• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Big 12's Bob Bowlsby fears virus may come 'roaring back,' disrupt season

jake102

We need leaders at some post to come out and say it...... People are gonna keep getting sick and people are gonna keep dying. Deal with it. I don't give a scheiss what the media says. The end.

I thought Abbott has done a really good job, but he made a major mistake not preempting that cases and deaths are going to rise for a time period as we re-open.

LVH

We need leaders at some post to come out and say it...... People are gonna keep getting sick and people are gonna keep dying. Deal with it. I don't give a scheiss what the media says. The end.

But saying such a thing will signal to others that you don't care, you see. Nothing is worse these days than appearing like you don't care. Hence why virtue signaling is all the rage in the marketing industry.

I honestly think the arms race by state and local politicians to one up the other when it came to lockdowns, orders, business closures, etc. was for said politicians to show that they care more and care the most. "You are only having a shelter in place until May 10? Well I am going to make mine June 10, because I care more, you see"

I forgot who said this quote, but its applicable: "People would rather hear comforting lies than harsh truths". Hence why Mayor Goodman here got destroyed last week, because she was saying some harsh truths.

Also, "people would rather live on their knees than die on their feet" explains why so many want this lockdown to last until the virus is eradicated.

Frog DJ

I don't pretend to know the slightest thing about the science behind this disease or the solution, but I do understand how media works.

I have sat in conference rooms filled with "The Suits" drooling all over great ratings, and instructing us to "keep this train running on the tracks."

They couldn't care less about the truth or journalistic integrity - all they want is for those ratings to stay up, so the revenue can keep pouring in.

You can be guaranteed all the news departments (left, right, middle) want this crisis to drag on just as long as possible, because it's good business.

Go Frogs!

LVH

I don't pretend to know the slightest thing about the science behind this disease or the solution, but I do understand how media works.

I have sat in conference rooms filled with "The Suits" drooling all over great ratings, and instructing us to "keep this train running on the tracks."

They couldn't care less about the truth or journalistic integrity - all they want is for those ratings to stay up, so the revenue can keep pouring in.

You can be guaranteed all the news departments (left, right, middle) want this crisis to drag on just as long as possible, because it's good business.

Go Frogs!

And then you factor in Operation Mockingbird...

Moose Stuff

Cite your research. Does Dr. Moose Stuff have an extensive background in epidemiology? Or has he just been mainlining Facebook posts?

My research is literally every reputable article I've read on the matter in the last month combined with the undeniable fact that the amount of people in this country that have had this virus is exponentially higher then the verifies data shows. I wouldn't be caught dead on Facebook. Anything else you need help with?

notyalc

I'll go along with opening in phases but once were open we need to stay open. The economy is based on future expectations and if everyone is waiting for the next shut down, they won't spend and they won't invest. Heck, they won't go back to work.

Make plan and stick with it.

vicarfrog

Just reading through everyone's comments, and I have an honest question. So you hear about the majority of sailors who were asymptomatic on Roosevelt, you hear about the Standford study that shows this virus was here earlier than February which puts the death rate in the in .2-.6% range (still deadlier than the flu, but not nearly to the level that the media is drumming), than you have Dr. Erickson in Bakersfield, CA saying something similar.

I truly want to believe the above, but if that is the case, how do you get New York City & Lombardy, Italy? How do you account for the mass graves and overflowing morgues if the above is true? Is it that this virus just quietly simmered through the low-risk people and has now finally made it to the high-risk (and people just thought they had the flu)? Is it that the above examples are just rubbish and hijacked politically? Is it 2 different strains? Do we even know?

Not trying to pick a fight, I really want to understand.

LVH

Just reading through everyone's comments, and I have an honest question. So you hear about the majority of sailors who were asymptomatic on Roosevelt, you hear about the Standford study that shows this virus was here earlier than February which puts the death rate in the in .2-.6% range (still deadlier than the flu, but not nearly to the level that the media is drumming), than you have Dr. Erickson in Bakersfield, CA saying something similar.

I truly want to believe the above, but if that is the case, how do you get New York City & Lombardy, Italy? How do you account for the mass graves and overflowing morgues if the above is true? Is it that this virus just quietly simmered through the low-risk people and has now finally made it to the high-risk (and people just thought they had the flu)? Is it that the above examples are just rubbish and hijacked politically? Is it 2 different strains? Do we even know?

Not trying to pick a fight, I really want to understand.

Population density I would say is the main factor. Lombary has a very high population density and almost everyone lives in multi generational attached dwelling units.

New York has its subways. No one has a car in New York, at least not to drive around to get places. Plus its a highly dense city.

Another thing the media loves to ignore about Lombardy is that it is home to a lot of Chinese nationals who work at the chinese textile plants there.

New York is also bad because their governor and mayor of NYC forced nursing homes to take in COVID patients. The media is also ignoring this while making Florida Governor DeSantis and Georgia Governor Kemp out to be The Legion of Evil Governors Who Want People To Die.

And as bad as Lombardy/New York City are, it doesnt change the fact most deaths there were those already at risk. It's just that the at risk populations had a higher chance of getting it because of the population densities.

Returning to Bowlsby's original comments, all the talk of delaying the season makes no sense. If there is a concern about the late fall, maybe they should be looking to move up and start the season the week before labor day instead of pushing it into late September or October.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
You lost me at 5-6%. Like 110% lost me.

That is impossible. The most you could be lost is 100%.

I am not going to renew my football or basketball tickets because I am not comfortable going to sporting events this year and TCUs refund policy -- "If the games are cancelled" -- does not address games played without fans (which I think is going to happen).

Pharm Frog

That is impossible. The most you could be lost is 100%.

I am not going to renew my football or basketball tickets because I am not comfortable going to sporting events this year and TCUs refund policy -- "If the games are cancelled" -- does not address games played without fans (which I think is going to happen).

Sounds like an excellent decision for you.

DickBumpastache

My research is literally every reputable article I've read on the matter in the last month combined with the undeniable fact that the amount of people in this country that have had this virus is exponentially higher then the verifies data shows. I wouldn't be caught dead on Facebook. Anything else you need help with?

So...you don't have anything you're willing to share. It's a common thread here: there's no empirical data to support your claim, but you believe it because you want it to be true.

I see the mortality rate for someone 20-29 is 0.1%

I see 0.2%, but even if it is 0.1%, that means 1 of every 1000. Between scholarship players and walkons, there are somewhere around 12,000-13,000 FBS CFB players. If we basically follow the theory of herd immunity - which you're going to have to do in order to practice or play a football game - then it would be virtually impossible to believe someone wouldn't die, especially when you factor in the kids who have asthma or some other pre-existing condition.

And that also doesn't factor in any of the coaches or staff...VERY few of whom are between 20-29.

I did LOL that we didn't even make it to Page 3 before the anti-vaxxers came out. Says a lot about the level of intelligence surrounding this "debate".