• The KillerFrogs

Athletic Business: Big 12 Mulls Criteria for Canceling, Postponing Games

TX_Krötenechse

Sixty Texans died yesterday from COVID. Do you just not care? They’re old, right, so let them die?

Deaths are on the rise. Hospitalizations are on the rise. Infections are on the rise. None of this is in dispute - you can see the numbers on any news site. The fact that the lethality rate is relatively low sounds fun until you see how incredibly pervasive and contagious this is. Let’s go with your number of 0.16% death rate - that means that more than half a million Americans will die. More than any disaster, any war (minus Civil) that America has faced.

but sure, half a million dead countrymen is a small price to pay for football!

Brog

Doesn't have much to do with football, but here's an interesting result of the Covid-19 crisis. Across the country, the death rate for diabetes, cardiac problems, strokes, obesity and several more such items is going DOWN! Why? Because now the people with those problems who contract Covid-19 and die are said to die from this new disease. Fewer dying from diabetes, strokes, etc, etc. Strange.

Eight

Sixty Texans died yesterday from COVID. Do you just not care? They’re old, right, so let them die?

Deaths are on the rise. Hospitalizations are on the rise. Infections are on the rise. None of this is in dispute - you can see the numbers on any news site. The fact that the lethality rate is relatively low sounds fun until you see how incredibly pervasive and contagious this is. Let’s go with your number of 0.16% death rate - that means that more than half a million Americans will die. More than any disaster, any war (minus Civil) that America has faced.

guess it is time we just all go hide then right?

Wexahu

The Spanish flu killed 195,000 Americans in Oct 2018. That's the equivalent of 567,000 today, in a single month. So even if half a million die, it will be far from the worst disaster in our history.

It's not that nobody cares. It's just that we don't ONLY care about COVID deaths. It's the thinking that we can't just shut down the country because people are dying of COVID, life needs to go on as close to normal as absolutely possible, otherwise the costs are more damaging than COVID itself.

Eight

Random dudes on twitter always have quality conspiracy theories.

i would say this is complete [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] simply because not only are tests like gold, but exactly who in the world did he charge the 100 tests to for billing?

my wife gripes about having to code absolutely everything they use for proper billing and they get questioned all the time.

this guy supposedly requests 100 bogus tests and no one notices?

IF half a million Americans would die BECAUSE football was being played, then we wouldn’t be having the discussion in the first place and you know that so it’s completely a straw man argument.

LVH

2900 have died either OF COVID or WITH COVID in Texas. Let's say all 2900 have died due to COVID instead of simply dying with COVID.

Still 5600 deaths short of the 2018 Flu deaths in Texas. We would have to see 93 straight 60+ death days to match the 2018 Texas flu deaths.

Where was all your concern in 2018 of the 8500 dead of flu in Texas? Why didn't you get on the phone and call AD Donati and urge him not to send Jamie Dixon & Co to the NCAA Tournament? Or demand the end of the TCU baseball season that year?

All of these pro/college athletes have gotten this virus and NOT ONE HAS DIED. In the entire world. No single athlete or former athlete in the entire WORLD under the age of 40 who has died.

Don't cower. There is zero reason to not play this season. For any sport. The players are not going to die. None have. On Earth.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Evidently, you are not yet finished with the contents of my septic tank...

So, what you're saying, is that any risk is too great? Anything we do which carries a risk of death, or, maybe a few days of a cough or fever is too risky to engage in?

According to your evident level of safety coercion, we will have to encase each and every person in an airtight, impenetrable inflatasuit. This suit will sustain the occupant through 1.) Coughs, 2.) Colds, 3.) Cometary impacts, 4.) Global Thermonuclear War, and 5.) Twinkie shortages. Further, we will bury each person in a mile deep shaft so as to lessen the possibility of cosmic rays, solar radiation and Saharan Dust. No bananas will be allowed, as they are radioactive. People will live at the bottom of their shafts, totally isolated, and will communicate with others via Facebook only. No contact with other people is allowed!!! This isolation is for our safety, and will be continued for the duration of the crisis.

Any persons deviating from this strict set of commands will be excoriated for endangering the entirety of the Human Race, and shunned for all time (or, for the duration of the crisis, whichever comes first).

Snark aside, yeah, all of us who would like to live our lives are just Old People Killers. I didn't wear a mask in my truck today. Must've killed at least a dozen...

