• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Duggan on Maxwell Award Watch List

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/7/23/football-duggan-on-maxwell-award-watch-list.aspx

GoFrogs: Duggan on Maxwell Award Watch List

SOUTHAMPTON, Pa. -- TCU quarterback Max Duggan has been selected to the watch list for the Maxwell Award, presented annually to the most outstanding player in college football.

Duggan is one of just 15 sophomores nationally on the list.

Duggan was honorable-mention Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year last season. He was also the Davey O'Brien Award National Quarterback of the Week after leading the Horned Frogs to a 37-27 victory over Texas. Additionally, he was on the 2019-20 Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team.

A native of Council Bluffs, Iowa, Duggan started the final 10 games last year and set TCU true freshman records with 2,077 yards passing and 15 touchdown passes. He placed second on the Horned Frogs with 555 yards rushing and six touchdowns.

Duggan became just the second true freshman to start at quarterback in the 19-year tenure of TCU Head Coach Gary Patterson. He was also the third non-Texan to start at quarterback in the Patterson era. Duggan did not throw an interception with the first 143 pass attempts of his career, the second-longest streak in TCU history (154, Jeff Ballard, 2006). It was also the third-longest streak since 2008 for a Power 5 true freshman quarterback to begin his career without a pick.

Duggan totaled a career-best 398 yards of offense in the 33-31 win at Texas Tech. He had a career-high 115 yards rushing at Kansas State to become the first TCU quarterback with a 100-yard game since 2015. Duggan also ran for 72 yards against Texas and 86 versus Oklahoma State to become the first quarterback in four years to lead TCU in rushing in three consecutive games. Duggan also rushed for 92 yards against Oklahoma, including a career-long 62-yard carry and an 11-yard scoring run.

Duggan completed 19-of-27 passes for a then career-high 273 yards passing and two touchdowns in the win over Texas. His 11-yard touchdown run with 1:59 to play provided the Horned Frogs' final points to seal the victory. He became the first TCU quarterback to throw for at least 250 yards and multiple scores and rush for at least 70 yards and a touchdown in the same game since 2015.

Former TCU quarterback Davey O'Brien was the 1938 Maxwell Award recipient.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Duggan was not good last year......

Period.

He’ll have to learn to throw the ball where guys can catch it - before he contends for awards!

asleep003

We had a Top 5 WR in the country last year and couldn’t get him the bell.
Reagor(as our only big threat) was keyed on every game and that's why he didn't get the bell... a 21st draft pick is suppose to be able to get himself open and wasn't able to, it seems, in at least 1/2 the games.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

And this is the same quarterback that the pro scouts said was the worst ever, and kept Reagor from having great numbers last year. It is always easiest to blame someone else...
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fok Baylor!!
I'm sure that no pro scout ever said Duggan was the worst ever. In fact, I'm sure that many scouts are highly intrigued by his talent and potential and will be closely watching his development these next 2-3 years.

It's also inarguable that Max missed JR on a number of occasions in many games last year and that contributed to JR's productivity being way down. Max was a true freshman who probably wasn't ready to start at this level despite his immense talent.

FrogCop19

Duggan was not good last year......

Period.

He’ll have to learn to throw the ball where guys can catch it - before he contends for awards!
Not sure how that's your takeaway from the stats and article above. He wasn't perfect, but damn if he didn't show potential. Overthrown were his worst problem, but i would take those 10/10 times over underthrows. He ended up with 10 interceptions I believe, but he was running for his life because our O-line was literally playing matador with the defenses. Give him time in the pocket and he'll be golden.

froggy

Not sure how that's your takeaway from the stats and article above. He wasn't perfect, but damn if he didn't show potential. Overthrown were his worst problem, but i would take those 10/10 times over underthrows. He ended up with 10 interceptions I believe, but he was running for his life because our O-line was literally playing matador with the defenses. Give him time in the pocket and he'll be golden.
A lot of the interceptions were bounces off of receivers.

TRF51

Reagor(as our only big threat) was keyed on every game and that's why he didn't get the bell... a 21st draft pick is suppose to be able to get himself open and wasn't able to, it seems, in at least 1/2 the games.

Reagor was open all the time, go back and watch some of the stuff on YouTube with scouts breaking down his film, he was a great WR and was doubled or even tripled a lot. Max had a hard time throwing him a lot of accurate balls. I get Max will be great but he was a below average division one qb last year. His saving grace was he was a hell of a runner.