• The KillerFrogs

NCAA will permit athletes to be compensated

Dogfrog

Any negative reaction to this is just another example of the athletes getting screwed by the schools and others with money/power. Which is a time-honored tradition. The term "student/athlete" was actually coined by the schools back when the kids were trying to get workers' compensation for their injuries. The schools said, oh no they are STUDENT/athletes, so no WC. Which is horse crap.

Playing college football is a voluntary activity.

HFrog12

Any negative reaction to this is just another example of the athletes getting screwed by the schools and others with money/power. Which is a time-honored tradition. The term "student/athlete" was actually coined by the schools back when the kids were trying to get workers' compensation for their injuries. The schools said, oh no they are STUDENT/athletes, so no WC. Which is horse crap.

Sometimes I think you are of the opinion that all college football players feel like they got screwed by the system. I have talked to plenty and have listened to many interviews and experiences where players are so grateful for the opportunity and chance they were given. Either by the resources on the field or in the classroom Again I will say, I am not immediately against this proposition. I think it is worth entertaining and figuring out how to make it better for the student/athlete. But to say "Any negative reaction is just another example of athletes getting screwed" is a little out of touch. We can sit here and want better for the athletes while also having a negative/skeptical opinion of what this will do in the long run. I think it could have an immediate positive impact but also think there is a very slippery slope. I am talking long term. My negative reaction is the fear for the net long-term positives for ALL student athletes, not just the elite elite. But I will spare potential legitimate hypothetical scenarios because we can only think in the now and in the past on this board.

YA

Sometimes I think you are of the opinion that all college football players feel like they got screwed by the system. I have talked to plenty and have listened to many interviews and experiences where players are so grateful for the opportunity and chance they were given. Either by the resources on the field or in the classroom Again I will say, I am not immediately against this proposition. I think it is worth entertaining and figuring out how to make it better for the student/athlete. But to say "Any negative reaction is just another example of athletes getting screwed" is a little out of touch. We can sit here and want better for the athletes while also having a negative/skeptical opinion of what this will do in the long run. I think it could have an immediate positive impact but also think there is a very slippery slope. I am talking long term. My negative reaction is the fear for the net long-term positives for ALL student athletes, not just the elite elite. But I will spare potential legitimate hypothetical scenarios because we can only think in the now and in the past on this board.
Steel is just upset that his wrestling scholarship son at Northwestern was ignored for the football players at parties--the outrage!!!

steelfrog

Tier 1
This is exactly the same reaction that people had to the full pay thing a few years ago, and what happened? Nothing, things kept going as they had. That's what will happen here -- whatever changes happen, the inertia in the system will keep everything going as it has for decades, with minor if even perceptible changes. Remember, full pay was supposed to kill everything and all sports that weren't football or basketball were going to go away. That was the narrative. Didn't happen. There's an ocean of money there, let the kids have some of it and the corporations and fat coaches have slightly less, but still too much.

That is all.

flyfishingfrog

the chance to attend college while playing football changed my life - I was the first in my family to ever set foot on a college campus and would never have gone had TCU not offered me the chance. Now every member of my family after me has attended college after high school, so it started a cycle.

People who act like the fact that because some a lot of these kids don't take advantage of the opportunity under the assumption they will go pro means they are all getting screwed are full of crap. They could change their life if they wanted - we have lots of athletes at TCU that graduate with real degrees and start their non-football career right after graduation.

netty2424

Imagine the locker room issues that will arise when a player gets set up by a booster and they didn’t get the same “respect” and feel slighted.

Frog DJ

I'm a moderately moderate moderate (and moderately proud of it), so it's no surprise that I see both sides of this issue.

On the one hand, it is patently unfair that college athletes can't get a job and earn extra spending money. When I was a student at TCU one of my football player friends was broke all the time. I can remember several of us pooling a few bucks each so he could take his girlfriend to dinner and a movie on Friday night. Meanwhile, I paid my way through college by working as a DJ on the radio six days a week. Between school and the radio I virtually worked all the time, but so did my football buddy. The difference was I had some spending money in my pocket, so I understand the sentiment behind allowing athletes to profit off their names, images and likenesses.

On the other hand, it doesn't take a fertile imagination to see how all of this could go haywire really fast! Many of the possibilities have already been mentioned in this thread, so I won't repeat them, but it's easy to envision rich alums offering lucrative endorsement deals to highly-rated recruits as an incentive to sign with their alma maters. Needless to say, this could lead to bidding wars of mammoth proportions, and I can't see how that's good for college sports. Certainly the devil is in the details, and several posters have pointed out that we don't have all of those details yet, so much of this is pure conjecture on our part, but there are definitely two sides to this issue.

Go Frogs!

Wog68

The NCAA could bring back the freshman ineligible rule which would require all to play Frosh sports and successfully complete classes. Those not interested in academics might go in other directions. Not many would get paid for playing Frosh sports.
As the NCAA is a voluntary organization, any school is free to leave and join another organization such as Seattle U. did in 1983 when Father Bill Sullivan took the Chiefs to the NAIA Div3 because of rampant payments to the BB players.

Eight

The NCAA could bring back the freshman ineligible rule which would require all to play Frosh sports and successfully complete classes. Those not interested in academics might go in other directions. Not many would get paid for playing Frosh sports.
As the NCAA is a voluntary organization, any school is free to leave and join another organization such as Seattle U. did in 1983 when Father Bill Sullivan took the Chiefs to the NAIA Div3 because of rampant payments to the BB players.

correct me if i am wrong, but when freshman weren't eligible for varsity participation there weren't scholarship limits in football