• The KillerFrogs

ESPN alert - Big 10 going to conference only

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
...and he wants to know what they will be doing if schools don't reopen because he doesn't feel it is right that much of his property taxes go to people who aren't doing anything
Hence the conundrum of Government at all levels. It is an especially stinging realization in the Schools, considering the fruit of their labors out currently burning and destroying history, that so much has been paid to so many for so long for such ghastly results. Every year, the letters would arrive with demands for exorbitant amounts of money for the few pitiful acres and buildings which I owned. Every year, the amounts increased. I had kids from the School District to which I paid these ridiculous sums apply for jobs at the businesses I rented to; A choice opportunity to see what this annual Danegeld was yielding to Society. Each resume was a sad comedy. The in-person applications were awful in their own way, with misspellings of basic words and truly horrible penmanship. Not a one of them was fit to unclog a toilet.

Of course, it will only get worse. As a fellow in my late 50's, I can look forward with confidence that one of these stunted twerps, the product of our expensive and of-so-sensitive Schools, will be standing over me with a mask and gown saying, "Good morning, Mr. Wood! Today we're going to be removing your heart!"

"Psst, Doctor! Stent! Not a cardio-ectomy!"

"Really? Gosh! I guess I'd better look those charts over a bit more before scrubbing down... So, Mr. Smith! Today, we'll be removing your liver!"

HFrog12

There is the little girl(13) in the hospital for 2 week presently with fever jumping from 101 to 103 back and forth, while supposedly parents saying they were careful. Please don't get that cavalierish attitude towards your loved ones. Be strong!

I will start by saying that I really hope that isn't your little girl. If so, sending prayers your way. I lost my 97 y/o grandfather to Covid. I never got to see him because our family was trying to guard against it from the beginning. Unfortunately one of his caregivers have it to him.

Not that it makes any difference whether it is your daughter or anyone else in world's daughter but I would imagine there are tons of young people in the hospital with fever jumping all over the place and have nothing do to with Covid. That is the unfortunate part of life.

These are the stats from the CDC since February. Mind you I am not sure what other data to go off of...

Deaths since February: Ages 0-14
Covid - 29
Pneumonia - 176
Flu - 100

Deaths since February: Ages 14-24
Covid - 142
Pneumonia - 247
Flu - 51

Obviously looking at the data there is concern of Covid as it relates to the Flu for ages 14-24, which is the most social population.

I personally have two kids under 4 years old and we have been taking it very seriously. But I do not expect to be locked down every time I hear of 1 case about a person in the hospital. I can be careful and be essentially locked down while also recognizing that Covid is not a threat for my little ones. My ultimate precaution is so that I don't infect a more susceptible age group.

Last edited:

06DallasFrog

I will start by saying that I really hope that isn't your little girl. If so, sending prayers your way. I lost my 97 y/o grandfather to Covid. I never got to see him because our family was trying to guard against it from the beginning. Unfortunately one of his caregivers have it to him.

Not that it makes any difference whether it is your daughter or anyone else in world's daughter but I would imagine there are tons of young people in the hospital with fever jumping all over the place and have nothing do to with Covid. That is the unfortunate part of life.

These are the stats from the CDC since February. Mind you I am not sure what other data to go off of...

Deaths since February: Ages 0-14
Covid - 29
Pneumonia - 176
Flu - 100

Deaths since February: Ages 14-24
Covid - 142
Pneumonia - 247
Flu - 51

Obviously looking at the data there is concern of Covid as it relates to the Flu for ages 14-24, which is the most social population.

I personally have two kids under 4 years old and we have been taking it very seriously. But I do not expect to be locked down every time I hear of 1 case about a person in the hospital. I can be careful and be essentially locked down while also recognizing that Covid is not a threat for my little ones. My ultimate precaution is so that I don't infect a more susceptible age group.

I have a friend who currently has pneumonia from COVID. I have read in the past that a pneumonia related death will eventually be reallocated to COVID. Are their notes on this connecting the two at all?

Deep Purple

It's going to be a messy situation for colleges to try and justify no change to tuition while forcing 100% virtual classes.

Nope. Still gotta pay staff to operate admissions, financial aid, registration, and other administrative functions. Still gotta pay faculty to teach online courses. Parents save money in no room and board costs. University revenue is reduced because of losses from auxiliary enterprises like conferences services, reduced bookstore sales, lost athletic revenue, etc. Financially, not at all hard to explain why universities aren’t in a position to cut tuition.

tetonfrog

Are you serious? Having 20-30 kids in the same classroom, then moving to another classroom with a different set of 20-30 kids, is a lot more of a spread risk than having the same two kids sharing a dorm room.

