• The KillerFrogs

Offensive Football

Froggish

More in the offensive football side. I haven’t given this a listen but it’s on my list. Maybe Meech will drop a few insights

Eight

More in the offensive football side. I haven’t given this a listen but it’s on my list. Maybe Meech will drop a few insights

listened to it and not any big surprises.

he is an air raid guy who believes in going fast and he mentions going fast multiple times which is a bit of a concern

talks a bit why he isn't a fan of dropping a great deal of the quarterbacks and it makes sense, but again i am a bit concerned about the focus on simplicity and tempo

says very positive things about gary and how he coaches the defense. makes a very interesting comment that is isn't as much what they do defensively, but how it is taught and trained.

had me thinking about the idea riley has an idea on how to attack tcu by attacking how the defense will respond to certain formations, motions etc....

made a comment about lsu about how it wasn't a matter of scheme as much as protection, talent at receiver and a generational quarterback

i do wonder about running an offense that is geared for the passing game that requires accuracy which max has got to get better

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
had me thinking about the idea riley has an idea on how to attack tcu by attacking how the defense will respond to certain formations, motions etc....
I don't believe there's any doubt as to Riley's getting into GMFP's OODA loop. He had a package specifically set up for the BIGXII Championship that was subtly different from the regular season set of tweaks. I remember a couple of plays where they had somebody isolated, and he made a particular decision based on what he was shown, and bam! There goes a big play. GMFP made adjustments for the Championship, and Lincoln already had his adjustments prepared and waiting like yawning traps. I don't think GMFP likes getting outsmarted. Not one bit.

The real clincher to me is how well the OU offense executes. How beautiful their timing is. Football jiu-jitsu.

Froggish

listened to it and not any big surprises.

he is an air raid guy who believes in going fast and he mentions going fast multiple times which is a bit of a concern

talks a bit why he isn't a fan of dropping a great deal of the quarterbacks and it makes sense, but again i am a bit concerned about the focus on simplicity and tempo

says very positive things about gary and how he coaches the defense. makes a very interesting comment that is isn't as much what they do defensively, but how it is taught and trained.

made a comment about lsu about how it wasn't a matter of scheme as much as protection, talent at receiver and a generational quarterback

i do wonder about running an offense that is geared for the passing game that requires accuracy which max has got to get better

Finally listened. It was fun getting more insight into Meachum. He’s an air raid guy through and through but he does say that Leach is the only guy actually running the pure air raid. Everyone else including himself is adding to the concepts.

Id agree that the tempo stuff he swears by is problematic. I would imagine it played a roll in the original dust up at TCU.

Eight

Finally listened. It was fun getting more insight into Meachum. He’s an air raid guy through and through but he does say that Leach is the only guy actually running the pure air raid. Everyone else including himself is adding to the concepts.

Id agree that the tempo stuff he swears by is problematic. I would imagine it played a roll in the original dust up at TCU.

one thing he said at the end which is sooooo key in coaching is having to vary how the message is delivered because everyone learns differently

Froggish

I don't believe there's any doubt as to Riley's getting into GMFP's OODA loop. He had a package specifically set up for the BIGXII Championship that was subtly different from the regular season set of tweaks. I remember a couple of plays where they had somebody isolated, and he made a particular decision based on what he was shown, and bam! There goes a big play. GMFP made adjustments for the Championship, and Lincoln already had his adjustments prepared and waiting like yawning traps. I don't think GMFP likes getting outsmarted. Not one bit.

The real clincher to me is how well the OU offense executes. How beautiful their timing is. Football jiu-jitsu.

Never seen a coach be able to create so much space on a field. He’s special

Eight

one other thing he said during the podcast that really struck home was when he was asked about offenses that rush to the line and then stand over the ball and let the clock run

doug went as far as saying they would be better off huddling than rushing to the line, stand over the ball, and then let the defense recognize the formation etc..

Froggish

one other thing he said during the podcast that really struck home was when he was asked about offenses that rush to the line and then stand over the ball and let the clock run

doug went as far as saying they would be better off huddling than rushing to the line, stand over the ball, and then let the defense recognize the formation etc..

I noticed that as well. I badly wanted the interviewer to talk about the use of set/reset and presnap motion as a way to keep defenses off balance. Outside of RB/Slot motion which he uses seldom, Meachums offensive have been pretty stagnant from a scheme perspective

4th. down

I always thought insanity, and especially as we kept doing it over and over again and it not working for the most part.

Meach said that in practice that it's tough to make 1" against GP's defense so I would bet that GP really makes the adjustments as the offense goes into their clap, clap,..............clap, clap. This, more than anything else, makes me wonder about Sonny's play calling and his execution of getting the play on the field.

Froggish

Meachum is clearly a really bright offensive mind and is willing to be creative and aggressive. Is his system a little long in the tooth? Probably....but the most profound thing he says in this podcast is “protection beats coverage”. When he talks about LSU he talks about their offensive success being a result of their that extra second of protection that Burrows got. When you protect well, it almost doesn’t matter your passing scheme

Snoop1122

The podcast shows just how much offensive terminology Meacham knows and how much he knows about the Air Raid offense. He is an offensive genius.