• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Snapshots of a legend - Bob Lilly

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
BB170IHN.img

Snapshots of a legend

By David Moore, The Dallas Morning News

He’s grown to accept the title, but that doesn’t make it any more comfortable.

Bob Lilly has been known as “Mr. Cowboy” ever since Roger Staubach hung that nickname on the future Hall of Famer more than five decades ago. Lilly understands why it stuck, but …

Well, more on that later.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/snapshots-of-a-legend/ar-BB170ymn

stbrab

BB170IHN.img

Snapshots of a legend

By David Moore, The Dallas Morning News

He’s grown to accept the title, but that doesn’t make it any more comfortable.

Bob Lilly has been known as “Mr. Cowboy” ever since Roger Staubach hung that nickname on the future Hall of Famer more than five decades ago. Lilly understands why it stuck, but …

Well, more on that later.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/snapshots-of-a-legend/ar-BB170ymn
That's a great story. I never had heard about him rigging the scales...that's priceless. He was my favorite Cowboy of that era.

Frog DJ

As a kid growing up less than a mile from TCU I often got on my bike and rode over to watch the Frogs practice in the afternoons after school.

Most of the players ignored the kids who hung around hoping for a glimpse of their idols, but Lilly always went out of his way to be nice to us.

Every time he'd see me he'd call out, "Hey, Red!", because I had bright red hair. I can even recall him taking the time to sit down and chat with me.

He was a genuinely nice man, and I thought he was the biggest human I'd ever seen. What a great player and ambassador for our alma mater.

Go Frogs!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Met him at homecoming one year when he was promoting his photography book. Large man! I asked him what he would have done with today’s weight and nutrition coaches. He just laughed and said who knows, “But I sure would like to have seen”
Nice man, signed my TCU baseball hat and let me try his Super Bowl ring on (which was rather normal next to the ones of today) and it rattled around on my thumb. My wife was drooling...

Last edited: