• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

ticketfrog123

35FoF.jpeg

35FoL.jpeg

should be done by August?

YA

This. Combined with the new hotel across the street from Farrington Field (name escapes me), there are some nicer, newer options closer to campus now.
I wouldn't call Home 2 Suites nice. In fact, after all the uproar about appropriate designed hotels across from the museums, this suburban looking eyesore sticks out like a sore thumb. It is one ugly looking building and surprised the city didn't require more quality work than value engineering crap that has been built.

Wexahu

It is one ugly looking building and surprised the city didn't require more quality work than value engineering crap that has been built.

Honestly, it's about the only way to make anything pencil out these days, and that was in the hotel industry before COVID.

There's going to be a huge amount of hotel and apartment eyesores in 15-20 years. All this stuff that's been built recently is junk in terms of quality of construction. Buildings less than 5 years old are falling apart.

TCUdirtbag

I wouldn't call Home 2 Suites nice. In fact, after all the uproar about appropriate designed hotels across from the museums, this suburban looking eyesore sticks out like a sore thumb. It is one ugly looking building and surprised the city didn't require more quality work than value engineering crap that has been built.

if I recall correctly the city killed a much more appealing opportunity a few years back at the museum crew’s behest. The museum folks that killed that proposal kind of got what they deserved with that trash home2

Dogfrog

if I recall correctly the city killed a much more appealing opportunity a few years back at the museum crew’s behest. The museum folks that killed that proposal kind of got what they deserved with that trash home2

wasn’t that earlier opportunity located at Van Cliburn and Camp Bowie, directly across the street from Kimbell and Modern? Assumed the close proximity weighed into that.

Last edited:

LeagueCityFrog

wasn’t that earlier opportunity located at Van Cliburn and Camp Bowie, directly across the street from Kimball and Modern? Assumed the close proximity weighed into that.

I pretty sure I was told it was going to be a W Hotel Fort Worth across from the museum turn it got killed.

TCUdirtbag

wasn’t that earlier opportunity located at Van Cliburn and Camp Bowie, directly across the street from Kimball and Modern? Assumed the close proximity weighed into that.

I *think* that is a different project that got killed. I think the one you’re referring to would’ve cast some amount of shadow on the kimball lawn and the earlier proposal for the home 2 site was going to obstruct the view of downtown.

Dogfrog

I pretty sure I was told it was going to be a W Hotel Fort Worth across from the museum turn it got killed.

the one I was thinking about was a group out of Nebraska? I think. Not a known brand, sort of a boutique hotel. Since it’s east of University I associate the Home2 more with the 7th Street entertainment district. Would have been good to have something nice in that area though.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Totally, totally agree.
Hyatt Place ain’t that great either. Just one of those free breakfast kinds of places.

Brog

I *think* that is a different project that got killed. I think the one you’re referring to would’ve cast some amount of shadow on the kimball lawn and the earlier proposal for the home 2 site was going to obstruct the view of downtown.

How that earlier proposal that was on Camp Bowie across from the Modern/Kimbell location could have "cast shadow on the Kimball lawn" is beyond me. It's due north of these two museums, and its height wasn't but about five floors. Does the sun get that far north and that low on June 21?

Dogfrog

How that earlier proposal that was on Camp Bowie across from the Modern/Kimbell location could have "cast shadow on the Kimball lawn" is beyond me. It's due north of these two museums, and its height wasn't but about five floors. Does the sun get that far north and that low on June 21?

My guess is the Kimbell is particular about the image and look of their neighbors. Guessing the Modern less snooty with Great Outdoors sub shop across the street.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Oh, the humanity! Oh, the pain! Can't believe someone doesn't like it. The Modern is one of the best architectural accomplishments in Cowtown lately, in my humble opinion.
A buddy of mine thinks it is a wonderful structure. Even went out and bought a coffee-table book of the architect's other buildings, Tadao Ando, if memory serves...

I simply find it a featureless, cubic, thing. I know, I know, "Swans landing on water." Yeah. More like Buicks sliding into 'Park' to me. I never liked the cubist, brutalist architecture of the 50s and 60s. Always looked like they were trying to emulate Soviet architecture. Yuck.

Driving back to visit my Mom, I pass by the Matagorda County Courthouse. Probably the ugliest structure in the entire State. They smashed a perfectly good, gracefully designed old building and installed a ghastly brutalist monstrosity. Utterly hideous.

Brog

A buddy of mine thinks it is a wonderful structure. Even went out and bought a coffee-table book of the architect's other buildings, Tadao Ando, if memory serves...

I simply find it a featureless, cubic, thing. I know, I know, "Swans landing on water." Yeah. More like Buicks sliding into 'Park' to me. I never liked the cubist, brutalist architecture of the 50s and 60s. Always looked like they were trying to emulate Soviet architecture. Yuck.

Driving back to visit my Mom, I pass by the Matagorda County Courthouse. Probably the ugliest structure in the entire State. They smashed a perfectly good, gracefully designed old building and installed a ghastly brutalist monstrosity. Utterly hideous.

You're sure right about the court houses in Texas, and what's happened to them. We enjoy driving through any of the 254 county seats, but have to look so often at the ugly 1930's office buildings they built after tearing down some beautiful old court houses that reflected the life of the mid- to late 1800's in Texas. Makes me think of what they're (we're) doing now, tearing down old historical monuments to reflect our current mind sets.