• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Ron Swanson

Thought the Bruce Lee 30 for 30 was really good. Really enjoyed seeing the old TV interviews with Lee. Could not get into the Lance Armstrong 30 for 30 though.

Been watching a lot of old westerns lately. Rewatched Tombstone again and it is my second favorite western behind Josey Wales. Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell are both great in it. Strong ensemble cast and I dug watching Powers Booth as a bad guy. Worth a rewatch if you have not seen it in a while. However, Joe Kidd was mediocre. The original True Grit with the Duke is strong, too. It was better than the remake, even though I am huge fan of the Dude.
Can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it on here but I’m watching Deadwood right now. I’m getting close to finishing it. You may have already seen it, but if not, definitely worth the watch. In fact, it’s worth the watch even if you have seen it but it’s been a while. Very very good western, IMO.

I’m on the beginning of episode 2 of the Lance documentary and am liking it so far. I did t realize what a prodigy he was. Makes sense, I just didn’t know.

Pharm Frog

AMC movie house chain warns it may have to shut down due to pandemic closures
https://www.tampabay.com/news/busin...y-have-to-shut-down-due-to-pandemic-closures/

Movie theater chain AMC warned Wednesday that it may not survive the coronavirus pandemic, which has shuttered its theaters and led film studios to explore releasing more movies directly to viewers over the internet. All of AMC’s theaters are shut down through June, which means the company isn’t generating any revenue. AMC said it had enough cash to reopen its theaters this summer, as it plans to do. But if it’s not allowed to reopen, it will need more money, which it may not be able to borrow.

The company said that even when local governments allow theaters to reopen, AMC may still have problems if entertainment companies delay releasing new films. “Due to these factors, substantial doubt exists about our ability to continue as a going concern for a reasonable period of time,” AMC wrote in a regulatory filing.

AMC, a publicly traded company controlled by Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda, has 1,000 theaters in the U.S. and Europe. It’s the largest U.S. theater chain.

Cinemark, another major movie chain, plans to begin reopening U.S. movie theaters on June 19. It said in a Wednesday filing that it believes it has enough cash to last it the rest of the year, even if its theaters remain shut.

Full disclosure: Pretty sure the "Wednesday" mentioned in the opening sentence was last Wednesday.

jake102

Yeah Cinemark has maintained a more conservative balance sheet.

That being said - they need to open up theaters at least at 50% capacity.

Eight

Thought the Bruce Lee 30 for 30 was really good. Really enjoyed seeing the old TV interviews with Lee. Could not get into the Lance Armstrong 30 for 30 though.

Been watching a lot of old westerns lately. Rewatched Tombstone again and it is my second favorite western behind Josey Wales. Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell are both great in it. Strong ensemble cast and I dug watching Powers Booth as a bad guy. Worth a rewatch if you have not seen it in a while. However, Joe Kidd was mediocre. The original True Grit with the Duke is strong, too. It was better than the remake, even though I am huge fan of the Dude.

enjoyed the bruce lee doc and i quite frankly don't understand why they did the armstrong video.

there were so many parts of the armstrong doc that were just outright lies and directly contradictory to other docs and testimony i thought it was badly done, badly researched, and sloppy work.

there a few docs out there which go much further into the drug testing cover up as well as look into the story of betsy andreu who really is the person who lance tried to bury and publicly threatened multiple times to destroy she and frankie but wouldn't back down

Last edited:

Eight

Can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it on here but I’m watching Deadwood right now. I’m getting close to finishing it. You may have already seen it, but if not, definitely worth the watch. In fact, it’s worth the watch even if you have seen it but it’s been a while. Very very good western, IMO.

I’m on the beginning of episode 2 of the Lance documentary and am liking it so far. I did t realize what a prodigy he was. Makes sense, I just didn’t know.

when you get done with deadwood let us know as i have a question i want to ask, but will wait until you have finished

Chongo94

when you get done with deadwood let us know as i have a question i want to ask, but will wait until you have finished

I’ve watched it, Eight, although it was when it was aired originally so I may not remember everything well enough to answer correctly...

