• The KillerFrogs

Very interesting read

Zubaz

See, you are part of the problem. You don’t believe in debate that does not align with your belief. You are not judge and jury. The anti term is used to shutdown debate and use the term “established truth” loosely. See that you enjoy exercising fascism. Hitler would have loved your mindset.
That sure escalated quickly. "I don't think anti-vaxxers have valid arguments" became "facism and Hitler"? Goodness.

There's a fundamental difference between "I think the jury is out on whether supply side solutions can work" (debatable, lots of theory and variables to discuss) and "I think the earth is flat" (objectively false, all observable evidence refutes it). There's no point "debating" the latter. It's a false statement, it's established as false, it warrants no further consideration. There's no "well, we should consider this as valid", because it's a waste of time to do so. We agree there?

Anti-Vax stuff is not objectively false in the same way that flat earth stuff is...but it's not that far off in terms of evidence, and it is arguably more dangerous because while Flat Earthers are dumb, ultimately their stupidity doesn't threaten the health and wellbeing of those around them like anti-vaxxers do.

Purp

I personally believe vaccines have been very useful to society. I also believe anti-vaxxers are too bc a healthy skepticism of government and big business is very important. I think the ridicule hurled at anti-vaxxers is unnecessary and damages the case for vaccines.

There may be some looney toons who are anti-vaxxers, but most of the ones I know aren't. They are always open to useful information, but very closed off to vitriol. Unfortunately I don't recall seeing many debates with them on merits. It's unfortunate bc both sides have important things to contribute to the discussion.

tcudoc

See, you are part of the problem. You don’t believe in debate that does not align with your belief. You are not judge and jury. The anti term is used to shutdown debate and use the term “established truth” loosely. See that you enjoy exercising fascism. Hitler would have loved your mindset.
Godwin’s Law on page 2. The other thread took a couple hundred pages.
Great job everybody!!

West Coast Johnny

You should disagree with them as your right to voice opinion. I agree with vaccinations, they are good thing. But, I will not prevent debate even if I think it is ludicrous.
Go ahead and waste your time listening to the morons who would prefer their children get Measles then get a shot. Their ideas aren't only stupid they are dangerous because liberal idiots are easily convinced by wack-job kooks.

Spike

So you are saying the world is flat?

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Somni 451 would disagree...

BABYFACE

Go ahead and waste your time listening to the morons who would prefer their children get Measles then get a shot. Their ideas aren't only stupid they are dangerous because liberal idiots are easily convinced by wack-job kooks.
I don’t listen to them, I just go about my business instead shouting down. I agree, to not vaccinate, is foolish.

froginaustin

No one shouted anyone down, or attempted to.

Anti-vaxx stuff tends to the objectively false. It began with fraudulent medical studies that produced objectively false conclusions. Those studies have been repudiated by the former researcher that did them and published false results, with his apologies.

The voices that seem to have the floor for the anti-vaxx movement do spout objectively false information, although hiding somewhere in that movement I hope that there are reasonable, persuadable people.

The anti-vaxx movement generates clear dangers to members of our herd who do not have herd immunity to some life-threatening diseases, and for various objectively true reasons cannot or should not be vaccinated.

There is no harm at all in a passing, unflattering swipe at anti-vaxx advocates.

HG73

No one shouted anyone down, or attempted to.

Anti-vaxx stuff tends to the objectively false. It began with fraudulent medical studies that produced objectively false conclusions. Those studies have been repudiated by the former researcher that did them and published false results, with his apologies.

The voices that seem to have the floor for the anti-vaxx movement do spout objectively false information, although hiding somewhere in that movement I hope that there are reasonable, persuadable people.

The anti-vaxx movement generates clear dangers to members of our herd who do not have herd immunity to some life-threatening diseases, and for various objectively true reasons cannot or should not be vaccinated.

There is no harm at all in a passing, unflattering swipe at anti-vaxx advocates.
I hate shots.