• The KillerFrogs

NBC 5: 58 Texas Horned Lizards Hatch at Fort Worth Zoo

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
safe_image.php

58 Texas Horned Lizards Hatch at Fort Worth Zoo

Also known as 'horny toads' or 'horned frogs,' they will be released into wild

By Scott Gordon

The Fort Worth Zoo is home to 58 baby Texas horned lizards and dozens more are expected to hatch soon, the zoo announced Monday.

The lizards, named for the horns on their heads, are considered a threatened species.

The zoo is breeding them as part of a conservation program with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

Read more at https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/58-texas-horned-lizards-hatch-at-fort-worth-zoo/2409834/

Bizarro Frog

Anyone know if an individual could participate in breeding them and releasing them into the wild? I think my family would be interested in that.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
We're a little too far north of their current habitat, which seems to start about Refugio and move further South into the mesquite country. The gravelley soil isn't a good habitat for Fire Ants, so the Harvester Ants thrive, and the little baby Horned Frogs won't be eaten.

But we do have plenty of Harvester Ants, so we're hopeful!

Horny4TCU

Anyone know if an individual could participate in breeding them and releasing them into the wild? I think my family would be interested in that.

We're a little too far north of their current habitat, which seems to start about Refugio and move further South into the mesquite country. The gravelley soil isn't a good habitat for Fire Ants, so the Harvester Ants thrive, and the little baby Horned Frogs won't be eaten.

But we do have plenty of Harvester Ants, so we're hopeful!

You really need to know where the Harvester Ants are, before you release these guys in the wild. I have only seen one Horned Frog in the natural in Ft. Worth and it was also by the only Harvester Ant colony I have ever seen in Ft. Worth. Fire Ants have really devastated both populations.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
You really need to know where the Harvester Ants are, before you release these guys in the wild. I have only seen one Horned Frog in the natural in Ft. Worth and it was also by the only Harvester Ant colony I have ever seen in Ft. Worth. Fire Ants have really devastated both populations.
We're in an odd "border area" that has populations of both. The soil here is not really to the fire ant's liking, so they really haven't had the strength to drive out competing critters. Thus we have several Harvester Ant nests in the immediate area, and, sadly some Leaf Cutter Ants with which I am on the warpath. Rotten [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] ate one of my peach trees three weeks ago...

FrogAbroad

In late 1949 my family moved into a new house just up the hill from Bluebonnet Circle. The neighborhood was still quite new, with some vacant lots still available and a small creek at the foot of the hill where Rogers Avenue meets Biddison. There were horned frogs all over the area: big 'uns, little 'uns...lots of them in our yard and in the surrounding areas, especially in multiple vacant lots just off Bluebonnet Circle. We caught them, kept them for a day or two, then let them go. By the time I moved away in '68 the horned frog population had dwindled significantly, and on return visits "back home" over the next 10 or so years I remember they disappeared from the area. They were fun little critters...I'm glad they're making a bit of a comeback in the wild.

Ray Finkle

IMG_7594.jpg
I've had them as pets (state where it's legal) and the biggest challenge is getting ants. I purchased ants on a monthly basis here:

https://www.antsalive.com/horned-lizard-food.htm

If you are on the N end of their territory, they will eat crickets but don't deviate from ants. Wild-caught horned lizards will hibernate. Their life spans aren't the longest. I also never handled them, as it stresses them too much.

If I was looking for one as a pet, I would opt for a Desert Horned Lizard or a Short Horned Lizard, as they are hardier than the Texas Horned Lizard. I've had many lizards over the years and successful Texas Horned Lizard captivity takes expert level care and some luck.

If someone wanted a lizard that was spiny, very docile, and very easy to care for, I cannot recommend Bearded Dragons enough. Give it a TCU name and roll with it, as their life span and appearance is hard to beat as a respectable replacement. They are from Australia and we have an Australian punter (hint, hint).

Last edited:

Bizarro Frog

View attachment 7623
I've had them as pets (state where it's legal) and the biggest challenge is getting ants. I purchased ants on a monthly basis here:

If you are on the N end of their territory, they will eat crickets but don't deviate from ants. Wild-caught horned lizards will hibernate. Their life spans aren't the longest. I also never handled them, as it stresses them too much.

If I was looking for one as a pet, I would opt for a Desert Horned Lizard or a Short Horned Lizard, as they are hardier than the Texas Horned Lizard. I've had many lizards over the years and successful Texas Horned Lizard captivity takes expert level care and some luck.

If someone wanted a lizard that was spiny, very docile, and very easy to care for, I cannot recommend Bearded Dragons enough. Give it a TCU name and roll with it, as their life span and appearance is hard to beat as a respectable replacement. They are from Australia and we have an Australian punter (hint, hint).
That is greatness.

Limp Lizard

Used to be lots of Harvester ants and horned lizards around the DFW area.
I am not sure when fire ants came into the area, but I think it was when I lived up North (1978-1983). I had never seen fire ants until we moved back here in 1983.
Actually, Harvester ants' sting hurts more than fire ants, but you only get one or two, whereas fire ants are much, much more aggressive and leave that pus-filled blister.

Brog

View attachment 7623

Old Rip, Miracle Horned Toad. In 1897 a horned toad was placed in the cornerstone of the courthouse in Eastland, Texas, as it was being sealed. People remembered the event, but no one thought much of it until February 18, 1928, when the courthouse was demolished. Still alive, they said.

Ray Finkle

Old Rip, Miracle Horned Toad. In 1897 a horned toad was placed in the cornerstone of the courthouse in Eastland, Texas, as it was being sealed. People remembered the event, but no one thought much of it until February 18, 1928, when the courthouse was demolished. Still alive, they said.
I'd believe the Dwight "The Myth" Smith tales long before I'd believe this one.

The 'Texas Horned Toad". reverently takes its place alongside the Alamo, San Jacinto, the Longhorn as

one of those storied symbols that makes Texas so special and uniquely sets it apart from other states.

Brog

Brog said:

I'd believe the Dwight "The Myth" Smith tales long before I'd believe this one.

Too damn many atheists around here, seems to me.