• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

ShadowFrog

Moderators
My biggest mistake of college... didn't make near enough connections because I already knew multiple people from HS coming to TCU. Was great strengthening those friendships but should have made others also. Fortunately I got a degree (and then another) that got me in the door by itself.
+4

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Still see plenty of men on high reach machines working brick on East side. Is there an updated completion dates for East side, music, Admin, etc.?

Brog

Also looks like they're working on the area we call Frog Alley, moving dirt around, etc. And wonder if all the bricks with names/classes/etc on them will be coming back.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Not one thing I leaned at TCU was more important than the connections I made and the maturity I gained (minimal, admittedly) by being on my own.

I don’t believe going to college online is the same thing as being on campus for 4 or 5 years.
Trying to recall from smewhere in '81-'83, SWEAT v. UT (or some name from there) about the first black student to attend their law school...the US Supreme Court cited with approval, plaintiff's argument that he'd be missing out on the old-boy network unless he personally was on campus.

froginaustin

Trying to recall from smewhere in '81-'83, SWEAT v. UT (or some name from there) about the first black student to attend their law school...the US Supreme Court cited with approval, plaintiff's argument that he'd be missing out on the old-boy network unless he personally was on campus.

Sweatt v. Painter, decided in the late '40's. One direct result was the lege founding a law school at Texas Southern University, the "separate but equal" law school. UTx may have had the only public law school in Texas before TSU's came on line.

Another story that sounds like urban legend but I assume is not, because it was told to a group of law students at a Scholtz Garten happy hour by the late, great Prof. Charles Alan Wright, was that new law student Heman Sweatt (yup, that's how his name is spelled -- it's now blazoned on the main Travis County Courthouse) likely received the best education that any UTx law student ever enjoyed.

Mr. Sweatt was admitted to law school, but not allowed in class on campus. How that was pulled off, I have no idea. So class came to Mr. Sweatt. One-on-one tutoring, off campus, by UTx law faculty.

Prof. Wright was definitely capable of pulling law students' legs, to use an old expression. But he told this story with a serious, straight face.