• The KillerFrogs

OKST LB tests positive

Sooo see if Steel has this right.

local/state executive orders still prohibit public gatherings unless they meet certain guidelines. And you want a permit to peacefully demonstrate for hundreds of people without following such guidelines? Sure where do I sign!
Steel might have a point here. Perhaps we declare all football games this season "protests" and get a permit for everyone to show up?

Eight

Steel might have a point here. Perhaps we declare all football games this season "protests" and get a permit for everyone to show up?

maybe so, or maybe if we don't have streets littered with dead bodies resulting from covid in a month i am pretty sure there is no reason to remove the restrictions

InstaFrog

meanwhile ...

uh, yeah, ... those "studies" used some seriously questionable data.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tion-hydroxychloroquine?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1
Surgisphere, whose employees appear to include a sci-fi writer and adult content model, provided database behind Lancet and New England Journal of Medicine hydroxychloroquine studies

Two of the world’s leading medical journals – the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine – published studies based on Surgisphere data. The studies were co-authored by the firm’s chief executive, Sapan Desai.

Late on Tuesday, after being approached by the Guardian, the Lancet released an “expression of concern” about its published study. The New England Journal of Medicine has also issued a similar notice.

An independent audit of the provenance and validity of the data has now been commissioned by the authors not affiliated with Surgisphere because of “concerns that have been raised about the reliability of the database”.

What about this?

https://abc7.com/amp/trump-taking-h...s-covid-19/6229658/?__twitter_impression=true

It’s starting to feel like access to more information is getting us nowhere.

Pharm Frog

i might be slow on the upswing so please forgive, but you do realize that very study that was referenced is one of the studies that has been questioned because of the role of surgisphere?

I'm fairly certain that the NEJM study in question was not the claims-study you're referencing. That said, from the very little that is written about it in the article, my takeaway would have been that ONLY 12% (HQ) and 14% (PL) of participants (those living with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 or at high risk of getting it because of their job) contracted COVID-19. And generally these were "younger relatively healthy people". I'll need to read the study itself because as usual the reporting of the article in the lay press is really screwy. For example, is there a difference between "symptoms" and contracting the virus (since we know a percentage of patients are asymptomatic)? Is 5 days enough if taken within four days of exposure or would the results differ if you took it fully prior to exposure or for longer duration? Symptom severity? All sorts of things aren't answered in the mainstream reporting.

Eight

I'm fairly certain that the NEJM study in question was not the claims-study you're referencing. That said, from the very little that is written about it in the article, my takeaway would have been that ONLY 12% (HQ) and 14% (PL) of participants (those living with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 or at high risk of getting it because of their job) contracted COVID-19. And generally these were "younger relatively healthy people". I'll need to read the study itself because as usual the reporting of the article in the lay press is really screwy. For example, is there a difference between "symptoms" and contracting the virus (since we know a percentage of patients are asymptomatic)? Is 5 days enough if taken within four days of exposure or would the results differ if you took it fully prior to exposure or for longer duration? Symptom severity? All sorts of things aren't answered in the mainstream reporting.

thanks for the correction and i read through a bit of that study as well as found an interesting online article about the study

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/M...t-COVID-19-in-a-rigorous-study-570993021.html

a few things of interest from the story:

"There are some big caveats: The study enrolled people through the Internet and social media, relying on them to report their own symptoms rather than having them tracked in a formal way by doctors. Participants were not all tested for the coronavirus but were diagnosed as COVID-19 cases based on symptoms in many cases. And not all took their medicines as directed."

"The results “are more provocative than definitive,” and the drug may yet have prevention benefits if tried sooner or in a different way, Dr. Myron Cohen of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill wrote in a commentary in the journal.

Others were glad to see a study that had a comparison group and good scientific methods after so many weaker reports on hydroxychloroquine."

having never worked in your industry i wanted to confirm if it is the norm to have patients self diagnose and not actually be tested for their ailment?

Pharm Frog

thanks for the correction and i read through a bit of that study as well as found an interesting online article about the study

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/M...t-COVID-19-in-a-rigorous-study-570993021.html

a few things of interest from the story:

"There are some big caveats: The study enrolled people through the Internet and social media, relying on them to report their own symptoms rather than having them tracked in a formal way by doctors. Participants were not all tested for the coronavirus but were diagnosed as COVID-19 cases based on symptoms in many cases. And not all took their medicines as directed."

"The results “are more provocative than definitive,” and the drug may yet have prevention benefits if tried sooner or in a different way, Dr. Myron Cohen of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill wrote in a commentary in the journal.

Others were glad to see a study that had a comparison group and good scientific methods after so many weaker reports on hydroxychloroquine."

having never worked in your industry i wanted to confirm if it is the norm to have patients self diagnose and not actually be tested for their ailment?

Are you [ Finebaum ]ting me?

EDIT: Not uncommon to have patients in studies log their symptoms but trying to recall ever seeing a non-mental health study without clinical diagnosis. Enrollment via social media makes my skin crawl...may take Lyrica.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Pharm,
Any feedback from your fellow med types on that TM article about the 2 Houston docs with the SARS vaccine on ice?
SF

Eight

Are you [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]ting me?

EDIT: Not uncommon to have patients in studies log their symptoms but trying to recall ever seeing a non-mental health study without clinical diagnosis. Enrollment via social media makes my skin crawl...may take Lyrica.

i will take that as a no

Pharm Frog

Pharm,
Any feedback from your fellow med types on that TM article about the 2 Houston docs with the SARS vaccine on ice?
SF

Nothing more than they are known and that there are likely several more situations like this. It’s not all about research and development. It’s also very much about commercialization. I really didn’t expect to get much more from my contacts. I’m in the Endocrinology division and it’s been quite a while since I’ve played with our vaccine division. We have some therapeutic firewalls set up so that people can’t go rogue on product promotion. Stick to the label marketing.

However, on the 12th I’m attending a call with Joslin Diabetes and some high power ID folks and I plan on asking a few questions about latent research opportunities.