• The KillerFrogs

Happy D-Day All Y'all

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I’m sure they don’t know that he chose the Battle Hymn of The Republic to be played at his funeral. Yankee maybe, but hardly aligned with racism...

BABYFACE

Well, he was pretty stone racist.

“I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion.”

https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/01/28/winston-churchill-the-imperial-monster/#gsc.tab=0
We have to observe things in context in their historical time. We are not condoning the wrongs but remembering the things done right that helped shape a country and the world.

History is just that, history. It cannot be viewed on someone’s personal terms. History celebrates triumphs but also shows the wrongs and the mistakes made.

CountryFrog

We have to observe things in context in their historical time. We are not condoning the wrongs but remembering the things done right that helped shape a country and the world.

History is just that, history. It cannot be viewed on someone’s personal terms. History celebrates triumphs but also shows the wrongs and the mistakes made.
Bravo!

AroundWorldFrog

Yea, that's what I meant to say.

PhillyFrog

Hard agree.

PhillyFrog

Sidebar: One of my uncles on my Dad's side was in a later echelon that hit the beach later in the day. He was a tank commander. Later died somewhere around Houffalize on the back end of the Bulge, and was buried somewhere around Nashville.

One of my sisters made off with his Purple Heart and one of these days I'm going to burgle her house.

PhillyFrog

Since we're talking about Winnie, I thought this second-hand blurb from Maureen Dowd was relevant. I admire a nice turn of phrase, without regard to political argle-bargle:

(When Kayleigh McEnany had the temerity to compare Trump to Churchill, one lawyer I know dryly noted: “We shall fight them on the golf courses; we shall fight them on Twitter; we shall fight them at Mar-a-Lago.”)

Salfrog

Tier 1
Humans and human thinking, and all beings for that matter, evolve. You can't judge a person by comments made 70-80 years ago by today's standards.

This generation wants to completely erase history and all of it's monuments instead of looking at history as a tool to remember the wrongs of our passed and learn from them.

This is way I don't believe in tearing down monuments. We need those to always remember where we came from, to do better as a society, be better human beings, and to never make those mistakes again. If you keep erasing history, you are bound to make those same mistakes again. As the saying goes, "History has a way of repeating itself. "

I'm sure somehow, though, this a racist view.