• The KillerFrogs

Niko tweet

Travis Trucks

don't believe 247 or the other site are pushing an agenda, but instead pushing the idea of a story to generate clicks.

they don't give a [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] if the story is right, who gets hurt, or the damage done. merely do they get attention

to some extent it has always been that way as tabloids and yellow journalism isn't new, but social media where any idea can repost a story and spread it around the world has spun this all out of control.

guys like niko who have a beef are the one's that bother me the most. you can't move forward living in the past.

My experience playing for Coach Patterson is that he is a very, very tough coach, especially on the practice field, but he is very fair. He is in it to win games. If you aren't playing, its because you aren't the best option to see the field. This is why I think some programs like Texas and Texas A&M continue to struggle, because they assign playing time based on what they were promised during recruiting, not those who earn it. From my limited experience at TCU, the very first team meeting I attended along with all the other freshman, Coach P started the meeting telling us all we weren't [ Finebaum ], what we did in high school didn't matter, and we are at the bottom of the totem pole and will not see the field unless we bust our ass and earn it. So as far as I am concerned, no one is being promised playing time, although things might be different in the Big12 era but I doubt it

For some people, they just use this as a motivation to get better so they can see the field, but others just want to complain and blame everyone but themselves. If you work really hard, do your part and still don't see the field, perhaps you just aren't any good. That was the case with me. I worked really hard, but knew I had little talent(compared to others at my position). I was OK with it.

This is why ideologies like "everyone gets a trophy" and responsibility shifting "its always someone else's fault" are so dangerous. Personal responsibility in this country continues to wither on the vine day by day.

Wexahu

My experience playing for Coach Patterson is that he is a very, very tough coach, especially on the practice field, but he is very fair. He is in it to win games. If you aren't playing, its because you aren't the best option to see the field. This is why I think some programs like Texas and Texas A&M continue to struggle, because they assign playing time based on what they were promised during recruiting, not those who earn it

For some people, they just use this as a motivation to get better so they can see the field, but others just want to complain and blame everyone but themselves. If you work really hard, do your part and still don't see the field, perhaps you just aren't any good. That was the case with me. I worked really hard, but knew I had little talent(compared to others at my position). I was OK with it.

This is why ideologies like "everyone gets a trophy" and responsibility shifting "its always someone else's fault" are so dangerous. Personal responsibility in this country continues to wither on the vine day by day.

It's why you have to be careful what kind of kids are brought into the program, no matter what their talent. If you suspect a kid isn't going to be able to stomach the grind, move on. Especially in this day and age.

Eight

My experience playing for Coach Patterson is that he is a very, very tough coach, especially on the practice field, but he is very fair. He is in it to win games. If you aren't playing, its because you aren't the best option to see the field. This is why I think some programs like Texas and Texas A&M continue to struggle, because they assign playing time based on what they were promised during recruiting, not those who earn it. From my limited experience at TCU, the very first team meeting I attended along with all the other freshman, Coach P started the meeting telling us all we weren't [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ], what we did in high school didn't matter, and we are at the bottom of the totem pole and will not see the field unless we bust our ass and earn it. So as far as I am concerned, no one is being promised playing time, although things might be different in the Big12 era but I doubt it

don't disagree, have a good friend who coached at a high school that produced two frog players. the first warned the second about what practice was going to be like as they both played defense.

both came from a high school that didn't win the games they should have with the talent on their rosters in large part to a lack of discipline and intensity in practice. they beat most teams by flipping the switch.

second player lasted a year because he couldn't hack it, transferred to atm, and inspired the famous kenny cain line.

niko to me is odd because he basically started for 3 years. guy was limited in terms of size and speed and gave what he could, but for some reason acts like he was cheated of something.

i do know the friends i have who still coach in high school say it is a completely different world.

Travis Trucks

It's why you have to be careful what kind of kids are brought into the program, no matter what their talent. If you suspect a kid isn't going to be able to stomach the grind, move on. Especially in this day and age.

This is why I have been somewhat skeptical of whether or not recruiting higher level talent can pay off for us.

