• The KillerFrogs

Gary Releases His First Song and Music Video

Mean Purple

Gibson I suppose. Not real sure why I even posted that, just had a few too many.
I'll be honest, I was kinda surprised that it was a Martin, as well. I was thinking he might use a Taylor.

I wish I was good enough for it to be worth buying a D18 or a Taylor Grand Pacific dread.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I can't play a lick. Big fat fingers. But, I have always loved the sound a good Martin produces. Only the old Guild dreadnoughts were comparable. I guess it's like the Steinway v. Bosendorfer argument: purely subjective.

TheElephant

I'll be honest, I was kinda surprised that it was a Martin, as well. I was thinking he might use a Taylor.

I wish I was good enough for it to be worth buying a D18 or a Taylor Grand Pacific dread.

Make the investment and you might find yourself playing more and getting better. PM me if you decide, I deal with a lot of vendors and find collector guitars for a living.

Mean Purple

Make the investment and you might find yourself playing more and getting better. PM me if you decide, I deal with a lot of vendors and find collector guitars for a living.
thanks. would be interesting to see whats out there that is "older" stock.

I got to try out the gibson hummingbird (modern collection) with the 24.75 scale length. very nice. then made the mistake of watching Steve Wariner play his about two days later. (things that remind you to practice your scales more)

BrewingFrog

I play the six-string badly. I am reasonably decent on the bass, however, and have indeed invested in the fine products of the Rickenbacker folks. The big fat fingers are not so bad mashing on RotoSounds!

Mrs. Brewingfrog says I might get a 4004L one of these days.

TheElephant

thanks. would be interesting to see whats out there that is "older" stock.

I got to try out the gibson hummingbird (modern collection) with the 24.75 scale length. very nice. then made the mistake of watching Steve Wariner play his about two days later. (things that remind you to practice your scales more)

Be careful on any Gibson between 13 and 19 as QC was way down for a period. They're starting to make some fine guitars again (not that aren't any in that range just need to be more careful when purchasing). Love Hummingbirds though!!

TheElephant

I play the six-string badly. I am reasonably decent on the bass, however, and have indeed invested in the fine products of the Rickenbacker folks. The big fat fingers are not so bad mashing on RotoSounds!

Mrs. Brewingfrog says I might get a 4004L one of these days.

Hey bass players are always needed and Rick's are wonderful instruments!!

Mean Purple

Be careful on any Gibson between 13 and 19 as QC was way down for a period. They're starting to make some fine guitars again (not that aren't any in that range just need to be more careful when purchasing). Love Hummingbirds though!!
Is that when they dealt with the financial problems and had the whole imported wood incident hit at the same time?

Mean Purple

GP on The Ticket this morning getting some love for the song.
Is this the only song he is singing on, or is he releasing more?

One report made it sound like he had written some for some other artists.

I like the song he has out. And, honestly, I wish I lived somewhere where I could leave the keys in the truck. I actually know some folks that do.

feelin crowded.

BrewingFrog

Geddy Lee would be so proud.
Oh, there's Yang (Black, with white trim) that looks suspiciously like Ged's go-to axe for a few years. Then there's Yin (White, with black trim) that looks suspiciously like Chris Squire's rig. Of course, there was no way in hell that I could have laid my hands on an actual CS Model back in the day, now that I could have one I'm just not that hot. I liken it to golf clubs: I slice with the ones I have. What makes me think that buying a new set will somehow make me quit slicing?

The 4004 is a strange beast. Different pickups, fatter sound. Rather than go all Fender, the acquisition of the Laredo would facilitate the proper coverage of a host of tunes where the normal clank and sharpness of the Rick sound does not complement the tune: Basically the Tom Petty oeuvre. Ron Blair sets the foundation with a big, fat Fender/SVT sound and that supports just about all of the tunes familiar to so many. Can the Laredo produce that same rich, fat tone? We shall see...

Oh, there's Yang (Black, with white trim) that looks suspiciously like Ged's go-to axe for a few years. Then there's Yin (White, with black trim) that looks suspiciously like Chris Squire's rig. Of course, there was no way in hell that I could have laid my hands on an actual CS Model back in the day, now that I could have one I'm just not that hot. I liken it to golf clubs: I slice with the ones I have. What makes me think that buying a new set will somehow make me quit slicing?

The 4004 is a strange beast. Different pickups, fatter sound. Rather than go all Fender, the acquisition of the Laredo would facilitate the proper coverage of a host of tunes where the normal clank and sharpness of the Rick sound does not complement the tune: Basically the Tom Petty oeuvre. Ron Blair sets the foundation with a big, fat Fender/SVT sound and that supports just about all of the tunes familiar to so many. Can the Laredo produce that same rich, fat tone? We shall see...
Geddy Lee put out a book about basses last year. I’m sure all of those are in there.

BrewingFrog

He once was asked if he would ever do an instruction book on his unique plucking method. He jokingly replied, "If I did, it'd have to be called 'How Not To Do It.'"

Froggish

I can't play a lick. Big fat fingers. But, I have always loved the sound a good Martin produces. Only the old Guild dreadnoughts were comparable. I guess it's like the Steinway v. Bosendorfer argument: purely subjective.

I own both a Martin D41 and a Guild D40..Love them both but I retired the Martin about 6 years ago because it was getting beat up traveling around and bought the Guild.

The difference is Rosewood/Spruce vs Mahogany/Spruce (Guild). Both are very loud but the slightly darker tone of the Guild has really grown on me. I’ve bought in to the idea of an old Guild having a lot of charm.