• The KillerFrogs

First Five Star

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Schade was a tough player. I remember at BU he got his left shoulder separated and came back in..........only to have his right shoulder separated the next series. That was Wacker's last year and we played five QBs that year and still went 7-5.
Was that the year of the of the greatest Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl ever played? And by best I mean miserable cold and wet worst.

West Coast Johnny

So Evans got booted from his HS team the night before the state championship because he wouldn't give up his cell phone for the day? And Georgia releases him from his commit because of it? Seems so stupid that it can't be the whole story.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Was that the year of the of the greatest Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl ever played? And by best I mean miserable cold and wet worst.
Nope. The Weedeater Bowl was Pat Sullivan's second or third year. The last Wacker Team won a share of the SWC title but did not receive a Bowl bid. There weren't the plethora of Bowl games then...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I drank a lot back then.
Ditto.

The Weedeater Bowl was fun for us, as we took a full bar with us on one of the TCU buses out to Shreveport, including a battery-powered blender. I was truly proud later on that evening when waiting in a long line for hot coffee, when a fellow in front of me was saying to a friend, "That was nothing. The guys on our bus brought a blender!"

In the stands, a female friend was snarfling down a Jello shot when the woman in front of her turned around and asked, "Are you going to throw up?"

She answered, "Lady, you'll be the second to know."

Showtime Joe 2.0

I think you are thinking of RB Tyson Thompson out of Irving ...I believe he was a 5-star/Parade All-American never enrolled in school after getting caught stealing weights from the high school wound up at San Jose State
Schade was a tough player. I remember at BU he got his left shoulder separated and came back in..........only to have his right shoulder separated the next series. That was Wacker's last year and we played five QBs that year and still went 7-5.
7-4 to be exact. And without a bowl bid, as Brewing Frog noted.

Ron Swanson

At first I was highly skeptical of this kid based on the little I had heard about him (suspended in season and then the whole cell phone deal before the state championship game).

But the more I read, it sounds like he’s not a bad kid as much as he’s just immature. I’ve read multiple articles and posts from people who have interviewed him and they say he is an engaging/charming kid. And I watched the high school all star game interview with him and Deion Sanders and he apologized for his selfish behavior and seemed genuinely contrite.

Also, I read an article about his enrolling at TCU in the Houston Chronicle and at the end it quoted his HS head coach as saying that Evans is a “great kid” and said the whole Northshore community will be rooting for his success at the next level. So it sounds like despite their differences, the coach doesn’t think he’s a piece of ship. I realize that could just be coach speak platitudes, but at least it’s something.

And I like that the kid says he just wants to put his head down and play three years and go to the NFL. It sounds like he’s had a bit of a humbling smack-in-the-head / life realization moment that a kid like him probably needed and now he realizes what he needs to do to succeed in life.

I’m by no means saying that there’s nothing to worry about and he’s definitely gonna come in and succeed, but I feel a lot more excited about him than I did when the news first broke.

4th. down

At first I was highly skeptical of this kid based on the little I had heard about him (suspended in season and then the whole cell phone deal before the state championship game).

But the more I read, it sounds like he’s not a bad kid as much as he’s just immature. I’ve read multiple articles and posts from people who have interviewed him and they say he is an engaging/charming kid. And I watched the high school all star game interview with him and Deion Sanders and he apologized for his selfish behavior and seemed genuinely contrite.

Also, I read an article about his enrolling at TCU in the Houston Chronicle and at the end it quoted his HS head coach as saying that Evans is a “great kid” and said the whole Northshore community will be rooting for his success at the next level. So it sounds like despite their differences, the coach doesn’t think he’s a piece of ship. I realize that could just be coach speak platitudes, but at least it’s something.

And I like that the kid says he just wants to put his head down and play three years and go to the NFL. It sounds like he’s had a bit of a humbling smack-in-the-head / life realization moment that a kid like him probably needed and now he realizes what he needs to do to succeed in life.

I’m by no means saying that there’s nothing to worry about and he’s definitely gonna come in and succeed, but I feel a lot more excited about him than I did when the news first broke.

If he beats out Barlow and D. Foster, he's as advertised, but would not say it's a sure thing. I would look for more running plays by the RB's and Max and what I've read on Kill, that kinda moves the needle to that format and GP would like it for his defense to get a rest and hopefully we end the clap, clap, clap, scenario.

froginmn

I'll start by saying I'm not sold on chasing starsies. And before the pro stars guys throw a fit, I know that the last 400 national champions have had top 5 classes, and that all of the playoff teams did too. But I also know that GMFP has built a nice little franchise (and should have been in the playoffs and maybe would have won in 2014) by recruiting underrated and overlooked guys. I think that top recruits very often bring different types of baggage - from entitled attitudes to helicopter parents, and sometimes think they're above the rules, or have bad family situations that carry into their careers, etc. We've seen it with Shaun Robinson and other high stars guys who didn't contribute for various reasons.

With all that said, I'm also excited about this guy. I think his troubles haven't been the kind (drugs and woman beating) that are a ticking time bomb. You do have to question his decision making and thought process but it might very well be the case that as he matures and if he gets a strong support system around him, he'll be highly successful.

And in terms of physical tools he's fantastically gifted. Hoping things go in the right direction because I think there's a real comparison to AP here.

Latest posts