• The KillerFrogs

OT: Tyler's days are numbered

Froginbedford

Yesterday's discussion about changing high school mascots and school names included Robert E. Lee schools in Midland, San Antonio, and Tyler, and John Tyler High in Tyler....

Today's Startlegram has story about Earl Cambell, Tyler High alum, wanting both high school names in Tyler to be changed....

Since the city of Tyler was named for the former president who was a slaveowner, is the municipality's name up for alteration?

Zubaz

I thought the reason Tyler was controversial wasn't just that he was "a slaveowner", but rather the active role he took for the Confederate cause. In that he actively sided with the Confederacy during the Civil War, voted for secession, was elected to their (fake) congress, died before taking (fake) office, and then was buried under the Confederate rather than US banner?

He did, however, get Texas in to the US, which is why I assume the city is named after him?

HFrog1999

I thought the reason Tyler was controversial wasn't just that he was "a slaveowner", but rather the active role he took for the Confederate cause. In that he actively sided with the Confederacy during the Civil War, voted for secession, was elected to their (fake) congress, died before taking (fake) office, and then was buried under the Confederate rather than US banner?

He did, however, get Texas in to the US, which is why I assume the city is named after him?

47cxgj.jpg

4 Oaks Frog

Yesterday's discussion about changing high school mascots and school names included Robert E. Lee schools in Midland, San Antonio, and Tyler, and John Tyler High in Tyler....

Today's Startlegram has story about Earl Cambell, Tyler High alum, wanting both high school names in Tyler to be changed....

Since the city of Tyler was named for the former president who was a slaveowner, is the municipality's name up for alteration?
Yes. It will now be called [ muschi ]ville...
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fok baylor!!

Brog

Some scholar once said that History is written by the winners. He used histories of the 1920-1950's written by historians from France and Germany as illustration. Tried to picture what the interpretation of certain pivotal events of the 1930's would be had Germany won the war, and how the histories would run. That TV series on what would happen in the US had Germany/Japan won the war, and split the US up into west cost (Japan) and East coast (Germany) illustrates what he was talking about. Also interesting to speculate about what the histories would look like had the South fought the north to a stand-still, and established a separate nation.