• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Big 12's Bob Bowlsby fears virus may come 'roaring back,' disrupt season

Moose Stuff

So...you don't have anything you're willing to share. It's a common thread here: there's no empirical data to support your claim, but you believe it because you want it to be true.

I see 0.2%, but even if it is 0.1%, that means 1 of every 1000. Between scholarship players and walkons, there are somewhere around 12,000-13,000 FBS CFB players. If we basically follow the theory of herd immunity - which you're going to have to do in order to practice or play a football game - then it would be virtually impossible to believe someone wouldn't die, especially when you factor in the kids who have asthma or some other pre-existing condition.

And that also doesn't factor in any of the coaches or staff...VERY few of whom are between 20-29.

I did LOL that we didn't even make it to Page 3 before the anti-vaxxers came out. Says a lot about the level of intelligence surrounding this "debate".

You ought to try the Corona thread. Not only are there a few dozen posts citing percentages that are fractions of a fraction below yours but there are some people I think you'd really like in there as well. Beyond that I don't give a crap whether you think I'm right or wrong. Literally could not care less. Also worth noting that people not wanting to get a Covid vaccine (especially the first one that comes out) doesn't make them an "anti vaxxer" but that doesn't suit your narrative so carry one.

Edit.... you realize that ALL 12,000-13,000 college football players aren't gonna get corona right? The odds of even 10% of them getting it is really really low. So to say that it's virtually impossible for someone not to die is laughable.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

That is impossible. The most you could be lost is 100%.

I am not going to renew my football or basketball tickets because I am not comfortable going to sporting events this year and TCUs refund policy -- "If the games are cancelled" -- does not address games played without fans (which I think is going to happen).

You don't know me very well. I can easily get more than 100% lost.

jake102

So...you don't have anything you're willing to share. It's a common thread here: there's no empirical data to support your claim, but you believe it because you want it to be true.

I see 0.2%, but even if it is 0.1%, that means 1 of every 1000. Between scholarship players and walkons, there are somewhere around 12,000-13,000 FBS CFB players. If we basically follow the theory of herd immunity - which you're going to have to do in order to practice or play a football game - then it would be virtually impossible to believe someone wouldn't die, especially when you factor in the kids who have asthma or some other pre-existing condition.

And that also doesn't factor in any of the coaches or staff...VERY few of whom are between 20-29.

I did LOL that we didn't even make it to Page 3 before the anti-vaxxers came out. Says a lot about the level of intelligence surrounding this "debate".

.02% who cares. That’s all 20-29 year olds. Half of players are in the 10-19 category where it’s even lower. I’d be shocked if the rate is above .01% for a college football player. Probably lower than the number who die during workouts.

The coaches are certainly much more at risk... and should have option to not participate. But it is their livelihood

jake102

Double post

YA

TCU needs to let ticket holders know that if the fans are not allowed at Games, but still played, there will be a refund.

I love me some TCU and don’t hide that fact with my commitments.

But I’m also not stupid with my money and if no games can be attended then I’m not comfortable with the donation for the year.

Big Frog II

TCU needs to let ticket holders know that if the fans are not allowed at Games, but still played, there will be a refund.

But I’m also not stupid with my money and if no games can be attended then I’m not comfortable with the donation for the year.
I imagine they don't know the answer to that question yet.

Pharm Frog

I imagine they don't know the answer to that question yet.

How on earth could they not know the answer to that question? Very simple concept... Unless you are suggesting that the unknown is only about whether fans will be allowed to attend or not. Regardless, that has no bearing on refund v no refund v partial refund policy.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
How on earth could they not know the answer to that question? Very simple concept... Unless you are suggesting that the unknown is only about whether fans will be allowed to attend or not. Regardless, that has no bearing on refund v no refund v partial refund policy.
It was just yesterday that Aggy proclaimed they would play football this fall, and only within the last 10 days that colleges began stating that they would be holding fall classes.

