• The KillerFrogs

FWST: After mounting frustrations, TCU gives faculty option to teach remotely in fall

flyfishingfrog

Faculty don't realize (probably because most of them are ignorant of economics) that forcing schools to continue with remote learning will eventually mean the loss of their jobs. Perhaps not their's specifically, but many faculty are about to be out of a job in a year. Students, and parents, do not want to pay the ridiculous amount of tuition these colleges ask for remote learning. Even at the community college level where I work I have students complaining about paying for remote learning, I can only imagine university students are more upset by the prospect of another semester/year of online classes.

and with the drop in applicants coming in 2025 - it’s going to really hit them if remote because the norm

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Our faculty on average were terrible at online learning at the end of last semester - and without major overhaul, they will be again in the fall

my two grandchildren that attend TCU both complained about it - so i “attended” 4 of their classes with them to see for myself

one Prof didn’t even show up

2 of the others got on, told them what to read on their own, what the assignment was based on the reading and then listed office hours for help - took about 15 mins for each class

the one that tried to teach didn’t have any props and it sounded like a 45 minute diatribe as his voice was tense, he rambled and he never even paused for questions or to be sure anyone was listening

it was a major waste of tuition money for sure

faculty better pray they find a way back on campus

Pharm Frog

Our faculty on average were terrible at online learning at the end of last semester - and without major overhaul, they will be again in the fall

my two grandchildren that attend TCU both complained about it - so i “attended” 4 of their classes with them to see for myself

one Prof didn’t even show up

2 of the others got on, told them what to read on their own, what the assignment was based on the reading and then listed office hours for help - took about 15 mins for each class

the one that tried to teach didn’t have any props and it sounded like a 45 minute diatribe as his voice was tense, he rambled and he never even paused for questions or to be sure anyone was listening

it was a major waste of tuition money for sure

faculty better pray they find a way back on campus

I think we discussed this in the COVID thread. If my Daughter hadn’t graduated in May, we’d be discussing something completely different in the fall. It was embarrassing and anyone contributing to higher education (which is all of us) should say no freaking way.

EDIT: This isn’t just at TCU

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I think we discussed this in the COVID thread. If my Daughter hadn’t graduated in May, we’d be discussing something completely different in the fall. It was embarrassing and anyone contributing to higher education (which is all of us) should say no freaking way.

Nope, not just TCU. FlyFishingFrog's experience was echoed by many of my students last semester.

Pharm Frog

Nope, not just TCU. FlyFishingFrog's experience was echoed by many of my students last semester.

I was thoroughly disgusted by the faculty engagement (lack thereof) during my daughter's last three months of class. If we were holding to the standards in school catalogs, I highly doubt more that about 20% of classes should have been certified for credit.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I was thoroughly disgusted by the faculty engagement (lack thereof) during my daughter's last three months of class. If we were holding to the standards in school catalogs, I highly doubt more that about 20% of classes should have been certified for credit.
At church this morning one of our community leaders told me his kids pretty much already had four months of summer since March. And FWISD is already moving towards online again in the fall? SMDH

Like I said earlier, this will be the downfall of faculty at all institutions. Instead of bitching to the admin because they feel unsafe and "need" to teach online again they should be working with their administration on policies to get everyone back into the classroom. The idiots that keep saying they need to wait until a cure or vaccine is available are just about causing my head to explode. These people have NO idea what they are about to bring upon themselves.

Pharm Frog

At church this morning one of our community leaders told me his kids pretty much already had four months of summer since March. And FWISD is already moving towards online again in the fall? SMDH

Like I said earlier, this will be the downfall of faculty at all institutions. Instead of bitching to the admin because they feel unsafe and "need" to teach online again they should be working with their administration on policies to get everyone back into the classroom. The idiots that keep saying they need to wait until a cure or vaccine is available are just about causing my head to explode. These people have NO idea what they are about to bring upon themselves.

Taking public schools online on the fall is simply a way to further damage the economy by limiting the American workforce, justify increased immigration, and increase dependency on government handouts for all involved. Has nothing at all to do with any virus or contagion. It also has the benefit of continuing the dumbing down of American youth. But hey...their self-esteem may be significantly increased due in large part to low or no accountability for any performance standard other than to pledge allegiance to some socially approved way of thinking (feeling).

Unlike you I think they know exactly what they are bringing on themselves. Why work for a living if your Big Daddy government will re-distribute resources to it’s favored constituencies?

tyler durden

Tyler Durden

Nope not just at TCU. But it does have to be said at TCU it cost $60k a year. What a joke.

LeagueCityFrog

Anyone on here think TCU at $40,000 a year before grants or scholarship is fair for what they get? That's $160,000 for parents to suck down in 48 months.

If I was the Chancellor after Boschini, that's what I would be working towards for sustainability. Chop overhead and the associated faculty compensation expectations and focus on fund raising even more.

New students go to TCU because they like the campus, the City of Fort Worth, and the Big XII big time feel but a smaller feel of a school.

Professors can come and go.