• The KillerFrogs

TCU Cancels Graduation

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If they cancel football, then they are utter fools.

This virus panic has about run it's course. The "new cases!!!!" scare is a load of crap, and the death rate keeps falling. People who do get sick are ill for a few days at most, and quickly recover (Yes, 3 people I personally know). The majority of actual cases are still asymptomatic. Death rate among younger persons (below 65) is pitifully low. All of the trend lines are heading downward.

There is no reason to cancel the season. None.

jake102

If they cancel football, then they are utter fools.

This virus panic has about run it's course. The "new cases!!!!" scare is a load of crap, and the death rate keeps falling. People who do get sick are ill for a few days at most, and quickly recover (Yes, 3 people I personally know). The majority of actual cases are still asymptomatic. Death rate among younger persons (below 65) is pitifully low. All of the trend lines are heading downward.

There is no reason to cancel the season. None.

Unfortunately hospitalizations are rising across many states, which is what matters most in terms of being a lead indicator. I certainly agree that the actual athletes are at little risk.

Chongo94

I always thought graduation ceremonies were overrated. I don’t remember anything special about mine from TCU; we didn’t even get to sit by your friends since everything is alphabetical. Graduation Parties on the other hand are awesome. Not being able to get boozed up with your parents and have your dad embarrass himself in front all your friends is the true tragedy in my opinion.

My undergrad one was in the evening and I was still carrying a drunk from the night before ugh. Only reason I went to any of mine was because my parents basically made me.

Atomic Frawg

Unfortunately hospitalizations are rising across many states, which is what matters most in terms of being a lead indicator. I certainly agree that the actual athletes are at little risk.

This is not directed at you, but this type of statement is easy to say, right up until it's your kid that dies. Football comes with inherent risks for the athletes - paralysis, surgeries, and sometimes training related deaths - that universities and the NCAA are obligated to try to mitigate. To a large extent they do well, even when it's against public sentiment (like reducing hits to QBs or targeting infractions). But no one wants to be the school that has the kid die in the name of sports entertainment dolla dolla bills y'all.

In this instance, they also have to consider the spectators. As a lawyer, do I think anyone prove to any degree of certainty that he/she caught COVID at a game and link it to TCU? No. Should they try to find ways to mitigate even still, I think yes. The OP has some alternatives that at least merit discussion. Who's to say whether Boschini and the trustees did or didn't think about those options? They made a decision that they think was the right thing to do being a member of the Fort Worth community. Everyone isn't happy about it, but neither were the parents of millions of high schoolers who didn't get to walk. Still, people came up with unique ways to recognize those students and their parents, and, as far as I can tell, life has moved on.

I'm still hoping that we have football this season, and that no one dies from COVID in the process.

YA

TCU faculty is about to go to war with the administration. New article coming out in paper about not wanting in person school this fall. Basically saying they are not going to come to the campus if the Administration orders them to. Want basically the whole admin staff to be removed as well.

Last edited:

jake102

TCU faculty is about to go to war with the administration. New article coming out in paper about not wanting in person school this fall. Basically saying they are not going to come to the campus if the Administration orders them too. Want basically the whole admin staff to be removed as well.

Yeah this has been brewing for weeks. I hope students across the country refuse to pay full price for online class, it's insanity. And the professors (and admin) will need to accept the reality of huge pay cuts.

Dman890

Yeah this has been brewing for weeks. I hope students across the country refuse to pay full price for online class, it's insanity. And the professors (and admin) will need to accept the reality of huge pay cuts.

I think Ivy League are the only ones that could get away with similar tuition levels for online only.

Froginbedford

TCU faculty is about to go to war with the administration. New article coming out in paper about not wanting in person school this fall. Basically saying they are not going to come to the campus if the Administration orders them to. Want basically the whole admin staff to be removed as well.

The "TCU family" is likely to evaporate in the second half of this year....The tone of the open letter from the faculty senate to the administration could easily dissuade future big donations, exacerbating loss of tuition from parents who don't want to pay current rates for on-line courses....Even with 50 per cent capacity at a football or basketball game, I don't think there would be a celebratory atmosphere, so having no season might allow some emotional healing to occur....The letter sets up the likelihood of demands for some type of monetary reparation on the part of TCU to the tribes which once occupied Tarrant County, and specifically the campus properties....

HFrog1999

Looks like that College Tuition Bubble is about to finally Pop

giphy.gif

tcudoc

So, just curious about your medical opinion, have you shared all of the epidemiological expertise from KFC With your colleagues. There seems to be a wealth of expert medical advice to spread...
I have not had the opportunity to share this information.
The discussion is actually pretty good and I have learned a lot from some posters. It has been a great way to follow the information out there in the public since so many on here stay up with that. I am not on Twitter, so my hearing about some stuff would have likely been delayed by a couple of days in some situations regarding epidemiological info. For that, I have been appreciative. There are a lot of very bright people on both sides of different COVID related arguments and the discussions have helped me see situations from a lot of different perspectives. Then there are some who have no useful information to share but have no problems sharing it in large volumes with misinformation cloaked in actual true information. This simply confuses everyone and should be ignored. The problem is, sometimes it is tough to tell who should be ignored and who should not be. Most are discerning enough to be able to tell.
The tell on who to ignore is if they make it about politics more than ~75% of the time. Just my opinion.

My Boschini comment was tongue in cheek BTW. He clearly was bullied in his previous encounter that I was referencing. I was happy that he called it what it was.

Brog

You're right, but do you think the faculty will willingly accept pay cuts for sitting home and "teaching" all their classes from their computer? Don't think so.

TCUdirtbag

Seeing Harvard go to online classes for all of the '20-'21 school year shows where this thing is headed.

I’m fairly confident Texas public universities will proceed with their modified face to face plans. TCU has been awfully quick in their Covid-related decision makings so far. But if the publics proceed they have cover to do so (but alas, no sovereign immunity).

IMO the higher ed narrative is likely to change in a couple weeks as deaths/serious illness stay low despite high positives in case counts. K12 announcements will also buoy higher education.

Harvard and Princeton and USC can go online and invite only 40% of their students to campus and maintain their payroll and demand. TCU can’t.

I also think you’ll find that the imminent TCU faculty drama is more bark than bite - a loud minority that are digging their own graves.

If you want to talk about why sports may be off, look once again to testing. When the US failed to ramp up testing and production of testing capacity/materials, we created a real supply problem. As testing capacity constricts, it’s going to be hard to have sports if you can’t test and you can’t test athletes if you can get supplies without terrible “killing grandma” PR.

HG73

Not many daddies are going to pay TCU tuition when little Marcie can't get her Mrs degree.

Paul in uhh

Feels like the college bubble will be popping shortly unless a vaccine comes