• The KillerFrogs

Projecting The 2020 TCU Football Depth Chart

Froggish

Quick thoughts...looks like we have four tackles that can play. Myers, TJ, Coleman and Coker. That makes me feel better.

I has hoping G Hayes would end up at tackle...and maybe the loser of the starting center battle might end up at guard. I could see White moving inside also at guard because that looks like a weak spot now.

Can't really afford any injuries at safety...only really have four that have played any although we have some younger guys that have potential.

Sure wish we could have redshirted Hunt and Stephens two years ago...both need that extra year to develop. I know I'm always trying to move people around but I wish we would RS Stephens this year, put 20 lbs on him and make him a DE. Dude is a beast but will probably be passed quickly by the freshman WRs...

Agree on Hunt and Stephens. That RS year would have been enormous. They are both way to raw.

I actually think Safety is one of the deeper groups on the team. Nook, VanZant, Vongor, Josh Foster to go with TWZ and Washington. I really think Vongor and Nook are going to be hard to keep off the field.

Eight

Agree on Hunt and Stephens. That RS year would have been enormous. They are both way to raw.

I actually think Safety is one of the deeper groups on the team. Nook, VanZant, Vongor, Josh Foster to go with TWZ and Washington. I really think Vongor and Nook are going to be hard to keep off the field.

agree there is young talent at safety. foster is going to surprise some people and don't sleep on bud clark

also hope with two years after the injury vonger starts to see some reps

LeagueCityFrog

I wonder if Oklahoma State is going to be THE game this year for the Frogs. Seasoned quarterback, excellent running back, excellent coach. Thankfully the game is at the Carter.

Both Iowa State's backup QB and OU's starting QB is on seasons 2 and 3 of Netlfix's QB1 for those wanting to see what we have coming to the Carter in 2020.

LeagueCityFrog

I wonder if fellow Galena Park North Shore Cornerback Kee'yon Stewart had anything to do with landing his fellow North Shore teammate Zach Evans? Does Gary red shirt Zach Evans so there is a year between Barlow, and D. Foster and Zach? If they don't, are we a run first offense with Max now? Is the O Line good enough to be run first? Would Coach Meacham allow us to be a run first?

Eight

I wonder if fellow Galena Park North Shore Cornerback Kee'yon Stewart had anything to do with landing his fellow North Shore teammate Zach Evans? Does Gary red shirt Zach Evans so there is a year between Barlow, and D. Foster and Zach? If they don't, are we a run first offense with Max now? Is the O Line good enough to be run first? Would Coach Meacham allow us to be a run first?

good call on the potential impact of stewart and i would love to see tcu sign more kids from gpns.

as far as playing right now if he is the best back on the squad the answer is play him right now. if he is the talent he appears from his high school tape he isn't staying five years.

as far as the offense if they can find any way to diminish the pressure on max do it. not knocking max, but he wasn't ready to carry the offense on his own last year (please no comments about reagor and the receivers as we all agree the receivers must get better as well) so if that can be achieved by running the ball 40+ times a game so be it.

finally, ALLOW? is this a serious question about what meacham will or won't allow offensively?

Wexahu

I would venture a guess that based on ability, Evans is probably #1 on the depth chart right now. It's not like there are a couple seasoned juniors or seniors ahead of him. Evans is a better runner than Barlow or Foster right now, he'll just have to prove he is reliable and that he isn't a knucklehead.

If he can do those things, day 1 starter IMO. That's what 5-star talent is, especially at a position like running back. He sure as hell isn't redshirting.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Is the O Line good enough to be run first?

Unknown. But, a back with excellent vision can really help with the execution of any play.

Would Coach Meacham allow us to be a run first?

I think having a back that talented sitting behind the QB makes defending just that much more difficult. I didn't see any highlights of his pass catching ability, but hitting that guy in the flat or off the wheel route... Whoa, nellie!

FrogCoach84

I would venture a guess that based on ability, Evans is probably #1 on the depth chart right now. It's not like there are a couple seasoned juniors or seniors ahead of him. Evans is a better runner than Barlow or Foster right now, he'll just have to prove he is reliable and that he isn't a knucklehead.

If he can do those things, day 1 starter IMO. That's what 5-star talent is, especially at a position like running back. He sure as hell isn't redshirting.

