• The KillerFrogs

Gundy's contract reduced by $1M and one year following internal investigation

froginmn

So, I brought up the Mandela Effect recently (well, pre-Covid) at a couples game night thing we do with a bunch of my old college roommates and spouses. One approached me later because his husband is from South Africa and lived there during apartheid, and he wanted me to know that he thought it was offensive that I brought it up. I explained what it was (because I assumed he didn’t hear the full discussion earlier) and that it had nothing to do with anything remotely controversial. Didn’t matter...it made him think about apartheid, so it was offensive. Other than saying “I’m sorry” before going to get another beer, I was literally speechless.
Shoulda told him apartheid never happened.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
So, I brought up the Mandela Effect recently (well, pre-Covid) at a couples game night thing we do with a bunch of my old college roommates and spouses. One approached me later because his husband is from South Africa and lived there during apartheid, and he wanted me to know that he thought it was offensive that I brought it up. I explained what it was (because I assumed he didn’t hear the full discussion earlier) and that it had nothing to do with anything remotely controversial. Didn’t matter...it made him think about apartheid, so it was offensive. Other than saying “I’m sorry” before going to get another beer, I was literally speechless.
You can’t win anymore because everything is stupid.

CountryFrog

This is neither a punishment to Gundy nor the University seeking to do anything right. These are two sides who don't much care for one another and have long flirted with the idea of a breakup. This is just the next step in their very dysfunctional relationship that makes it easier for them to part ways in the not too distant future.

Moose Stuff

This is neither a punishment to Gundy nor the University seeking to do anything right. These are two sides who don't much care for one another and have long flirted with the idea of a breakup. This is just the next step in their very dysfunctional relationship that makes it easier for them to part ways in the not too distant future.

Oklahoma St will immediately get worse the minute Gundy is gone.

ftwfrog

Anyone gives a [ Finebaum ] that the OSU head coach has lost 1 million dollars. Are we hearing this? A head football coach who’s above average, lost $ 1million and his family won’t notice the difference.

This is what we are arguing about America!!

PS. They win.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Oh ok so “liberal, first amendment-hating snowflakes on his team“ isn’t a political reference. Got it. I wouldn’t have had a clue what the letters on that tshirt referred or cared if it wasn’t for my BLM friends raising a fuss—and they’re not loony tunes, they’re black.
I don't care if they're green. Ruining a man's life over what t-shirt he wears out on a fishing trip because you don't like the outfit on the shirt is deranged.

Perpetual indignance and continual rage are unhealthy and sure signs of mental instability.

4 Oaks Frog

"Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder met with the media Friday morning, less than 24 hours after he and university President Burns Hargis released statements about OSU’s internal review of football coach Mike Gundy and his program."

"Holder and deputy athletic director Chad Weiberg spent the past couple of weeks reviewing the football program, speaking with current and former OSU players. They concluded that the issue is Gundy’s lack of personal relationships with his players but that there were “no signs or indication of racism.”"

They respect him as an excellent game-day coach, but they want more coaching on a personal level,” Holder said Friday during a Zoom conference. “This crosses all racial lines. Our players want a better connection with Mike Gundy. They view him as a difference-maker and they want him to help them grow as leaders. We conveyed this message to coach Gundy and his reaction has been everything that you would want. He’s been humble, remorseful and committed to change.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_684490e9-f2dc-5ca8-a9ef-d0335f2a7a54.html

"For the 2020 season, Gundy was scheduled to have been paid $5.25 million. In the wake of a controversy that began with his publicly having worn a One America News T-shirt – a gesture that angered some of his players and resulted in negative national focus on the program – Gundy apparently reacted with two self-imposed sanctions: the $1 million reduction in his compensation, along with an adjustment in the structure of his contract."

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...e_8441ccd6-d18c-59f7-8e6c-9ef9ae000eda.html#1
So, they want him to be a life coach, guidance counselor, and Daddy in addition to being the Head Football Coach. For that he deserves a raise rather than a reduction in pay...
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fok baylor!!

Mean Purple

renegotiating a worse contract when an investigation found no wrong doing? what in the world. this is one of the stranger things to happen in 2020.
Wonder if he got fed up and is looking to leave there soon?

(intentionally posted to stir up mass internet buzz. cause, ya know, I have that kind of pull in the world.)

TX_Krötenechse

A three-day news cycle about a t-shirt and 30-year old allegations of possible racial slurs doesn’t make this happen. Most of OSU’s fanbase and administration is probably on his side with both of those things (not the racial slur per se, but the ridiculous nature of an allegation from 30 years before). This is either a prelude to mutual parting of ways or OSU found something else that they didn’t like when investigating and are trying to push him out the door without making it public.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
A three-day news cycle about a t-shirt and 30-year old allegations of possible racial slurs doesn’t make this happen. Most of OSU’s fanbase and administration is probably on his side with both of those things (not the racial slur per se, but the ridiculous nature of an allegation from 30 years before). This is either a prelude to mutual parting of ways or OSU found something else that they didn’t like when investigating and are trying to push him out the door without making it public.

Local sportswriters in Tulsa have been keeping the story alive way beyond the 3-day news cycle:

read://https_www.tulsaworld.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tulsaworld.com%2Fsports%2Fcollege%2Fosu%2Fguerin-emig-thurman-thomas-among-former-cowboys-interested-in-showing-mike-gundy-osu-a-better%2Farticle_41d23447-80b0-538e-8d45-1a30a4cb45cc.html

If you're looking for a "prelude to a parting of ways", look no further than the fact that in addition to the $1M pay cut, Gundy's buyout was reduced:

"Previously, if Gundy were fired without cause, OSU would have been obligated to pay 75% of his contract. Now, Holder says, Gundy has agreed on a reduction to 50%."

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_139ba3e3-bc52-5f9a-9fcb-84d906277ca0.html