• The KillerFrogs

2020 MLB Thread

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
source.gif

ShreveFrog

I don't see the owners agreeing to a 114 games in a money-losing season. And so the World Series could be in December? Oy.

I hope they get a deal done this week to save an 80-game season. We need it.

Pharm Frog

I don't see the owners agreeing to a 114 games in a money-losing season. And so the World Series could be in December? Oy.

I hope they get a deal done this week to save an 80-game season. We need it.

Nope. It’s unfortunate but the longer we go without it the less we need it. I say shut it down and amplify the blame game owners v players and maybe we’ll see you in 2021.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I can't think of a worse scenario for baseball. Can't say I understand your thinking at all.
I think he's saying "A pox on both your Houses!" Neither party has covered themselves in glory, and neither is concerned with anything other than money. The love of the game has been kicked to the curb.

I believe there are plenty of players who would get out there tomorrow if they could, but the Union has taken a position that makes that highly unlikely and the Owners don't care, preferring to just wait it out if need be.

I miss baseball.

Moose Stuff

I think he's saying "A pox on both your Houses!" Neither party has covered themselves in glory, and neither is concerned with anything other than money. The love of the game has been kicked to the curb.

I believe there are plenty of players who would get out there tomorrow if they could, but the Union has taken a position that makes that highly unlikely and the Owners don't care, preferring to just wait it out if need be.

I miss baseball.

Sure, but your last sentence trumps everything you wrote prior, which is why I don't understand his comments. If you miss baseball, why would you want no baseball? And if you think it's bad now, I can assure that no baseball would make it exponentially worse moving forward.

BrewingFrog

Sure, but your last sentence trumps everything you wrote prior, which is why I don't understand his comments. If you miss baseball, why would you want no baseball? And if you think it's bad now, I can assure that no baseball would make it exponentially worse moving forward.
Firstly, I am not Pharm, who is smarter and better spoken. Secondly, the fact that I lament the stances taken by the respective "leadership" groups in strangling whatever hopes we all had for a 2020 Season in no way means I want "no baseball." I sincerely want these two groups to say, "Screw it! Let's play ball!" But I also know that playing ball is so far down their lists of Important Stuff that it gets lost in the footnotes, hence the distinct possibility of no baseball. Thirdly, yes, you are indeed correct: Cancelling the 2020 Season would be catastrophic, and I really don't know just how badly it will hurt and/or destroy all the businesses that literally depend on Baseball. Taking away the Season will leave monstrous holes where caterers, vendors, merchandisers, etc. once were. All of the logistical support necessary to the sport is already teetering. Season cancellation would be a manful shove into the abyss. And none of that would be just rustled up in a jiffy next March, either.

jake102

I'm rooting for it to get cancelled at this point. MLB has been mismanaged for years and I'd love to see everyone freakout and lose each other millions/billions of dollars.

It's astonishing to me that these guys aren't so anxious to play that they aren't pushing things forward. Kind of makes you wonder how much they really like playing the sport.

NBA isn't much better, they should have been playing starting today.

Pharm Frog

I miss baseball.

Thanks for being interpreter while I was busy doing stuff to help people live happier, healthier lives. You're pretty close. I would not say that I miss MLB much. I do miss baseball though. Moose's response was also very accurate because he used the phrase "worse scenario for baseball". I noted that he did not say "major league" baseball and I think he's mostly right. It isn't good for any level of baseball when MLB can't get its [ Finebaum ] together. Although, my father contends that one of the best things that ever happened to minor league baseball was the MLB strikes. He may be right. Don't really know. I stated in a thread that has been sent to KFC purgatory that I believe we need maximum pain for some people to get their priorities and values aligned. And I literally (not figuratively) hate that there's collateral damage from stuff like this but if the players don't want to play and the owners don't want to pay....then screw it. I'll read a good book which is what I mostly do anyway until the late innings of a MLB game or just catch the 35 second highlights.

BrewingFrog

Thanks for being interpreter while I was busy doing stuff to help people live happier, healthier lives. You're pretty close. I would not say that I miss MLB much. I do miss baseball though. Moose's response was also very accurate because he used the phrase "worse scenario for baseball". I noted that he did not say "major league" baseball and I think he's mostly right. It isn't good for any level of baseball when MLB can't get its [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] together. Although, my father contends that one of the best things that ever happened to minor league baseball was the MLB strikes. He may be right. Don't really know. I stated in a thread that has been sent to KFC purgatory that I believe we need maximum pain for some people to get their priorities and values aligned. And I literally (not figuratively) hate that there's collateral damage from stuff like this but if the players don't want to play and the owners don't want to pay....then screw it. I'll read a good book which is what I mostly do anyway until the late innings of a MLB game or just catch the 35 second highlights.
Mrs. Brewingfrog and I were looking forward to taking in a few C.C. Hooks games this season, but that's evidently in the crapper now...

Moose Stuff

I'm rooting for it to get cancelled at this point. MLB has been mismanaged for years and I'd love to see everyone freakout and lose each other millions/billions of dollars.

It's astonishing to me that these guys aren't so anxious to play that they aren't pushing things forward. Kind of makes you wonder how much they really like playing the sport.

NBA isn't much better, they should have been playing starting today.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I don't get this AT ALL unless you just aren't a baseball fan.

Eight

watching this unfold it reminds me of a pattern we have seen all too often where both sides really aren't aware about what could potentially happen

they are so insulated in their worlds that they just aren't aware of the world outside of them and more importantly the potential consequences to them.

jake102

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I don't get this AT ALL unless you just aren't a baseball fan.

MLB baseball ranks #4 for me on the pecking order. College Football by a mile, NFL by a mile at #2, college baseball, MLB, NBA, college basketball all clumped together in that order

It seems like they've messed around enough where even if they do start playing, it will begin pretty close to college football and NFL gearing up. I don't need MLB's distraction like I do April through August. And I think MLB has been mismanaged from a marketing perspective (not that I have many ideas). Telling that there's one(?) player on the top 100 paid athletes despite the huge contracts.

Pharm Frog

MLB baseball ranks #4 for me on the pecking order. College Football by a mile, NFL by a mile at #2, college baseball, MLB, NBA, college basketball all clumped together in that order

It seems like they've messed around enough where even if they do start playing, it will begin pretty close to college football and NFL gearing up. I don't need MLB's distraction like I do April through August. And I think MLB has been mismanaged from a marketing perspective (not that I have many ideas). Telling that there's one(?) player on the top 100 paid athletes despite the huge contracts.

1. College baseball
2. College football
3. High school football
4. College basketball (has made a huge comeback for me)
5. MLB, NFL come in about here because of very focused interests (eg: anti-Cowboy sentiment)

Note: I could easily see UFC and golf climbing and maybe even NASCAR but I tried that awhile when I lived in Tennessee and just wasn't "as much of a fan" as seemingly everyone around me. I would 100% prefer to head over to Cleburne and see a Railroader game or make the 30m drive to Stephenville to see a D2 ballgame than make the drive into Arlington and pay that kind of money and spend that much time to see a Rangers game.