• The KillerFrogs

So TCU vs Alabama Talk Not Going Away?

JugbandFrog

There may be other factors at play. I was kidding above, but it may very well be that Saban does not want to face a GMFP defense in the first game.

It's just hard for me to imagine GMFP being afraid to play anyone, considering the tremendous upside.
He has always done that. When previous opportunities have presented themselves, I have heard it was LHCGP who nixed the deals.
His weakness is his vanity. He is afraid his defense will look bad.

CountryFrog

He has always done that. When previous opportunities have presented themselves, I have heard it was LHCGP who nixed the deals.
He has ALWAYS done that? So you're saying that we've never once played a single big time opponent because GP has ALWAYS said no?

Salfrog

Tier 1
He has ALWAYS done that? So you're saying that we've never once played a single big time opponent because GP has ALWAYS said no?

GP's motto when we were in CUSA & MWC was anyone, anytime, anywhere. Since we have joined the BIG12, he has definitely backed off of that stance quite a bit.

Whether he feels he no longer needs these type games, or doesn't want someone to make his defense look bad, or knows his offense isn't good enough. That's for debate, but he does back away from big games now that he wouldn't have before.

ifrog

GP's motto when we were in CUSA & MWC was anyone, anytime, anywhere. Since we have joined the BIG12, he has definitely backed off of that stance quite a bit.

Whether he feels he no longer needs these type games, or doesn't want someone to make his defense look bad, or knows his offense isn't good enough. That's for debate, but he does back away from big games now that he wouldn't have before.
Exactly - and he has admitted that this is the approach at his recent luncheons the past few years

Last edited:

netty2424

The line that he had could of gone anywhere after his knee was destroyed is the confusing part.
I didn’t say anything about his knee. You’re making a simple well wishing statement into something it’s not.

Further, he committed to this program before the knee injury. And before the knee injury, he could’ve chosen any program in the country.

McFroggin

So we had LSU scheduled against his wishes? Ohio State too? Surprised he hasn’t walked out on us.

Showtime Joe 2.0

So we had LSU scheduled against his wishes? Ohio State too? Surprised he hasn’t walked out on us.
If you'll recall, we had home-and-home series on the books with LSU and Ohio State but both of those series were changed to "one-and-dones" at Jerry World. And while it's never been proven in a court of law, it's a commonly held assumption that Patterson was the driving force behind altering both of those series since he only wanted to play the Buckeyes and the Bayou Bengals once instead of twice. Patterson's ideal "stretch" or "yardstick" non-league opponents are teams like Purdue, Cal, Minnesota, Colorado, etc. I really don't think there's much debate about this. For whatever reason, he's gun-shy about playing the real Big Boys of the sport.

Horned Toad

If you'll recall, we had home-and-home series on the books with LSU and Ohio State but both of those series were changed to "one-and-dones" at Jerry World. And while it's never been proven in a court of law, it's a commonly held assumption that Patterson was the driving force behind altering both of those series since he only wanted to play the Buckeyes and the Bayou Bengals once instead of twice. Patterson's ideal "stretch" or "yardstick" non-league opponents are teams like Purdue, Cal, Minnesota, Colorado, etc. I really don't think there's much debate about this. For whatever reason, he's gun-shy about playing the real Big Boys of the sport.
I don’t understand this logic. He had to play any “real big boy” game he could get in the MWC days because that was the only measuring stick he had to base the quality of his teams on for the post season. He’s already playing “the real big boys” during conference play now. So he’s gun-shy if he doesn’t play more real big boys? He’s playing at least nine of them each year.

McFroggin

So you think the games were scheduled against CGP’s wishes initially, so CGP would call around to find an option in which admin (not him) would profit millions of dollars to drop it to 1 game. CGP still didn’t have any say in such schedule, so admin did it again for the extra $$$?

Showtime Joe 2.0

I don’t understand this logic. He had to play any “real big boy” game he could get in the MWC days because that was the only measuring stick he had to base the quality of his teams on for the post season. He’s already playing “the real big boys” during conference play now. So he’s gun-shy if he doesn’t play more real big boys? He’s playing at least nine of them each year.
Who are you kidding? We don't play NINE consistent, perennial powers in the Big 12 every season. Texas has been down ever since we joined the conference; the only Big Boy we face every year is OU. But you're right that Patterson's scheduling mentality changed once we got into the Big 12. He doesn't think we need to play a particularly challenging non-league schedule any more because we're now part of the Power Five and the Big 12 is admittedly a lot tougher than the prior conferences that Patterson coached us in.

Showtime Joe 2.0

So you think the games were scheduled against CGP’s wishes initially, so CGP would call around to find an option in which admin (not him) would profit millions of dollars to drop it to 1 game. CGP still didn’t have any say in such schedule, so admin did it again for the extra $$$?
If I'm not mistaken, the contracts for both the LSU and Ohio State series were inked before we joined the Big 12. As I explained in an earlier post, once we go into that conference, Patterson didn't want to take chances on playing truly stellar non-conference opponents any more so, yes, he lobbied to get those series reduced to admittedly profitable "one-and-dones" at Jerry World.

4 Oaks Frog

I don’t think that is the case. When you play a high power team like Bama, you run a greater chance of someone getting hurt. I think LAWHCGMFP looks more at that than anything else. Personally, I hope we do get Bama at the Carter or Jerry’s World.
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood~~<~<and fok baylor!!

froginmn

I have to respectfully disagree.

Between 2001 and 2011 (pre Big 12) we played a limited number of games against top ten programs.

2001 Nebraska (Patterson's first year as HC; he didn't really schedule this)
2005 Oklahoma
2007 Texas
2008 Oklahoma

2009 Clemson would be a stretch, because that was during their down years

So somewhere between 3 and 5 games in 11 years (3 against current conference mates), and since joining the Big 12 we have two such games (LSU and tOSU).

I don't see it as a huge change in philosophy. I think in those days we saw Stanford, Virginia, and Oregon State as bigger than they are.

helcap

Ohio State home and home was announced October 2,2012, our first season in the Big 12. The announcement we were joining the Big 12 was in October 2011, so plenty of time to end any discussions which might have been underway. Unfortunately home and home series between top teams has become a thing of the past for many programs. They prefer the big money , one time"Classic" games.

froginmn

If I'm not mistaken, the contracts for both the LSU and Ohio State series were inked before we joined the Big 12. As I explained in an earlier post, once we go into that conference, Patterson didn't want to take chances on playing truly stellar non-conference opponents any more so, yes, he lobbied to get those series reduced to admittedly profitable "one-and-dones" at Jerry World.
tOSU was announced Oct 2012, our first year in B12.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It was my understanding at the time that LSU was not going to honor the reciprocal end of the deal (and play a game in Fort Worth), and if we wanted to play them at all, it would be in JerryWorld in a Big Time Football Extravaganza Game. That certainly does not show cowardice on our part, more like shrewd business sense.

As to tOSU, it stung like hell to see a Home Game against a True Blue Blood get yanked from us. That would have been a truly legendary game in Amon G. Carter. But, alas. There was a lot of conflicting blather at the time of the JerryWorld re-set, that Del Conte wanted the money, that GMFP didn't want to play a team like tOSU twice and potentially suffer a lot of injuries (2015 having just happened), and the fact that the risk-reward just wasn't there, given that winning the BIGXII would put us in the Playoff whether we won a matchup with tOSU or not.

I tend to think that, since TCU is not a Blue Blood, we need more weight than, say, OU or UT to get into the Playoff. 2014 showed this with crystalline clarity. Thus, we still need games like this. The Blue Bloods do not.