• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Will college football be played this fall? TCU AD remains confident despite virus spike

tcudoc

I’m not an expert on the subject but I think part of the rise in hospitalizations can be attributed to the resumption of previously scheduled operations.. ie, patient comes in for a knee replacement, gets tested for covid while they’re there, tests positive, then gets counted as a hospitalized covid patient.
In our place, the test is done preop for screening for elective surgeries. If positive, they are sent back home, having never entered the hospital, and asked to quarantine and the surgery is rescheduled for much later.
It seems the number of tests being done are greatly increased, but the positivity rate is also slightly increased. Still, many of the positive patients are asymptomatic or mildly sick. Hopefully, the surviving strains of the virus are now less virulent, as some have suggested.
I just read in the mainstream news that a survivor of COVID in Chicago ( I think) had terrible lung damage and just got a lung transplant. Supposedly, it went well.

Eight

the icu at my wife's hospital is roughly half full and at this time they are not curtailing elective procedures

they do test prior to procedures, but don't test prior to admittance. turn around time has been dramatically cut on results

they haven't had mention of rationing supplies, but there is discussion they are considering a reduction in visitors.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
the icu at my wife's hospital is roughly half full and at this time they are not curtailing elective procedures

they do test prior to procedures, but don't test prior to admittance. turn around time has been dramatically cut on results

they haven't had mention of rationing supplies, but there is discussion they are considering a reduction in visitors.
Two weeks ago my dad had a 4cm wide ulcer rupture (amazing story I might tell later) and over these last couple of weeks MCA only allowed one person per 24 hours to visit.

LVH

One again, until we can get to the point that infections (as compared to hospitalizations and deaths) aren't really a big deal we will continue to suffer from self inflicted wounds.

The only stats that matter are hospitalizations and deaths, but the mockingbird media will only focus on the number that looks the worst.

Right now, its cases

Ignore the fact that most of these new cases are younger adults who are mostly asymptomatic and at literally zero risk to die from this virus. No, we need to panic over new cases.

Shame on Greg Abbott yesterday for being unable to discern this. He fueled the fear mongering fire. One could argue that cases among younger adults is a GOOD thing for immunity reasons, but instead, its armageddon.

Greg Abbott is trying to please two masters. He knows most of his support are members of the grassroots right, but his donors are members of the establishment right, who loathe the grassroots right.

LVH

I’m not an expert on the subject but I think part of the rise in hospitalizations can be attributed to the resumption of previously scheduled operations.. ie, patient comes in for a knee replacement, gets tested for covid while they’re there, tests positive, then gets counted as a hospitalized covid patient.

My sister is a nurse in Denver and my aunt is a nurse in Scottsdale and both of them said exactly this

Eight

Two weeks ago my dad had a 4cm wide ulcer rupture (amazing story I might tell later) and over these last couple of weeks MCA only allowed one person per 24 hours to visit.

hope he is doing better, you may want to hold the story just in case football does get delayed, and that is where my wife thinks her hospital is headed.

some ways it is easier for the medical staff to do their jobs, but there is definite value in having family there to calm some patients

LVH

611x403.png.bb859db1eb264ef1a5b2283c6f2e95b6

HFrog1999

I want to hear more about vaccines: seems like the range is from October/November to Never Gonna Happen. If we can routinely screw up Frog Football season record predictions (except for Geezer), we should be outstanding with vaccine availability predictions given that starting range.

At this point, just inject me with the live virus

EasygoingOrdinaryCleanerwrasse-size_restricted.gif

ifrog

I know y’all think Fauci is the devil but he is confident there will be a vaccine by end of the year. The issue is 33% of the population are anti-vaxers.

netty2424

I know y’all think Fauci is the devil but he is confident there will be a vaccine by end of the year. The issue is 33% of the population are anti-vaxers.
That’s a big percentage. Much larger percentage than I assumed it would be. Assuming that percentage is accurate.

ifrog

Gotcha. I don’t really follow the political discussions on this forum. Or anywhere else for that matter. They’re all crooks.

That is a good thing. I agree with you, all politicians are crooks -they only look out for their self interests or their re election opportunities!

lowfrog

One thing I know for sure: It's our stadium and that means everyone has to wear a mask. A purple TCU Horned Frog mask. Any other mask is not acceptable and there is no admission to the stadium for any game without wearing a purple TCU Horned Frog mask. If anyone tries to change into another mask after gaining entry, they get ejected by security.

ifrog

One thing I know for sure: It's our stadium and that means everyone has to wear a mask. A purple TCU Horned Frog mask. Any other mask is not acceptable and there is no admission to the stadium for any game without wearing a purple TCU Horned Frog mask. If anyone tries to change into another mask after gaining entry, they get ejected by security.
will Coach switch from a purple mask to a white mask at halftime if we are losing?

lowfrog

will Coach switch from a purple mask to a white mask at halftime if we are losing?
There won't be any white masks available anywhere in the stadium for him to switch to if we are losing. He'll have to switch shirts as he did at the Alamodome and then we win.