I work at a hotel in a suburb of Denver & one college (can’t remember if it is CCU or a juco) has reserved 80 rooms for a month in august because they are limiting students to either 1 in a normal dorm room or 2 in a bigger dorm room. They asked us to put a soft hold after 30 days because they may need them the entire semester.

I used to live very close to DU (it was basically 90% student housing & I could walk Across the street to the hockey arena). DU has now put a hold on every available apt there for dorm spillover if necessary.

Also, the Homewood suites in boulder will be housing dorm students from CU, too.

so, it looks like it won’t be business as usual in the dorms either.

Nope. Still gotta pay staff to operate admissions, financial aid, registration, and other administrative functions. Still gotta pay faculty to teach online courses. Parents save money in no room and board costs. University revenue is reduced because of losses from auxiliary enterprises like conferences services, reduced bookstore sales, lost athletic revenue, etc. Financially, not at all hard to explain why universities aren’t in a position to cut tuition.
I agree on the surface but would add that "online classes" is not a financially sustainable business model in its current format (full tuition). I already have "online classes" (and a whole lot more, for that matter) and it cost me $1,200: My iPhone.

FinanceFrog

Hence the conundrum of Government at all levels. It is an especially stinging realization in the Schools, considering the fruit of their labors out currently burning and destroying history, that so much has been paid to so many for so long for such ghastly results. Every year, the letters would arrive with demands for exorbitant amounts of money for the few pitiful acres and buildings which I owned. Every year, the amounts increased. I had kids from the School District to which I paid these ridiculous sums apply for jobs at the businesses I rented to; A choice opportunity to see what this annual Danegeld was yielding to Society. Each resume was a sad comedy. The in-person applications were awful in their own way, with misspellings of basic words and truly horrible penmanship. Not a one of them was fit to unclog a toilet.

Of course, it will only get worse. As a fellow in my late 50's, I can look forward with confidence that one of these stunted twerps, the product of our expensive and of-so-sensitive Schools, will be standing over me with a mask and gown saying, "Good morning, Mr. Wood! Today we're going to be removing your heart!"

"Psst, Doctor! Stent! Not a cardio-ectomy!"

"Really? Gosh! I guess I'd better look those charts over a bit more before scrubbing down... So, Mr. Smith! Today, we'll be removing your liver!"

i think this takes the top spot for most boomer post in kfc history.

texas_sicilian

Maintenance and utilities, grounds keeping and janitorial services, food and beverage management, full campus security, transportation and shuttle services, etc.

There are a ton of overhead costs that would be rendered much less significant in priority if “campus life” ceased to operate as we know it for the foreseeable future.

If no costs are being saved, that would indicate poor management or an administration that is simply lining the school’s pockets.

Last edited:

Eight

Maintenance and utilities, grounds keeping and janitorial services, food and beverage management, full campus security, transportation and shuttle services, etc.

There are a ton of overhead costs that would be rendered much less significant in priority if “campus life” ceased to operate as we know it for the foreseeable future.

If no costs are being saved, that would indicate poor management or an administration that is simply lining the school’s pockets.

this. why would i be paying for the maintenance of buildings we aren't in, support personnel that don't matter to me if i am not on campus

seriously now, which online college charges close to 25,000 for 12-18 semester hours, heck gcu is already using our logo so why not target our stay at home students.

consider their pricing for semester hours.

"Online and evening rates vary depending on the program of study. The typical range for all undergraduate programs is $395 to $470 cost per credit hour. Graduate classes range from $365 to $695 per credit, depending on the area of study. The cost per credit hour for doctoral programs is $695. A special rate is available for those in active duty and active reserve."

reading the page for their bsn's, they are being very, very aggressive in their discounts and scholarships

https://www.gcu.edu/tuition/online-evening

curious how the greek systems plans on dealing with the remote schooling. do you still have to pay dues?

HFrog12

I have a friend who currently has pneumonia from COVID. I have read in the past that a pneumonia related death will eventually be reallocated to COVID. Are their notes on this connecting the two at all?

Yea the CDC has a separate tab for Covid+pneumonia deaths. I take that to mean that pneumonia only deaths tested negative for Covid, which is the number I posted for pneumonia earlier. I can’t imagine they aren’t tested every pneumonia type symptoms for covid right now.