I am not saying we can win championships and Big 12 titles with our MWC recruiting strategy of 2 stars and walk ons. But its not a stretch to say the better a player was in high school and the more attention he got nationally from big schools, the bigger ego he is going to have and the less hard he will think he will have to work when he gets to TCU. This can be toxic in terms of locker room cohesion.

Schools that stockpile 5* and 4* talent like Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, LSU can get away with it because even if they miss on 10 of their 20 blue chip recruits, they still have 10 blue chip recruits. And when your entire 3 deep is blue chip recruits, you know that those 3rd stringers are going to have the chip on their shoulder. It's a bigger deal for someone like us, where if we get 6 blue chip recruits and miss on 3 of them, we only have 3.

illini_frog

My experience playing for Coach Patterson is that he is a very, very tough coach, especially on the practice field, but he is very fair. He is in it to win games. If you aren't playing, its because you aren't the best option to see the field. This is why I think some programs like Texas and Texas A&M continue to struggle, because they assign playing time based on what they were promised during recruiting, not those who earn it. From my limited experience at TCU, the very first team meeting I attended along with all the other freshman, Coach P started the meeting telling us all we weren't [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ], what we did in high school didn't matter, and we are at the bottom of the totem pole and will not see the field unless we bust our ass and earn it. So as far as I am concerned, no one is being promised playing time, although things might be different in the Big12 era but I doubt it

Tried out for the team two years in a row, this is 100% truth. Very tough but also very fair.

Travis Trucks

don't disagree, have a good friend who coached at a high school that produced two frog players. the first warned the second about what practice was going to be like as they both played defense.

both came from a high school that didn't win the games they should have with the talent on their rosters in large part to a lack of discipline and intensity in practice. they beat most teams by flipping the switch.

second player lasted a year because he couldn't hack it, transferred to atm, and inspired the famous kenny cain line.

niko to me is odd because he basically started for 3 years. guy was limited in terms of size and speed and gave what he could, but for some reason acts like he was cheated of something.

i do know the friends i have who still coach in high school say it is a completely different world.

The reason Coach Patterson always loses his voice is because he is always yelling

I am not exaggerating when I say after EVERY PLAY in practice... EVERY PLAY... he found someone to yell at or something to yell about. Because he demands perfection... if there is no perfection he will yell about it. And I think he yelled even on plays where the defense was perfect. He'll just yell at the scout team for not giving enough effort, or something.

In fact Coach Patterson not yelling after a play in practice was so rare that I can only remember one instance of it, when Stephen Hodge made an interception in fall camp scrimmage and Coach Patterson told the other 10 defenders "Why are you all standing around? He made a good play! Go celebrate!". That is the only instance I can remember, ever.

The game winning 2 point conversion deflection at the Rose Bowl, Coach Patterson's reaction to that was to yell at Alex Ibolye for being out of position.

It takes a thick skin to be able to withstand being yelled at every day, so for some primma donnas, they can't handle it and take it personally.

Eight

Since someone else wrote this...this is 100 percent what happened. And the player was a repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat offender.

sad thing is, the young man has been on campus one year and complains about not getting playing time.

after reading his post that crypto put up why do i think there are more than a few reasons why he isn't getting playing time and he isn't mature enough to make the connection

CardFrog

Please do not bring that up again.
The reason Coach Patterson always loses his voice is because he is always yelling

I am not exaggerating when I say after EVERY PLAY in practice... EVERY PLAY... he found someone to yell at or something to yell about. Because he demands perfection... if there is no perfection he will yell about it. And I think he yelled even on plays where the defense was perfect. He'll just yell at the scout team for not giving enough effort, or something.

In fact Coach Patterson not yelling after a play in practice was so rare that I can only remember one instance of it, when Stephen Hodge made an interception in fall camp scrimmage and Coach Patterson told the other 10 defenders "Why are you all standing around? He made a good play! Go celebrate!". That is the only instance I can remember, ever.

The game winning 2 point conversion deflection at the Rose Bowl, Coach Patterson's reaction to that was to yell at Alex Ibolye for being out of position.

It takes a thick skin to be able to withstand being yelled at every day, so for some primma donnas, they can't handle it and take it personally.
TT thanks for your insight, I trust someone who has had first hand experience rather than the twittersphere [ Finebaum ]