• The KillerFrogs

Time for 2 more statues at TCU

Palliative Care

Jim was a fine man, a humble person and a good doctor. He always treated everyone with respect and dignity. He also was one heck of a running back.
Cash + LT + Swink is fine by me.

Froglaw

We were sure ready to give him one at the end of that game. What an amazing performance.

I'd have written a check for two statues (just kidding) after the Alamo Bowl.

If only to commemorate the TCU fans (including two brothers in my group) that left at half-time to drink Margaritas and watch the second half somewhere other than the stadium.

Wog68

I was the manager of the Wog BB team when James was a frosh. What he endured when we played on the road was beyond anything this Hoosier had ever seen or heard. AND, he endured it with remarkable grace. There should be a statue of him, standing alone, in front of old Daniel Meyer.

tcudoc

Dr. Swink was kind enough to sign a few things for me years ago. My understanding is that he absolutely should have won the Heisman his junior year, but giving it to an underclassmen was extremely uncommon, so he lost many votes due to that. The understanding was that everyone just expected that he would win it the next year as a senior. He still had a great year, but not as good as his junior year, so he missed his opportunity due to the inflexibility of many of the Heisman voters.
I wrote a story about Dr. Swink many years ago detailing his accomplishments for our hospital's quarterly publication. Dr. Swink did his residency at the same hospital that I did (much earlier than I did). I never got to meet him in person, but he is one of my all time favorites simply based on his accomplishments and descriptions of his style of play.
There is a nice description of a run he had against UT (the same game associated with the development of the Hook'em Horns hex they tried to put on Swink) by the sports writer where he describes that each UT defender had at least two opportunities to tackle him on a long TD run. At the end of the run, he had one defender so turned around that he was actually running interference for him against the other defenders.
Maybe someone who actually saw the run could describe it better than I have.
tcu-jim-swink-december-26-1955-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

KUkCJlIRvLI_S3Q4Jr5pDOTh8ksCbgxtsSPa7KaX_uFCKXRQ0wU493s7tbzrPRfwzcXNUCuX64p93de1HJWl20jdlrM

Jim Brown of Syracuse tries to defend Swink.

ee92f4b41c19ccceee85a9692c730f41.jpg

JIM_SWINK_41815J__88969.1429384285.1280.1280.JPG

Eight

Swink was also a combat surgeon in Vietnam. Was wounded in a mortar attack, treated himself and returned to his patient. He returned from Vietnam in August 1968 as captain. He was awarded the Purple Heart, a Bronze Star, Air Medal, the Combat Medic Badge, the Army Commendation and the Crown of Gallantry From Vietnam.

nice and all, but what really matters is how many stars when he was recruited out of rusk?

HG73

Swink was also a combat surgeon in Vietnam. Was wounded in a mortar attack, treated himself and returned to his patient. He returned from Vietnam in August 1968 as captain. He was awarded the Purple Heart, a Bronze Star, Air Medal, the Combat Medic Badge, the Army Commendation and the Crown of Gallantry From Vietnam.
Stud.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I'd have written a check for two statues (just kidding) after the Alamo Bowl.

If only to commemorate the TCU fans (including two brothers in my group) that left at half-time to drink Margaritas and watch the second half somewhere other than the stadium.

“...left at halftime?”
So they were the last 2 guys allowed in the bars before mandatory closure, yes?

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Dr. Cash is one hell of a man and deserving of any honor he receives. And he is a really, really nice guy. And was a heck of a teacher too. Would love a statue of him out front!
Dr. Cash was/remains in one of the beautifully shot & framed Large photographs in Sadler lobby. He is a proud legacy in our history and one of the many reasons I became the Committee of One to daily beat the drum & tell/ask anyone TCU related to join me in my quest to keep Sadler lobby JUST THE WAY IT IS WITHOUT ANY CHANGES in the upcoming renovation. If you’re not aware, I invite anyone who has an appreciation of TCU history to come peruse that lobby when campus eventually reopens & enjoy a quiet, dignified little trip down memory lane. Enjoy the professional large framed pictures of some of our famous grads & leaders, the opulent framed artwork, the overstuffed chairs, great seal in the floor and refreshing peace & quiet—a tonic for weary souls. Happily I am now told my efforts have not been in vain & “the plan” is to keep the lobby As Is thru the next renovation.