• The KillerFrogs

2020 MLB Thread

Universal DH is long overdue. While I'd rather they hit, universal DH was implemented in the minors years ago and most don't hit in college so by the time a guy reaches the majors he may not have taken a live at bat in 6-7 years. If a SP is lucky he'll get 35 starts a year. At most he'll get 2.25 at bats a start. So you're looking at 80 ABs a year when you haven't hit since high school. That's like putting the last guy on your bench in to hit 3 times a game (2 for the SP and 1 for a PH). So I ask, is it a good thing to have someone get close to 400 ABs hitting .115 with an OPS of .150?

Wexahu

Universal DH is long overdue. While I'd rather they hit, universal DH was implemented in the minors years ago and most don't hit in college so by the time a guy reaches the majors he may not have taken a live at bat in 6-7 years. If a SP is lucky he'll get 35 starts a year. At most he'll get 2.25 at bats a start. So you're looking at 80 ABs a year when you haven't hit since high school. That's like putting the last guy on your bench in to hit 3 times a game (2 for the SP and 1 for a PH). So I ask, is it a good thing to have someone get close to 400 ABs hitting .115 with an OPS of .150?

DH but tie starting DH participation to the starting pitcher. If starting pitcher is pulled DH has to be replaced or replace a fielder to keep bat in game. Would maybe be interesting? Or would maybe be a crazy idea?

I don’t like pitchers batting but I like strategy in NL.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Pretty much every other pitcher in MLB history says "hi".
I singled him out because in '99 he hit .311, and would have been in the top 10 BA players, save that as a pitcher, he didn't get enough ABs to qualify. He was generally a good batter, and was not the hole-in-the-lineup that the pitcher generally is.

LVH

I singled him out because in '99 he hit .311, and would have been in the top 10 BA players, save that as a pitcher, he didn't get enough ABs to qualify. He was generally a good batter, and was not the hole-in-the-lineup that the pitcher generally is.

I have never been a fan of the DH. The reason pitchers don't hit well is because they don't care. I am not saying even if they did care, they would hit .300, but for many pitchers its a throwaway thing.

Eight

I have never been a fan of the DH. The reason pitchers don't hit well is because they don't care. I am not saying even if they did care, they would hit .300, but for many pitchers its a throwaway thing.

lack of practice might have something to do with it.

when verlander hit in game 6 in dodger stadium it was fairly apparent his issues in the batters' box were more than because of his level of concern

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Heh. I can remember Charlie Hough batting for the Marlins. He swung and actually hit a ball, completely by accident, and it skittered down the 1st baseline. He made it to 2nd (barely), and called time just to get his wind back...

FBallFan123

Yes! That was great!

We were watching that game in a little dive in Lamar, Texas: Pop's. Drinking Lone Star Beer, cheering the Cubs...

It was an incredible moment.

And one of the best games from that Cubs World Series run (even tho they lost the game).

The Giants were an extremely tough out, especially in SF ... but the Cubs beating them that series ended the Giants even-year dynasty.