These are very, very careful mice.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
The facts as we know them now based on the actual data, not predictive models, is that the antibody testing worldwide is supporting the theory that the infection rate of COVID-19 is between 20-40 times higher than current official numbers reflect. Even the most conservatively reported number from the Washington Post has infections outpacing the number of confirmed tested COVID cases by a factor of 10 or more:

"The new serological data, which is provisional, suggests that coronavirus infections greatly outnumber confirmed covid-19 cases, potentially by a factor of 10 or more. Many people experience mild symptoms or none at all, and never get the standard diagnostic test with a swab up the nose, so they’re missed in the official covid-19 case counts."

source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...c215d8-87f7-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html

Aside from the misleading headline in the story above, it's clear that the morbidity rate is far higher than we anticipated or have tested for at this point, which in the inverse means the mortality rate is much lower than the current CDC stats allude. Additional antibody testing coupled with the unreliability in current COVID-19 testing procedures have all come to the same early conclusions. Anyone still touting a 5-7% mortality rate assigned to COVID-19 isn't using the current data collected, either because they're unaware or are purposefully misleading individuals.

Speaking of testing, many reports on the efficacy of the tests and the success of various countries around the world in testing large portions of their population are littered with misinformation. For weeks the media was touting Germany and South Korea as the model for the US when it came to testing our population; some reports even erroneously touted Germany having testing the majority of its population (82 million). Currently the data shows that the US has surpassed 6 million tested while Germany is right around 2.5 million tested and South Korea well under 1 million (source: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-total-tests-for-covid-19):

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 11.35.50 AM.jpg

This means that any correlation to the mortality rate of COVID-19 based solely on these tests can't be taken seriously by any scientific measure.

Finally, those that are touting a vaccine as a fix to all of this and the milestone by which we can all go back to our lives really have no idea how viral vaccines are produced or their efficacy rate. Like most viruses—including Influenza—COVID-19 has already mutated and hasn't shown signs that it won't continue to do so in the future. It's quite possible that any vaccine currently being worked on is already outdated given the mutation rate of the pathogen. Not that such a vaccine wouldn't have some impact, but it certainly won't be a magic bullet as being touted by those in the media. Most virulent vaccines, like the flu shot, are produced with a degree of estimation towards which strain of the virus will cause the most morbidity in the population that season. Most of the time this estimation is incorrect (see 2016-2017). Even if a vaccine was ready tomorrow the chance that it is targeting the most prevalent strain of the virus or has a 100% efficacy rate (scientifically impossible) is nil.

So, you can sit in your house waiting on a miracle vaccine that will never come, trying to protect everyone in the world from the risk of death, or we can do what we did during the 1918 and 1919 outbreak of the Spanish flu (where there was no vaccine or treatments) and quarantine the sick, practice good hygiene, and build a herd immunity among the healthy. But this time we have two viable treatments for mild and severe cases of COVID: Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin and Remdesivir.

Last edited:

vicarfrog

The facts as we know them now based on the actual data, not predictive models, is that the antibody testing worldwide is supporting the theory that the infection rate of COVID-19 is between 20-40 times higher than current official numbers reflect. Even the most conservatively reported number from the Washington Post has infections outpacing the number of confirmed tested COVID cases by a factor of 10 or more:

"The new serological data, which is provisional, suggests that coronavirus infections greatly outnumber confirmed covid-19 cases, potentially by a factor of 10 or more. Many people experience mild symptoms or none at all, and never get the standard diagnostic test with a swab up the nose, so they’re missed in the official covid-19 case counts."

source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...c215d8-87f7-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html

Aside from the misleading headline in the story above, it's clear that the morbidity rate is far higher than we anticipated or have tested for at this point, which in the inverse means the mortality rate is much lower than the current CDC stats allude. Additional antibody testing coupled with the unreliability in current COVID-19 testing procedures have all come to the same early conclusions. Anyone still touting a 5-7% mortality rate assigned to COVID-19 isn't using the current data collected, either because they're unaware or are purposefully misleading individuals.