LVH

The Spanish flu killed 195,000 Americans in Oct 2018. That's the equivalent of 567,000 today, in a single month. So even if half a million die, it will be far from the worst disaster in our history.

It's not that nobody cares. It's just that we don't ONLY care about COVID deaths. It's the thinking that we can't just shut down the country because people are dying of COVID, life needs to go on as close to normal as absolutely possible, otherwise the costs are more damaging than COVID itself.

What's to say that if a football player gets it, that he got it FROM football? How do we know he didn't get it in the dorms? A bar? The grocery store? Visiting family?

Deaths are up, yes, but they are up no where near the rate of cases. "Cases" have multipled ten fold, but deaths in Texas have gone from about 30 a day in June to now 40 a day in the month of July. 25% increase, but in raw numbers its really statistical noise.

East Coast

Tier 1

IMO LVH doesn't care at all. I've stated on here we need to get as much of the economy going as possible, keeping in mind that we want to keep our high risk people as safe as possible.

As stated in another thread, I have lost 6 people to this virus. That's pretty damn tragic.

LVH

Doesn't have much to do with football, but here's an interesting result of the Covid-19 crisis. Across the country, the death rate for diabetes, cardiac problems, strokes, obesity and several more such items is going DOWN! Why? Because now the people with those problems who contract Covid-19 and die are said to die from this new disease. Fewer dying from diabetes, strokes, etc, etc. Strange.

This is what happens when the government gives out money to hospitals when they classify a hospitalization or death as COVID. They reclassify deaths as COVID to get the extra $$$. This is one reason why I am very skeptical about hospitalization and death numbers.

LVH

IMO LVH doesn't care at all. I've stated on here we need to get as much of the economy going as possible, keeping in mind that we want to keep our high risk people as safe as possible.

As stated in another thread, I have lost 6 people to this virus. That's pretty damn tragic.

Saying I don't care is weak, but, the average age of death for coronavirus is 81 years old. US life expectancy is 79... so clearly this virus simply finishes people off. How many of those dying of this who were age 80+ were already on the brink of death anyway? If COVID didn't get them, something else would have.

To further emphasize the fact the response to this virus is political, the same people decrying how if we play football this year and reopen our economy 100% then we "will be killing grandma!!!", are the same people who ignore the fact governors in blue states forced COVID positive patients into nursing homes and long term care facilities on purpose which led to thousands of deaths.

Eight

This binary choice crap has got to stop. You can want sports to open back up with a certain degree of calculated risk w/o being a heartless capitalist that wants to kill grandma.

wait a minute, there is no room for reason or a middle ground on anything do you hear me....

do you honestly expect us to believe compromise and working together could possibly get anything done?

Klaw

I think so. Stewart Mandel is already trying to shame P5 conferences into folding, saying that it would be bad optics to play when the Ivy League isn't because it would show the P5 leagues care more about money than safety

Congratulations, democrats. You all have successfully ruined sports because you keep insisting this virus is black plague 2.0 even though the stats show its pretty much the flu.

OMG a virus that 99.84% of people survive(and thats including forced nursing home deaths) how will we ever manage

Does Stewart Mandel understand that college football needs to happen or he may be unemployed?

Most of these sports writers need to take a finance class or two to understand how the real world functions.

Big Frog II

curious, what was the right way?

not being political, but when i hear people talk about handling the virus the "right way" exactly what was, is the right way
Not being political, but having gotten rid of the pandemic team for starts was a horrendous move. Then we basically denied the virus existed until March. That is not how you prepare for something like this. Once we got to March is was too late. Then we started opening up too soon without any sort of guidelines. Then masks were made political. No one is on the same page, because we have not had a unified message. The results are what we see today.

Eight

Not being political, but having gotten rid of the pandemic team for starts was a horrendous move. Then we basically denied the virus existed until March. That is not how you prepare for something like this. Once we got to March is was too late. Then we started opening up too soon without any sort of guidelines. Then masks were made political. No one is on the same page, because we have not had a unified message. The results are what we see today.

i am not sure the pandemic team does much more if they aren't in control. part of the problem has been everyone has fought their time in the spotlight be it the cdc, the fda, dr. doom, brix, the various governors, the president, various heads of political parties, and the message being delivered via the media

i think the response we saw is as much a byproduct of what has been happening in this country as anything else and i don't mean trump. i mean that value of the individual versus the collective good.

right now i think you could open the season, but we won't simply out of fear of possibly being wrong.