• The KillerFrogs

So TCU vs Alabama Talk Not Going Away?

Showtime Joe 2.0

Ohio State home and home was announced October 2,2012, our first season in the Big 12. The announcement we were joining the Big 12 was in October 2011, so plenty of time to end any discussions which might have been underway. Unfortunately home and home series between top teams has become a thing of the past for many programs. They prefer the big money , one time"Classic" games.
Thanks for the clarification on the timing of the Ohio State series but I'm pretty sure that at least the LSU contract was signed before October of 2011. Anyway, Alabama currently has home-and-home series scheduled with Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Oklahoma so we'll see if they follow through on those commitments. Hat's off to them if they do. I think I speak for almost all fans when I say that I prefer on-campus games to playing in sterile NFL stadiums like Jerry World. But money rules the roost in college football these days, to be sure.

HFrog12

It was my understanding at the time that LSU was not going to honor the reciprocal end of the deal (and play a game in Fort Worth), and if we wanted to play them at all, it would be in JerryWorld in a Big Time Football Extravaganza Game. That certainly does not show cowardice on our part, more like shrewd business sense.

As to tOSU, it stung like hell to see a Home Game against a True Blue Blood get yanked from us. That would have been a truly legendary game in Amon G. Carter. But, alas. There was a lot of conflicting blather at the time of the JerryWorld re-set, that Del Conte wanted the money, that GMFP didn't want to play a team like tOSU twice and potentially suffer a lot of injuries (2015 having just happened), and the fact that the risk-reward just wasn't there, given that winning the BIGXII would put us in the Playoff whether we won a matchup with tOSU or not.

I tend to think that, since TCU is not a Blue Blood, we need more weight than, say, OU or UT to get into the Playoff. 2014 showed this with crystalline clarity. Thus, we still need games like this. The Blue Bloods do not.

I guess there is some warranted injury data/fear, using the 2015 example, but I don't buy this excuse. Football is a violent game and people get dinged up no matter who the opponent is. A lot of people suggest you have a better chance of injury going through the motions against an FCS opponent than full speed against a better opponent.

It is very sad that TCU refuses to unlock the full potential of AGCS. If you get LSU, tOSU, or another big opponent like that at night then you would finally get an atmosphere like Utah. And while I am here I will also say how maddening it is to give up a home game every other year go play at a G5 school for free. We are going on our 4th straight year of only 6 home games at AGCS. Texas has had a bunch of seasons with only 6 home games but they play a neutral site game with OU every year and get ND, LSU, Bama and other schools to come play in their stadium. I am ok playing 6 home games so long as one of those is a big time program.

It is too bad we have such a beautiful stadium for no one to see.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It is very sad that TCU refuses to unlock the full potential of AGCS. If you get LSU, tOSU, or another big opponent like that at night then you would finally get an atmosphere like Utah.

There was a great deal of seething anger at Del Conte for "taking the money" and giving up a Home Game against tOSU. Some of it may even have been deserved. There were rumors, however, that tOSU was just going to cancel the games anyway if we didn't agree to the JerryWorld Extravaganza, so Del Conte may have been stuck between a rock and a hard place, with his Golden Bridge a $5,000,000 check.

I don't care a whit for the G5/Tomato Can games either. It steams me to drive up for a home opener against Prairie View, a game which would be it's closest at the kickoff, and then drive home. I get that it is a "win" and all, but, so what. Nobody cares. Like Nebraska opening each season against Murray St. No one cares. This is, however, an edict from GMFP. He has his reasons, to be sure, and I will say with full confidence that he has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, so I will grumble and defer...

Planks

I tend to think that, since TCU is not a Blue Blood, we need more weight than, say, OU or UT to get into the Playoff. 2014 showed this with crystalline clarity. Thus, we still need games like this. The Blue Bloods do not.

The problem with this conclusion is that you are assuming that a subjective committee would choose to “reward” TCU for playing a blue blood out of conference. I don’t trust the committee to ever give TCU the benefit of the doubt.

No undefeated P5 team has ever been left out of the playoffs. I think TCU’s best chance is always going to be to play the easiest schedule possible, and then hope to go undefeated. Make it objective, not subjective.

Showtime Joe 2.0

The problem with this conclusion is that you are assuming that a subjective committee would choose to “reward” TCU for playing a blue blood out of conference. I don’t trust the committee to ever give TCU the benefit of the doubt.

No undefeated P5 team has ever been left out of the playoffs. I think TCU’s best chance is always going to be to play the easiest schedule possible, and then hope to go undefeated. Make it objective, not subjective.
I understand your point but, remember, for us to go undefeated, we have to beat OU twice — a very tall task.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

While you are indeed correct about the impartiality of The Committee, taking the Warden Art approach to scheduling is, well, ugh...

