• The KillerFrogs

OT-Any former or current Restaurant/Bar Owners on here

ftwfrog

There was a location in Flagstaff that was like that. It was literally half a block from the popular areas of downtown to walk around. Great building, but no foot traffic and was 4 different restaurants over about 15 years and empty probably 3-4 of those years. But people kept trying, thinking they were the ones that could change it.
What was it? We go to flagstaff every summer. There seem to be a hand ful of places there that fail simply because they suck. They think location can save everything. No, you still have to wash your hands, cook the food, and serve cold beer.

ftwfrog

Location of Death. I just find that odd sometimes, because I have seen a lot of places move into a space and do well, but some spaces are just guaranteed death. Whether it be bad access, parking, weird building, whatever, some locations are just bad through and through.
Reminds me of the place on Westcliff, Gordo’s Hot Tub Time Machine (or whatever the hell it was called), Pops, RJ Gators. Now it’s a vet office.

AroundWorldFrog

What was it? We go to flagstaff every summer. There seem to be a hand ful of places there that fail simply because they suck. They think location can save everything. No, you still have to wash your hands, cook the food, and serve cold beer.
Corner of Birch and Beaver. It was an Indian Place last time I was there. It's just a block too far west of downtown. Might be better now that they built the hotel right down by there.

Spike

Terrible location. Every time I drove by I’d think “yeah, I’m never going there.”

Liked the RJ Gators, but probably just too far from campus to be effective. Face and i went a few rimes after Friday baseball games. There's a place near me, like White settlement road behind Rivercrest. Always thought it was neat but several places failed and now I think it's a dentist office.

froginmn

Never figured FrogPrince for a restaurateur. Seemed more like a swap meats guy.
giphy.gif

Bizarro Frog

If it’s possible try and own the property or building you open in. Some of these restaurants that are successful are paying ten’s of thousands a month in rent after they get established. Some of them could build a $4 million dollar building for what they are paying in rent.

Bob Sugar

Location of Death. I just find that odd sometimes, because I have seen a lot of places move into a space and do well, but some spaces are just guaranteed death. Whether it be bad access, parking, weird building, whatever, some locations are just bad through and through.

One of the corners in Montgomery plaza is that way. Pei Wei? Successful. Next to it, Glorias? Successful. Next to it, Sushi Axiom? Successful. Next to it, the Location of Death.

9 failed concepts there in 11 years:

Bourbon Street Oyster Bar and Grill
Barrel & Bones Craft Bar and Smokehouse
Mac’s Steak & Seafood
Deluxe Bar & Grill
Monty’s Corner
Bite City Grill
King Crab Tap House
M Bistro
Honey Smoke Pit

Dogfrog

One of the corners in Montgomery plaza is that way. Pei Wei? Successful. Next to it, Glorias? Successful. Next to it, Sushi Axiom? Successful. Next to it, the Location of Death.

9 failed concepts there in 11 years:

Bourbon Street Oyster Bar and Grill
Barrel & Bones Craft Bar and Smokehouse
Mac’s Steak & Seafood
Deluxe Bar & Grill
Monty’s Corner
Bite City Grill
King Crab Tap House
M Bistro
Honey Smoke Pit

Yea, that north side of Montgomery Plaza is tough. The TCU / UT gear store didn’t make it either. Always thought the concept was a little awkward but decent store.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yea, that north side of Montgomery Plaza is tough. The TCU / UT gear store didn’t make it either. Always thought the concept was a little awkward but decent store.
We got a lot of nice stuff there when it was open. Seems like it was a seasonal place more than anything, and those few good months have to tide you over for the rest of the year.

CryptoMiner

Liked the RJ Gators, but probably just too far from campus to be effective. Face and i went a few rimes after Friday baseball games. There's a place near me, like White settlement road behind Rivercrest. Always thought it was neat but several places failed and now I think it's a dentist office.

Another block or so farther is Charley's and they are usually very busy and with a TCU centric crowd.

FrogCoach84

If it’s possible try and own the property or building you open in. Some of these restaurants that are successful are paying ten’s of thousands a month in rent after they get established. Some of them could build a $4 million dollar building for what they are paying in rent.

Some of the most successful restauranteurs I've worked with only go the ownership route. Once they've paid it down enough they sign a new 10 year Lease with their restaurant entity and sell the buildings on a cap rate.

Had one client that sold 4 of his buildings on a 6.75% cap in a portfolio sale and it closed about two weeks before the Covid hit the fan. Timing is everything.

Who knows what the future of the restaurant industry looks like after the dust settles though? We pulled three off the market in April.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Some of the most successful restauranteurs I've worked with only go the ownership route. Once they've paid it down enough they sign a new 10 year Lease with their restaurant entity and sell the buildings on a cap rate.

Had one client that sold 4 of his buildings on a 6.75% cap in a portfolio sale and it closed about two weeks before the Covid hit the fan. Timing is everything.

Who knows what the future of the restaurant industry looks like after the dust settles though? We pulled three off the market in April.
giphy.gif