Chongo94

the question isn't specifically about the deadwood ending, but instead a trend in show endings

Gotcha. Yeah, wasn’t really happy with the way the show ended but I hear the movie attempts to do it justice. Have it dvr’d and will probably get to it this weekend, finally.

Eight

Gotcha. Yeah, wasn’t really happy with the way the show ended but I hear the movie attempts to do it justice. Have it dvr’d and will probably get to it this weekend, finally.

game of thrones is a situation on its own as they ran out of source material and i really have no idea what they were trying to do with the final season.

deadwood, sopranos, man men, breaking bad, the wire, and six feet under all handled how they ended their series differently with various degrees of effectiveness.

Ron Swanson

I actually really enjoyed the GOT final season (with the exception of the very boring and frustrating final episode). I rewatched the entire series as my wife watched it for the first time, and on the 2nd watching the final season was much better than when I watched it originally.

MAcFroggy

I actually really enjoyed the GOT final season (with the exception of the very boring and frustrating final episode). I rewatched the entire series as my wife watched it for the first time, and on the 2nd watching the final season was much better than when I watched it originally.

SPOILERS BELOW

I just could not get over the battle with the night king. They built up that story line for the entire series, and for that battle to end the way it did was super frustrating. I always thought the battle against the night king should have been the at the end of the season and the kings landing stuff should have been first.

Jon Snow constantly talking about how none of the politics mattering, the night king being the real battle, etc proved to not be true at all with the way it all played out. They were able to defeat him in one night with a somewhat small army.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

Agree in all your movie takes. At the start of the COVID madness, I got bored and watched Maverick (with Mel Gibson) for the humor of it. Also to see the mule skinner stunt. Amazing that guy pulled that off

I watched the first part of the Armstrong 30 30. Then missed the 2nd. Never new cycling was so corrupt.

Eight

SPOILERS BELOW

I just could not get over the battle with the night king. They built up that story line for the entire series, and for that battle to end the way it did was super frustrating. I always thought the battle against the night king should have been the at the end of the season and the kings landing stuff should have been first.

Jon Snow constantly talking about how none of the politics mattering, the night king being the real battle, etc proved to not be true at all with the way it all played out. They were able to defeat him in one night with a somewhat small army.

go one step further, the manner in which the night king was killed was a what the scheiss was that moment

no issue with arya being the one to kill him, but the manner it played out seemed a bit flat compared to a number of her other kills

Frogenstein

The dumbest part of that episode was they knew the Night King could raise the dead so they decide to hide the women and children in the crips. Also, sending their best soldiers, the Dorthraki (or however you spell it) out to attack like that at the beginning was very stupid.

Chongo94

The final season was an outright abomination. If the cryptkeeper himself could’ve gotten off his ass and actually written or finished the storyline in the last decade, it might’ve saved that show from the two imbeciles that penned the last two seasons.

Ron Swanson

Just finished Deadwood. You can tell by the way it ended that it wasn’t supposed to be the end of the series, just the end of that season. I don’t know the backstory, but I’m guessing it got canceled or there was some sort of contract disputes that prevented it from continuing.

I’m hoping I have time to watch the movie today so I can get better closure.

Eight

Just finished Deadwood. You can tell by the way it ended that it wasn’t supposed to be the end of the series, just the end of that season. I don’t know the backstory, but I’m guessing it got canceled or there was some sort of contract disputes that prevented it from continuing.

I’m hoping I have time to watch the movie today so I can get better closure.

had a similar thought on how the show ended and i don't think it was left open for the viewers conjecture in the manner of the sopranos

read some things about the challenges of wrapping up a series and do you try to wrap everything up in nice neat bow, leave it for the audience, or just walk away which is how deadwood ended up to me

Ron Swanson

had a similar thought on how the show ended and i don't think it was left open for the viewers conjecture in the manner of the sopranos

read some things about the challenges of wrapping up a series and do you try to wrap everything up in nice neat bow, leave it for the audience, or just walk away which is how deadwood ended up to me
Defending Jacob on the new Apple+TV is a good series that the wife and I just finished. I don’t want to give anything away so I will stop there, but based on your interest in series endings, I suggest watching.