• The KillerFrogs

So why are Florida Gator fans so upset

CryptoMiner

Isn't this the same player that wouldn't turn his phone in the night before a big high school game, so his coach told him he wasn't playing? Not trying to stir the pot, as Evans is immensely talented. From this, to his recruitment, he just seems to do things a bit differently.

He wanted to keep it handy because there was a sick family member, coach didn't care.

FrogCoach84

His HS coach, John Kay, is a notorious hard ass that runs his program like a military officer. He is a hell of a coach and man who has coached a ton of insanely talented HS players.

Zach is a kid that has been through a lot and made a few mistakes along the way. I think the state championship phone-gate was probably a bit much but it wasn't an isolated incident and was more of a final straw. Coach Kay doesn't discriminate from his 5-star studs all the way down to his backup kicker...the standard is the standard.

Evans also was very diligent throughout the recruiting process in what he was looking for. The fact that after all the twists and turns he's choosing to come to TCU to play for a coach with a lot of similarities to his HS coach gives me a lot of hope for this young man...and for what he has learned along the way.

Patterson won't be anything new to Evans after playing for Coach Kay. This could be a match made in heaven.

LSU Game Attendee

I haven't been following the "Houston Rocket" at all- very pleased with this news. Perhaps Evans worked the environment like a genius and took a long cruise in the Gulf of Bagman before docking at the best place to develop his football skills.
trolling-rods1-scaled.jpg

Eight

His HS coach, John Kay, is a notorious hard ass that runs his program like a military officer. He is a hell of a coach and man who has coached a ton of insanely talented HS players.

Zach is a kid that has been through a lot and made a few mistakes along the way. I think the state championship phone-gate was probably a bit much but it wasn't an isolated incident and was more of a final straw. Coach Kay doesn't discriminate from his 5-star studs all the way down to his backup kicker...the standard is the standard.

Evans also was very diligent throughout the recruiting process in what he was looking for. The fact that after all the twists and turns he's choosing to come to TCU to play for a coach with a lot of similarities to his HS coach gives me a lot of hope for this young man...and for what he has learned along the way.

Patterson won't be anything new to Evans after playing for Coach Kay. This could be a match made in heaven.

all great points as the talent all of a sudden didn't get better at gpns after jay took over the job. talent has been there for years, but jay has demanded a great deal from those kids and expanded some things offensively which has helped get that program to a level it just couldn't quite reach before under aymond .

tough environment in the ship channel area as aymond got assaulted by a parent not that long ago.

clear lake frog made a good point that evans has a high school teammate who as a cornerback would have had a great deal of contact with patterson and can speak firsthand what to expect.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
His HS coach, John Kay, is a notorious hard ass that runs his program like a military officer. He is a hell of a coach and man who has coached a ton of insanely talented HS players...

I don't believe GMFP would recruit a complete head-case (See: Johnny Manziel) to lay waste to his lockerroom. He is willing to give kids a chance, and is also willing to be just as stern a taskmaster as needed to steer someone in the right direction. If it doesn't work out, well, there's the Portal.

jake102

I don't believe GMFP would recruit a complete head-case (See: Johnny Manziel) to lay waste to his lockerroom. He is willing to give kids a chance, and is also willing to be just as stern a taskmaster as needed to steer someone in the right direction. If it doesn't work out, well, there's the Portal.

I bet Patterson wishes he would have taken Manziel or Mayfield, both kids who would came come to TCU. Manziel would have won a NC if the defense was even half decent. Mayfield should have but Riley got scared

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I bet Patterson wishes he would have taken Manziel or Mayfield, both kids who would came come to TCU. Manziel would have won a NC if the defense was even half decent. Mayfield should have but Riley got scared
Perhaps, knowing the results and all. But rolling the dice on the results, while knowing the surety of the crazy? Eh.

FrogCoach84

Additional thought: If Evans can come in and produce as a freshman could this be the recruit that opens the eyes of future in state recruits. Call it the "Ed Oliver Effect" as it was his signing with Houston that created the momentum they had for a few years.

Just look at Evans' 2021 teammates:

Shadrach Banks - WR, 6'0" 190 4 Star Texas A&M Commit
Dematrius Davis - QB, 6'0" 190 4 Star, recent Va Tech decommit with Auburn seen as current favorite
Jaeden Roberts - OG, 6'6" 340 4 Star, 25+ offers
Edzavier Deblaw - OG, 6'4" 340 3 Star, missed 2019 season with injury, 5 offers including LSU

Yes this is going from Point A to Point Z in a hurry but this type of pub surrounding the Evans roller coaster could pay dividends down the road for the Frogs.

Eight

Additional thought: If Evans can come in and produce as a freshman could this be the recruit that opens the eyes of future in state recruits. Call it the "Ed Oliver Effect" as it was his signing with Houston that created the momentum they had for a few years.

Just look at Evans' 2021 teammates:

Shadrach Banks - WR, 6'0" 190 4 Star Texas A&M Commit
Dematrius Davis - QB, 6'0" 190 4 Star, recent Va Tech decommit with Auburn seen as current favorite
Jaeden Roberts - OG, 6'6" 340 4 Star, 25+ offers
Edzavier Deblaw - OG, 6'4" 340 3 Star, missed 2019 season with injury, 5 offers including LSU

Yes this is going from Point A to Point Z in a hurry but this type of pub surrounding the Evans roller coaster could pay dividends down the road for the Frogs.

agreed, this is one of the high schools in the gulf coast area for producing talent on a regular basis and how well stewart played for tcu last year is an example of the "lesser" rated talent coming out of that school

hopefully this can open the door because if tcu can get into gpns i do think that will open some other schools in the gulf coast area