There's a fine line in scheduling cupcakes: Too many, and you wind up getting annihilated by somebody who hasn't played cupcakes and who physically beats the crap out of you. The Even-Year schedule favors us quite a bit with most of the tough games at home. Getting somebody of some stature in here pre-Conference goes a long way towards making us look better.

HFrog12

There was a great deal of seething anger at Del Conte for "taking the money" and giving up a Home Game against tOSU. Some of it may even have been deserved. There were rumors, however, that tOSU was just going to cancel the games anyway if we didn't agree to the JerryWorld Extravaganza, so Del Conte may have been stuck between a rock and a hard place, with his Golden Bridge a $5,000,000 check.

I don't care a whit for the G5/Tomato Can games either. It steams me to drive up for a home opener against Prairie View, a game which would be it's closest at the kickoff, and then drive home. I get that it is a "win" and all, but, so what. Nobody cares. Like Nebraska opening each season against Murray St. No one cares. This is, however, an edict from GMFP. He has his reasons, to be sure, and I will say with full confidence that he has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, so I will grumble and defer...

Del Conte may have been stuck in a tough situation so I get that. But if that is the case then TCU needs to bolster their contracts so those type of schools can't back out.

I am with you. I don't care for the "Tomato Can" games either and I ultimately defer to GP. Maybe he likes the SMU setup, even though it has angered him many times. The FCS deal at the beginning of the year sucks but everyone has that type of game on their schedule. What other schools of our caliber don't have is playing AT a G5 school every other year.

At the end of the day we have one of the nicest stadiums in all of college football, even though it is not the biggest. We joined the B12 in 2012 and from that time until 2030 our biggest non-con home opponents will have been Arky, Cal, Stanford, Purdue, Colorado, and UNC. Don't get me wrong I will take those opponents all day over FCS of G5 but it would be nice to get a big SEC of Big 10 school in AGCS.

jake102

For TCU - the strategic scheduling needs to be around making sure we are almost certain to get into the playoff as Big 12 champ with one loss. Going 13-0 is a very very tall task given you are going to have to play someone twice. Basically what OU has done every single year.... they slip up somewhere and have a bad game but win the one that counts (Big 12 CCG)

TK2000

The problem with our CFP chances is our consistency. Right now the only team the CFP committee trusts in our conf is OU. We seem to catch lightning in a bottle for two years and rattle off 11 or 10 wins and get to B12 Championship game. Then we fizzle and have 5 or 6 wins. We have to make it like the old Big 12 where the winner of the TX/OU game was the contender. We need to become that team people think can compete nationally like OU. We need to be Playing in the conf championship game 4 out of 5 years,,, always on the brink. Then they will allow us a loss or two in the regular season. If OU loses to K State people say they had a bad day, if we do they say “told you, TCU isn’t really top 10 this year”

Froginbedford

The problem with our CFP chances is our consistency. Right now the only team the CFP committee trusts in our conf is OU. We seem to catch lightning in a bottle for two years and rattle off 11 or 10 wins and get to B12 Championship game. Then we fizzle and have 5 or 6 wins. We have to make it like the old Big 12 where the winner of the TX/OU game was the contender. We need to become that team people think can compete nationally like OU. We need to be Playing in the conf championship game 4 out of 5 years,,, always on the brink. Then they will allow us a loss or two in the regular season. If OU loses to K State people say they had a bad day, if we do they say “told you, TCU isn’t really top 10 this year”

And others go a bit farther, resurrecting the "you can't handle the week-to-week grind of Big12 football".....

helcap

For TCU - the strategic scheduling needs to be around making sure we are almost certain to get into the playoff as Big 12 champ with one loss. Going 13-0 is a very very tall task given you are going to have to play someone twice. Basically what OU has done every single year.... they slip up somewhere and have a bad game but win the one that counts (Big 12 CCG)
upload_2020-7-20_14-30-6.jpeg

Froginbedford

Just for general information purposes....UNLV has removed an on-campus statue depicting its Rebel mascot and administrators have said there is discussion about changing the mascot....All artistic representations are heavily reminiscent of a southern colonel-like individual....Historically, there was a considerable pro-Confederate population in Nevada Territory before and during the Civil War....UNLV is located in that southern geographic part of the state....Originally the school was known as Nevada Southern....I think UNLV and Mississippi may now be only major colleges with the Rebel theme....Ole Miss eliminated use of "Dixie" as its fight song about 20 years ago....