• The KillerFrogs

25 years ago today

LVH

mayfest_0025z.jpg

LVH

The terrible Mayfest hailstorm?

Yes and even though I was only 7 at the time I still remember it very well. I was with a babysitter that night and we were supposed to go to Mayfest but for some reason we didn't - it sure wasn't because of a storm because I remember clearly that day that it was sunny, not a cloud in sight because we had a 1st grade picnic at my school that day.

Every window of our house was shattered, my dad's car was totalled and he had to get a new one. The fence in our backyard blew down and the neighbors dogs got into our pool and somehow didn't drown. I remember being more scared of tornadoes at the time than hail. My babysitter went outside and grabbed a hailstone and put it in the freezer. Was easily the size of a softball

JugbandFrog

Dude! I was in a TGIF off I-30 by the old ratty Ridgmar mall, when that thing blew in. It had this covered glass patio that was destroyed. At first it was kind of cool the way the hail sounded when it hit the glass, but then one shot through the glass and landed on an empty table.

I still remember the lady crying inside because she went there to celebrate getting her first new car (a blue Ford F-150), just off the lot, and that system demolished it.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Yes and even though I was only 7 at the time I still remember it very well. I was with a babysitter that night and we were supposed to go to Mayfest but for some reason we didn't - it sure wasn't because of a storm because I remember clearly that day that it was sunny, not a cloud in sight because we had a 1st grade picnic at my school that day.

Every window of our house was shattered, my dad's car was totalled and he had to get a new one. The fence in our backyard blew down and the neighbors dogs got into our pool and somehow didn't drown. I remember being more scared of tornadoes at the time than hail. My babysitter went outside and grabbed a hailstone and put it in the freezer. Was easily the size of a softball
I was in 5th grade. I remember the sun was still shining when the sirens first went off, which seemed weird. Ended up in the hall under a mattress and found out that when I get scared I fall asleep. I was terrified of tornadoes and the sound of the sirens for a long time thereafter.

Paul in uhh

I always thought you were in your sixties. And a bookmaker at the LV Hilton (Westgate).

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mrs. Brewingfrog and I were actually on the road up to Fort Worth that afternoon, stuck in Houston traffic of course, and heard about it on the radio. Terrible.

HToady

I was on a flight from Dayton Ohio that was diverted to Little Rock. Sat on the tarmac for hours. When I got home at 2am I decided to drive through Trinity Park

You’re 32?!

Mean Purple

You know the rule. Her, not you.

y2kFrog

Had our high school senior trip that day. We got home and bunch of us went to eat at some Italian restaurant on Forest Park Blvd. I don’t even remember what it was called. We heard this big crash sound on the roof and then some guy brought in the biggest hail stone I’ve ever seen in my life. The storm must have just missed us to the north because we only got a few stones. All our parents started calling the restaurant to see if we were ok. I left for home and it was a maze of broken limbs all the way to south Fort Worth. I will definitely never forget that day, if a remember correctly only a few days earlier a storm (tornado?) blew down lights at Amon Carter Stadium.

LVH

Had our high school senior trip that day. We got home and bunch of us went to eat at some Italian restaurant on Forest Park Blvd. I don’t even remember what it was called. We heard this big crash sound on the roof and then some guy brought in the biggest hail stone I’ve ever seen in my life. The storm must have just missed us to the north because we only got a few stones. All our parents started calling the restaurant to see if we were ok. I left for home and it was a maze of broken limbs all the way to south Fort Worth. I will definitely never forget that day, if a remember correctly only a few days earlier a storm (tornado?) blew down lights at Amon Carter Stadium.

April 19 tornado. Same day as the OKC bombing. I remember my dad taking me to Oshman's(anyone remember this place) to get a baseball bat. When we were leaving the store my dad said "It's getting ready to pour". This is what made me more scared of tornadoes than hail.

BABYFACE

LVH, you are younger than I thought you were.

On that night, a bud and I were supposed to meet up with some other friends at a party in Dallas. As we trekked from FTW to Dallas, we got caught up in flood waters on NW Hwy. I turned into the nearest parking lot that wasn’t flooded, and it was Caligula 21. So, we went inside had fun in the top shop for a few hours. Headed back to FTW once the flooding had receded. When we got to Cowtown, is when we started see the carnage from the hailstorm.

Last edited: