• The KillerFrogs

No more Gator Chomp

Eight

"While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our "Gator Bait" cheer at UF sporting events, there is horrific racists imagery associated with the phrase.."

who knew those two cajuns i encountered in southern louisiana weren't really talking about whole chickens when they said they set out gator bait to catch one that was in the bayou behind their houses

LVH

pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

Mean Purple

So what are they going to do when the offensive claims start to go both ways?
Or they point to a recent past first lady who disparaged (actually disprespected) the US flag (and troops) and demand that likenesses be removed. Or the disturbing comments from Farrakhan and demand that some profs be fired.

Reality is, they are not gonna be able to stop them from say Gator Bait, because, according to the university's own statement, there has never been any evidence of it being used racially by the fans.

Brog

Seems to me that "Riff Ram Bah Zoo" has echoes of racism in it. It goes on to say "Wah Hoo", and doesn't that make you think of native Americans?

SuperBarrFrog

No clue. I had no idea it was called he gator bait champ until today. If it was just the gator chomp or something they’d prolly be fine.

Just found out from an FSU friend that the gator bait chant is it’s own thing where the fans scream “gator bait” while doing the chomp which also stands alone. Similar to how FSU stopped yelling “scalp em” but still does the chop. Makes more sense to me now.

Mean Purple

there is also the fact that "alligator bait" and "gator bait" can be seen as two different terms.

Trying to claim common sayings and terms as "racist" when they are not in any way breaching that, is insanity.

HToady

So what are they going to do when 20.000 students (and other fans) continue to defy this order? Turn a fire hose on them?

Nobody is going to pay attention to this. It's like saying that our bent fingered hand sign is an intentional afront to handicapped or deformed people...