• The KillerFrogs

2021 Hoops Recruiting

RoyaltyWorePurple

Agreed. Fuller needed to improve his ball handling as well. Been working hard on it.
Has he (for lack of a better term) calmed down a bit? Love his speed and quickness, just seemed like he would hurry at points that he didn't have to. Of course, that could be the freshman adjusting to the game too.

Skip Jansen

Has he (for lack of a better term) calmed down a bit? Love his speed and quickness, just seemed like he would hurry at points that he didn't have to. Of course, that could be the freshman adjusting to the game too.

Good observation.

He definitely played too fast last year. Most of that can be attributed to being a freshman and adjusting to the college game (as you said). The nuances of the game are the last things to come.

Most people don't understand just how big of a jump it is from HS to college (particularly the understanding of the game). IMO, you will see a much different player this year. One that understands things like pace, changing speeds, reading and setting up defenders, etc.

Last edited:

Rose Bowl

Skip, what do you think our best iteration is? To me if Easley and Fuller aren’t our best players this year we won’t be as good as we can be. I hope that O’Bannon can stay healthy and contribute along with RJ. I’m hoping Samuel can expand his game but I think he’s very limited on the offensive end. Have to hope the bench can give us quality minutes.

I like this team but I do wonder if we have enough size to defend certain teams. We look to have more versatility which should benefit us on the offensive end. With the schedule being a little more challenging which means we should be ready for the Big 12 grind.

Skip Jansen

Skip, what do you think our best iteration is? To me if Easley and Fuller aren’t our best players this year we won’t be as good as we can be. I hope that O’Bannon can stay healthy and contribute along with RJ. I’m hoping Samuel can expand his game but I think he’s very limited on the offensive end. Have to hope the bench can give us quality minutes.

I like this team but I do wonder if we have enough size to defend certain teams. We look to have more versatility which should benefit us on the offensive end. With the schedule being a little more challenging which means we should be ready for the Big 12 grind.

Rosie-

IMO, it all boils down to PG play. Like I mentioned earlier, in a perfect world, Miles comes in and is ready to go day one. Being realistic, I think that's asking a lot for a true frosh. That puts the ball back in RJ's hands.

In the advanced metrics world, the two stats that don't work together are high 'usage' and low 'efficiency'. That's what R.J. was last year. Can't have another season like that.

Last edited:

Eight

Rosie-

IMO, it all boils down to PG play. Like I mentioned earlier, in a perfect world, Miles comes in and is ready to go day one. Being realistic, I think that's asking a lot for true frosh. That puts the ball back in RJ's hands.

In the advanced metrics world, the two stats that don't work together are high 'usage' and low 'efficiency'. That's what R.J. was last year. Can't have another season like that.

so bello isn't an option for starting at point?

Skip Jansen

so bello isn't an option for starting at point?

He's an option. He's just not what JD sees as his PG. Jamie wants a 'downhill', 'play to contact', 'tough' type player.

That's great except 'tough' is hard to quantify. Maybe some think they know it when they see it.

Eight

He's an option. He's just not what JD sees as his PG. Jamie wants a 'downhill', 'play to contact', 'tough' type player.

That's great except 'tough' is hard to quantify. Maybe some think they know it when they see it.

sounds as if bello going elsewhere in the future would not be a surprise

Dogfrog

Good observation.

He definitely played too fast last year. Most of that can be attributed to being a freshman and adjusting to the college game (as you said). The nuances of the game are the last things to come.

Most people don't understand just how big of a jump it is from HS to college (particularly the understanding of the game). IMO, you will see a much different player this year. One that understands things like pace, changing speeds, reading and setting up defenders, etc.

He found out he couldn’t always just blow by people. He tried too often to force stuff. They used to say let the game come to you. He’s going to be good.

Last edited:

Eight

Maybe. He's gonna play a good bit this year though. Shot 41% from 3 Pt last year.

i am curious how this fits together.

after bello, the best 3 pt shooter returning based upon last year is rj at just over 31% which isn't good.

obviously players can and do get better so there is hope as well as the addition of o'bannon and easley.

if you play bello at the two however, what does the do on the defensive end of the floor. fuller and rj show they can play the point on the offensive end that helps out.

really need the team as whole to make some big strides this year

Skip Jansen

i am curious how this fits together.

after bello, the best 3 pt shooter returning based upon last year is rj at just over 31% which isn't good.

obviously players can and do get better so there is hope as well as the addition of o'bannon and easley.

if you play bello at the two however, what does the do on the defensive end of the floor. fuller and rj show they can play the point on the offensive end that helps out.

really need the team as whole to make some big strides this year

All of those are valid questions. I think the coaching staff is asking themselves the same things. Hopefully those issues get worked out in the pre-season.

Skip Jansen

Think he’d be perfect for the offense when there is another PG on the floor allowing him to spot up and still attack at times.

I agree with you. I think there are several situations where certain players fit better with other players. I personally don't think RJ and PJ pair well together. I don't think that is a good combination to be your primary and secondary ball handlers. But... again, that's what the pre-season is for. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Farmfrog

I’m with Rose in thinking that Easley needs to be our best player. I’m not sold on O’Bannon being a big time guy but I’m hoping he can, at least, stay healthy. Fuller should be better and RJ, Belo, Smith and Ladee can all be better. The freshmen need to be contributors but how much is still unknown.