I hope they find some sets to get two RBs on the field together. I would have liked to see more of Darius and Sewo on the field together. I think with Duggan at QB your 11, 20, and 21 personnel sets could suit you better than your 10 personnel. I don't think you have to be a ground and pound offense to use those sets either.

Of course in those sets its even tougher to rotate 137 WRs on and off the field but hopefully those days are gone moving forward!

Punter1

I hope they find some sets to get two RBs on the field together. I would have liked to see more of Darius and Sewo on the field together. I think with Duggan at QB your 11, 20, and 21 personnel sets could suit you better than your 10 personnel. I don't think you have to be a ground and pound offense to use those sets either.

Of course in those sets its even tougher to rotate 137 WRs on and off the field but hopefully those days are gone moving forward!

That was my 1st thought when we signed Evans is GP told Cumbie to start designing some two RB sets...because obviously Barlow and Evans will be two of our top 11 offensive players and they both need to be on the field a ton...at the same time.

QB: Max
RB: Barlow
RB: Evans
TE: Wells
WR: Taye
WR: Q Johnson

Start here and mix and match....could be scary after a few games...but I doubt we see a bunch of 4-wide sets this year. Probably more 2 TE sets with play action and run pounding.

Froggish

If Evans is even close to projections it will be hard to keep him off the field. He has that much talent.

Kee’yon has been pretty excited on Twitter

Froggish

Rivals wrote an article and got a Evans quote..Said he signed with TCU because it’s closer to his grandmother and she can see him play. He also said there’s early playing time available and we have been putting people in the NFL.

Here’s an interesting nugget:
In the same article an unnamed source said Zach liked the way LSU used their RB in the passing game and it was made to sound like he was told we would running a more “wide open” offense.

I’ve implied a few things but if true, we will be tossing the ball around this fall

jake102

That was my 1st thought when we signed Evans is GP told Cumbie to start designing some two RB sets...because obviously Barlow and Evans will be two of our top 11 offensive players and they both need to be on the field a ton...at the same time.

QB: Max
RB: Barlow
RB: Evans
TE: Wells
WR: Taye
WR: Q Johnson

Start here and mix and match....could be scary after a few games...but I doubt we see a bunch of 4-wide sets this year. Probably more 2 TE sets with play action and run pounding.

Uhh can we have someone else work up the design on a two RB set? Guessing Cumbie's designed two RB set will include both guys standing to either side of the QB, everybody down ready to snap, wait five seconds, one of the RB's shifts to line up behind Duggan, wait five more seconds, snap the ball and hand off to the RB behind Duggan, going the direction of the side the other RB is on.

Punter1

Uhh can we have someone else work up the design on a two RB set? Guessing Cumbie's designed two RB set will include both guys standing to either side of the QB, everybody down ready to snap, wait five seconds, one of the RB's shifts to line up behind Duggan, wait five more seconds, snap the ball and hand off to the RB behind Duggan, going the direction of the side the other RB is on.

Good point...gotta think Kill is gonna be spearheading this with Cumbie and Meach.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
You missed the part where the RB sprints out to catch the fade...

FrogCoach84

They could just put on some 2016 OU tape

Agree with Punter that Evans and Barlow stand a good chance of being 2 of your top 5 skill players and if that's the case it's in your best interest not to have one of them always on the sideline.

Froggish - I'm hoping that some of what that Evans quote may foreshadow is that Gary finally told offensive coaches "Hey you know how we can't ever cover the back on the GD wheel route....maybe try some of that!"

y2kFrog

good call on the potential impact of stewart and i would love to see tcu sign more kids from gpns.

as far as playing right now if he is the best back on the squad the answer is play him right now. if he is the talent he appears from his high school tape he isn't staying five years.

as far as the offense if they can find any way to diminish the pressure on max do it. not knocking max, but he wasn't ready to carry the offense on his own last year (please no comments about reagor and the receivers as we all agree the receivers must get better as well) so if that can be achieved by running the ball 40+ times a game so be it.

finally, ALLOW? is this a serious question about what meacham will or won't allow offensively?

We finished 34th and 24th in rushing yards in 2014 and 15. Of course our second leading rusher was our QB in those years. Aaron Green who probably was the highest rated RB running back we ever had on campus before Evans signed ran for 1226 yards in 2015 so I think it could be a good match.