• The KillerFrogs

ESPN alert - Big 10 going to conference only

jake102

I bet I could tell you how all of those school presidents vote (plus or minus 1). I think decisions like these are less about the election and more about how those on one side of the aisle have eaten up every headline that treats this virus like the Black Plague.

It’s lawyers man.

LVH -

You are clueless !! It has nothing to do with which opponent is more safe or unsafe to play. The foolishness on this board is legendary !!

Let me spell it out for you since you apparently need to be spoon fed.

By cancelling non conference the season won’t start for B10 teams til Oct 15th instead of Sept 1st.

Eliminating non-conference games allows the League to delay the season 6 full weeks which buys them a lot of time. By delaying the season like that, the league is hoping and praying the extra time gives the country time enough so that the virus is more under control and the States will open up more by then.

This is all about DELAY DELAY DELAY so that some portion of the football season can be salvaged.

You gotta put your big boy undies on and pay attention LVH !! You can’t count on everyone being as nice as I am and spoon feeding you when you are wandering around clueless with no idea what is going on in the big boy world.

This doesn't make any sense. At all. Please tell me how this protects anyone from the virus. How is a Rutgers-Nebraska game SAFE, but a Rutgers-Temple game UNSAFE

Zubaz

You can't have a 4 team playoff if everyone goes conference only.

The only way to measure conference strength is non conference games.

If all games are contained to conference play, how can one possibly definitively say a 12-0 Alabama is better than a 12-0 Appalachian State or UCF?
I would almost guarantee that if there's no OOC games, then the post-season is, at best, in major major jeopardy. I'm guessing that CCG's will be the last games of the season (assuming we get that far), and we'll have a pre-1998 selected national champ.

jake102

I would almost guarantee that if there's no OOC games, then the post-season is, at best, in major major jeopardy. I'm guessing that CCG's will be the last games of the season (assuming we get that far), and we'll have a pre-1998 selected national champ.

Why? Are three extra games really that big of a deal? TCU has to travel to WVU for Gods sake. I can see cancelling all of the bowls, but not the playoff

Ron Swanson

I am talking about it from a math standpoint

The reason we know the Sun Belt is worse than the SEC is because in September the Sun Belt teams line up to get whooped by the SEC.

Without any of that though, we would have no definitive way to prove the SEC is better than the Sun Belt.

If UCF or SMU plays an AAC only 10 game schedule + CCG, and goes 11-0, and say the SEC and Big 12 teams all play a 10 game conference schedule and both league champs are 10-1, there is no definitive way to prove that the SEC/Big 12 schedules were tougher than the AAC schedules. Because there is no non conference records to "prove" that the SEC/Big 12 were better than the AAC. It can be assumed, but not proven
You’re explaining this concept to us like it’s complicated. Yeah we get it, if leagues don’t play each other, you can’t compare the league’s strength from an objective standpoint. This is not groundbreaking stuff here.

Zubaz

Why? Are three extra games really that big of a deal? TCU has to travel to WVU for Gods sake. I can see cancelling all of the bowls, but not the playoff
I could see that last bit as well, too much money on the table (especially I believe this is a Rose/Sugar year).

I would imagine they are trying to limit contact, but conference games are harder to cancel. So while it's probably less risky to play, say, SMU than get on a plane to WVU, both of those options are less risky than the two combined, and we're bound to our conference mates.

froginmn

My daughter registered for classes last week at U of Wisconsin. Yesterday she looked and the schedule she had made was gone; it looked like everything switched to online.

Might have just been a ghost in the machine but she's not real happy right now.

TCUdirtbag

If all conferences follow suit it really screws ND, see there is a bright side after all.

With ND’s ACC schedule alliance and the league’s 8-game schedule they would probably actually add ACC opponents and they would work to get each team to 9.

BYU is probably in a lot of trouble though.

texas_sicilian

My daughter registered for classes last week at U of Wisconsin. Yesterday she looked and the schedule she had made was gone; it looked like everything switched to online.

Might have just been a ghost in the machine but she's not real happy right now.
Read yesterday that several parents are beginning to sue universities that do not intend to change pricing. Don't blame them. It's going to be a messy situation for colleges to try and justify no change to tuition while forcing 100% virtual classes.