• The KillerFrogs

3 Texas players test positive this week. what happens during the season when this happens.

HFrog1999

When are we going to come to the realization that millions and millions of people have the virus and trying to stop the spread is an exercise in futility?

giphy%2B%25284%2529.gif

LSU Game Attendee

I wonder if some invincible-feeling super fit young players are putting themselves in position to contract the virus in the preseason. They may intend to get it over with so they can focus on the season following quarantine.

The highest profile teams with the most to lose are, so far, experiencing the most severe outbreaks- shocker!

TCUdirtbag

I wonder if some invincible-feeling super fit young players are putting themselves in position to contract the virus in the preseason. They may intend to get it over with so they can focus on the season following quarantine.

The highest profile teams with the most to lose are, so far, experiencing the most severe outbreaks- shocker!

Not sure if it’s a conscious decision or not. These student athletes are back on campus with nothing to do but work out. So yeah, they’re going out and partying. Assuming that getting the virus builds immunity to prevent getting it again, yeah there’s definitely an advantage for teams who spread it now rather than living in a bubble until September.

It’s not just happening at high-profile programs though. It’s happening at all of them—sports media just cover these high-profile programs more. And many are trying to hide behind FERPA. But the leaks will continue.

Also keep in mind that schools are having entire teams tested. So you’re getting a lot of the asymptomatic positives that you don’t get from the general population that’s not getting tested.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Objectively false. Period. It's yet another example why these conversations are pointless because we have posters here who will (constantly and loudly and repeatedly) say things that are just 100% false as if they had any merit whatsoever.
Really? So far as I have read, they really don't have any kind of handle on what constitutes definitive vectors, much less a nicely detailed list of "What Is More Risky?" With none of these things concretely laid out, we're just grasping at the invisible.

What we do know is that this disease is in the vast majority of cases quite mild, especially so in younger people. Thus, the abject panic of these pronunciations "Three Players Test Positive!!!!" is silly. The players, staff, Coaches, people who happened to be standing around: All got tested. It is unsurprising that some tested positive, given that the majority of cases are asymptomatic! The players who tested positive were probably unaware that they were even sick.

A point of curiosity is whether antibody tests were performed. I would wager that there are a lot of persons who have already had the disease without knowing, and have just lived their lives like normal. But, such things are not considered newsworthy, as they do not contribute to panic...

Wexahu

some interesting quotes here

"the real-time complications of testing, tracing and quarantining athletes have been exponentially more complex than many expected"

"Multiple coaches stressed one of the keys to winning this season will be avoiding outbreaks and not having to forfeit games because of an in-season outbreak"

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-there...lurry-of-pessimism-has-arrived-222609082.html

If players with positive tests are going to be required to quarantine for 14 days, they need to just give up on the idea of having a football season. It will be an absolute joke of a season.

One Frog Nation

Really? So far as I have read, they really don't have any kind of handle on what constitutes definitive vectors, much less a nicely detailed list of "What Is More Risky?" With none of these things concretely laid out, we're just grasping at the invisible.

What we do know is that this disease is in the vast majority of cases quite mild, especially so in younger people. Thus, the abject panic of these pronunciations "Three Players Test Positive!!!!" is silly. The players, staff, Coaches, people who happened to be standing around: All got tested. It is unsurprising that some tested positive, given that the majority of cases are asymptomatic! The players who tested positive were probably unaware that they were even sick.

A point of curiosity is whether antibody tests were performed. I would wager that there are a lot of persons who have already had the disease without knowing, and have just lived their lives like normal. But, such things are not considered newsworthy, as they do not contribute to panic...

All true but, to me, the biggest concern is if several players test positive during the season, do they quarantine just those players or all they were in contact with. I agree that most of the young players will only have a mild case but the colleges can't take that risk. I think the forfeiting games or playing games with some of the main players missing a game or 2 is the big risk.

TCU_91

My thoughts exactly.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
All true but, to me, the biggest concern is if several players test positive during the season, do they quarantine just those players or all they were in contact with. I agree that most of the young players will only have a mild case but the colleges can't take that risk. I think the forfeiting games or playing games with some of the main players missing a game or 2 is the big risk.
This is why the antibody test is crucial. It can be determined who has already had the disease and no longer needs to be tested.

There are some researchers who are convinced that some are naturally immune due to factors other than previous exposure. Exposure to a similar bug, or a type of tissue/blood type that the Chinese virus simply doesn't like the flavor of. Herd immunity may be achievable in a team dynamic.

Paul in uhh

some interesting quotes here

"the real-time complications of testing, tracing and quarantining athletes have been exponentially more complex than many expected"

"Multiple coaches stressed one of the keys to winning this season will be avoiding outbreaks and not having to forfeit games because of an in-season outbreak"

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-there...lurry-of-pessimism-has-arrived-222609082.html
Tcu is 11-0 going into the final week. Two days before kickoff of the final game they find out that virtually all the opponent starters the week before had covid, and thus all the tcu starters got exposed and now must quarantine. Tcu loses the final game and misses the playoff.

or worse yet, tcu makes the playoff but they have an outbreak that sidelines half the team the week of the playoff game. None of affected players are symptomatic.