously and had somewhat of a plan.

For some of these guys they didn't take education seriously, had no post college plan that didn't involve the NFL, and are stuck in neutral in their life. They have known nothing but football and for a lot of them, football was their escape and gave their life meaning. Now what? It can be frustrating, so some of these guys get upset and take out the fact that their post football life sucks on their former coaches.

this might be the best thing you have written in this entire thread travis and i do think it is something very few not involved in the game understand or recognize the impact.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If Gary has been consistent about his dislike of players using that word then it is not a new discussion for the guys who have been around. The players who respect his approach to this are much more likely to be understanding of what Gary was trying to do and forgiving since they know his motives. The ones who are pissed at him anyway for no playing time or yelling at them or whatever other reason will probably not but they're not going to be happy no matter what.

This can actually be a unifying thing for the team if its all handled right. Just don't do it again, Gary...
That's about the best damned thing I've read in a week or so.

Have a beer! (Spiritually, of course) Cheers!

TCURiggs

I'd advise everyone not to click on the nationally trending "Gary Patterson" on Twitter...

200.gif

researchfrog

I still don't know that we're not screwed. Hopefully Boschini and Donati met with Patterson and the defense before or shortly after this went public. My gut reaction is, "It's been real, Gary." In a sane world, where we respect the agency of the football players, if it is water under the bridge to them, it would be the same to us. But the woke don't care about respecting the agency of black people.

KTown Frog

There is no room for debating things nationally anymore. Once people have their mind made up, that is it. The same people calling for racial equality and racism are in turn the same people calling others names. Just a sad world we live in.

Travis Trucks

this might be the best thing you have written in this entire thread travis and i do think it is something very few not involved in the game understand or recognize the impact.

The 2 and a half years after I was done at TCU were some of the most challenging times of my life. I think part of it was the fact I was out in the real world trying to find my way, but another part of it was, I just got done spending 4 years with a successful football program which was extremely fun and exciting, and how I was worried that those 4 years were the peak of my life and nothing going forward would be as fun and exciting as my time at TCU was.

But you know what? Ultimately, I took responsibility for myself. I realized that the only person who can make my life better is me. I didn't blame anyone else and try to shift responsibility. I learned to code, and now I live a successful life, make good money and am able to have good life experiences that don't make me yearn for the past like I was in the couple years after graduating.

CardFrog

I still don't know that we're not screwed. Hopefully Boschini and Donati met with Patterson and the defense before or shortly after this went public. My gut reaction is, "It's been real, Gary." In a sane world, where we respect the agency of the football players, if it is water under the bridge to them, it would be the same to us. But the woke don't care about respecting the agency of black people.
There is NO WAY after all he has given to this program and his words being twisted (although it sounds like he repeated the word) that he is gone. If that's the case every single coach might as well pack up and leave. If he had some history of this then maybe, but this is a bridge to far even for the woke.

CardFrog

Man I am getting destroyed on Twitter for sticking up for Coach P because I am white. All these racists judging me because I am white, is that not racist? I had someone call me "mayonnaise boy", could you imagine the uproar if I used chocolate boy in reply to him
Stay strong, truth is a powerful weapon.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Played softball years ago with a former Prairie View football player that was called the N word in the Houston Chronicle Tournament. The guy was about 6’ 260 (Which seemed pretty stupid for someone to yell at him from only 9o feet away). Boy, everything just sort of stopped and got quiet. I guess We were waiting to see who would volunteer to get in front of a charging bull. But he only laughed at the guy and said “I feel bad for you man, because that says more about you than me.” The umps said they didn’t hear it, which was BS. Every time he passed the guy between innings just laughed even harder and the guy got more red in the face mad. I asked why he didn’t do anything and Sheldon just said, “If you laugh at them and show it doesn’t bother you, it takes all the power away from them.” Maybe if you are 260 with no neck and lats that go from your ears to your shoulders you can get away with it. In any event I just thought that was a very wise way to handle it. He said if everyone laughed at that word, it just might disappear. Not entirely sure that would happen, but it just might cause people to use it less if they thought it wasn’t getting the intended rise out of people.

Last edited:

Travis Trucks

I am getting 20+ Twitter replies per minute. My tweet supporting Coach P has gone viral. Ridiculous. 99% of the replies are coming from people calling me a racist and saying my opinion is invalid since I am white.