Speaking of testing, many reports on the efficacy of the tests and the success of various countries around the world in testing large portions of their population are littered with misinformation. For weeks the media was touting Germany and South Korea as the model for the US when it came to testing our population; some reports even erroneously touted Germany having testing the majority of its population (82 million). Currently the data shows that the US has surpassed 6 million tested while Germany is right around 2.5 million tested and South Korea well under 1 million (source: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-total-tests-for-covid-19):

View attachment 7251

This means that any correlation to the mortality rate of COVID-19 based solely on these tests can't be taken seriously by any scientific measure.

Finally, those that are touting a vaccine as a fix to all of this and the milestone by which we can all go back to our lives really have no idea how viral vaccines are produced or their efficacy rate. Like most viruses—including Influenza—COVID-19 has already mutated and hasn't shown signs that it won't continue to do so in the future. It's quite possible that any vaccine currently being worked on is already outdated given the mutation rate of the pathogen. Not that such a vaccine wouldn't have some impact, but it certainly won't be a mic bullet as being touted by those in the media. Most virulent vaccines, like the flu shot, are produced with a degree of estimation towards which strain of the virus will cause the most morbidity in the population that season. Most of the time this estimation is incorrect (see 2016-2017). Even if a vaccine was ready tomorrow the chance that it is targeting the most prevalent strain of the virus or has a 100% efficacy rate (scientifically impossible) is nil.

So, you can sit in your house waiting on a miracle vaccine that will never come, trying to protect everyone in the world from the risk of death, or we can do what we did during the 1918 and 1919 outbreak of the Spanish flu (where there was no vaccine or treatments) and quarantine the sick, practice good hygiene, and build a herd immunity among the healthy. But this time we have two viable treatments for mild and severe cases of COVID: Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin and Remdesivir.

So mild = hydroxy + azith & Severe = Rem?

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
So mild = hydroxy + azith & Severe = Rem?

According to the front line doctors caring for COVID patients, yes. HQC+AZ isn't a cure, and it doesn't work once the virus progresses to a severe stage, but clinical results of Rem show it has a decent efficacy on the virus in later stages. The FDC has already approved Rem for COVID treatment.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.

View attachment 7251

Finally, those that are touting a vaccine as a fix to all of this and the milestone by which we can all go back to our lives really have no idea how viral vaccines are produced or their efficacy rate. Like most viruses—including Influenza—COVID-19 has already mutated and hasn't shown signs that it won't continue to do so in the future. It's quite possible that any vaccine currently being worked on is already outdated given the mutation rate of the pathogen. Not that such a vaccine wouldn't have some impact, but it certainly won't be a mic bullet as being touted by those in the media. Most virulent vaccines, like the flu shot, are produced with a degree of estimation towards which strain of the virus will cause the most morbidity in the population that season. Most of the time this estimation is incorrect (see 2016-2017). Even if a vaccine was ready tomorrow the chance that it is targeting the most prevalent strain of the virus or has a 100% efficacy rate (scientifically impossible) is nil.

You just demanded that people drink bleach.

Pharm Frog

According to the front line doctors caring for COVID patients, yes. HQC+AZ isn't a cure, and it doesn't work once the virus progresses to a severe stage, but clinical results of Rem show it has a decent efficacy on the virus in later stages. The FDC has already approved Rem for COVID treatment.

Anecdotal unless you have a financial stake in Gilead in which case it’s anti-science to dispute.

Bizarro Frog

Can you imagine the lawsuits filed if a player catches COVID-19 and dies from playing playing college sports? It’s not the Flu. Please stop that argument. The flu is a know commodity and does not spread for weeks by people that don’t know they even have it. They Flu also does not attack your other internal organs like this son of gun does.

don

During an internal TCU Zoom meeting this week, that question was brought up. I believe the answer was that there would be a refund (or possibly future credit) if you aren't allowed to attend a game that was played. If you are allowed to attend and choose not to because of Covid concerns, I don't think there is a refund. Hopefully this info will be out soon.

Also if you are renewing, it would be great if it was May 31 or earlier, and not on June 1st. That's a different fiscal year for TCU.