• The KillerFrogs

I'm not Wes, and I'm not Scott.

Opintel

Moderators
Birthdays are good...it means you're not dead yet.

Birthday libations are in order. 'Cause we need excuses. Not.

Enjoy the 4th - now go clean your gutters.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
We will be enforcing the rules with both the warning system and vacations

324BEA27-69E8-4D1E-ABF2-9781A1BABE37.gif

InstaFrog

I realize the last several months of lockdown—coupled with the current political and cultural climate—has caused many rational, sane individuals to loose their sense of decency and ability to behave. We tried being understanding of these circumstances and during a lack of any relevant sports-related news allowed COVID related topics to bubble up on the FFF. But, many (ok all) just devolved into ridiculous political shouting matches. In recent weeks, the mods and I have tried to move threads and remove offensive posts as soon as we've seen them or had them reported. However, as we all have jobs and many posts go unreported, we're apparently unable to move quickly enough for some posters.

Over the last few weeks I've received a number of harassing and a few down right threatening messages from individuals upset about a post that wasn't immediately removed or a poster immediately banned. Until today I had never banned a single poster here on KillerFrogs; that was a task both Scott and Wes handled. In fact, over the years I had to talk Scott out of banning posters on several occasions (not just steel), while at the same time arguing with him about certain posters that he seemed to like having around, but were obvious bomb throwers.

During my time here on the board I've only ever played the support role. I made sure the lights stayed on, the coffee was warm, and kept the home fires burning. I didn't need to be reminded of this fact by more than one poster this last week. I understand everyone thinks Wes or Scott would have kicked poster A or B off the board the minute they said X or Y, but to be blunt I don't think any of you really know how difficult those decisions were to them, or just how hard it's been (with the exception of steel) ...

[I had a lot more written here and decided it was best to not include any of it]

Okay, so here is what is going to happen. First, it's my birthday this weekend and since I threatened to start handing out vacations I'm going to give one to myself for the next couple of days. I trust the mods that will check in to handle things as best as they can during that time.

Second, when I get back I'll be reviewing the board rules (which I did not write—counter to what someone claimed last week) and will discuss them with the mods. We will be enforcing the rules with both the warning system and vacations—if required. I'll be sure to explain all of this in a followup thread later so there aren't any misunderstandings as to why a thread got banished, a post wasn't deleted, or a poster is still around after a single infraction.

Finally, and this is only for the few individuals who sent some of those messages these last couple of weeks, please stop comparing me to my friends and telling me daily how much they would hate what I'm doing.

[This thread will be deleted when I get back]
TL;DR condensed form: Steel sucks, don't be like Steel...

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
It would be impossible for TxFrog1999 to be Wes or Scott cause Steel once saw a story — which was verified — where 1999 and Scottie got involved in some sort of drunken bacchanalia and somehow Kelly ended up dead and Wesley just stood by and let it all happen. Or something.

The story will prolly remained consigned to the annals of History...
More like the anals of history.

researchfrog

Good luck, TxFrog1999. I help moderate a forum for certain professionals and it was a beating until we got rid of one of our top (and best) posters. If I might make three suggestions that could make life easier:

1) Publicly ban sock puppets and out the perpetrators, (not doxxing the users, but their main handles). Earl and Coach were the only socks that ever really worked well, i.e. didn't cause trouble.

2) Install a rep or voting system that allows the users to crowdsource moderation. While it can lead to vendettas and groupthink, it is also very efficient at dealing with trolls.

3) Create other subforums. A big problem here, (and at the splitters' site from a few years ago), is that there are not enough topical forums. Anyone wanting to talk anything other than sports has to wade into the political maelstrom of the General forum or the HASMP thread. The latter became extremely cliquish and not conducive to growing the user base and the former is a ludicrous, political void.

The absurdity is that right now we talk sports and politics. If we, for example, had an entertainment forum where we could talk music, movies, and tv, we could get to know each other outside of the narrow context of contentious sports and political opinions. When I look around KFC, (compared to, let's say, Surly), I think of the famous Bilbo Baggins' quote: "“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Look, I'm not saying to copy Surly, but mimicking some of their better features is worth consideration. The biggest part is isolating all political talk in a wasteland forum,which we already have. Then the user base just needs to become accustomed to no longer threadjacking everything into politics or other irrelevancies. Having other topical forums outside the wasteland is the pressure relief valve for the other irrelevancies.

And Tx, hope you have a happy birthday. If I don't see you before Christmas, have a good one.

YA

This board is dying and should probably die. I remember asking Scott to buy it one time. He said $1 million dollars which was laughable. So many good people and posters have left this site. It looks and feels like the board should just die off or be reconfigured to stop political posts and the same posters from ruining every thread.