• The KillerFrogs

Looks like the Texas Rangers baseball team will need to get a new name. What would you rename to?

TCUdirtbag

After taking time to read the article, my understanding is that the primary concern was with the particular Ranger depicted (a leader in the agency’s role in blocking integration) and not the representation of the agency itself.

And after reading the article I see arguments for both sides of this. As a representation of the law enforcement agency and general state history, it’s mostly fine. In the specific but widely unknown context of the individual depicted’s role in trying to stop integration, it’s not a good look. And if that context is brought to light in a way that outshines the former, I understand the current decision. In the end, I think the decision can be rightfully left to Dallas leaders.

LSU Game Attendee

In the end, I think the decision can be rightfully left to Dallas leaders.
EHXKJT6GSQRCN3IIZVU72TZEVM.jpg

Brog

And anybody want to sign the petition to change the name of our nation's capital? Washington? Gasp. He owned slaves, didn[t he? Stephen Austin owned slaves from time to time, so we need a new name there. Thank goodness General Worth died before the civil war, so maybe Fort Worth is secure.

TCUdirtbag

And anybody want to sign the petition to change the name of our nation's capital? Washington? Gasp. He owned slaves, didn[t he? Stephen Austin owned slaves from time to time, so we need a new name there. Thank goodness General Worth died before the civil war, so maybe Fort Worth is secure.

FWIW, many reasonable people would argue there’s a big difference in: (1) the generational leaders who (we would all now agree wrongly) owned slaves in the context of their times, and (2) those who either actively led movements against the United States (e.g., the George Washington or SFA vs. Robert E. Lee Or Jefferson Davis argument) or more recently led efforts contrary to society and the federal government’s (rightful) demand to expand civil rights in the context of desegregation, etc.

Palliative Care

Just another reason why Arlington is the home of the baseball team.

But let me say this and it has been said before, judging individual of a different time and era by today's standards will always find a harsh review. People who complain about the need for justice and change could also use this as a benchmark of how things do change for the better and learn and teach those facts. Hiding them loses all perspective and obscures their significance.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I know you are joking but Swanson was born in Florida and went to HS at Dallas Woodrow Wilson, Wrote for the DMN but then received a teaching position in Pittsburg after cutbacks at the paper.
It’s what I want the team to be named. Built in following. Lots of history to grab on to. Seems simple. And Texas Yankees just has a nice ring to it.

CryptoMiner

But didn't Maj Ripley found Camp Worth to expand the removal of indigenous people from their native lands....(just saying...)

Brog

FWIW, many reasonable people would argue there’s a big difference in: (1) the generational leaders who (we would all now agree wrongly) owned slaves in the context of their times, and (2) those who either actively led movements against the United States (e.g., the George Washington or SFA vs. Robert E. Lee Or Jefferson Davis argument) or more recently led efforts contrary to society and the federal government’s (rightful) demand to expand civil rights in the context of desegregation, etc.

Man, this is great kind of reasoning. I can use it to excuse any action from people I like, and can still condemn that action in people I don't like. A very useful thought process. Thank you.

Frogenstein

There is a movement to change the name of Austin.

Frogenstein

If the local MLB team capitulates to the idea of a name change then they should just go a head and change both names as Texas (like everywhere) also doesn’t have a perfect history. How about just using: Existential Beings? Pretty hard to get offended by that, though I am sure it can be done, and any truly affected class can’t speak up.