• The KillerFrogs

Streaming is dead

westoverhillbilly

Has anyone done (or know anyone who's done) the new AT&T TV with the new remote control & box? It's cheaper and seems simpler than the traditional Directv and has alot of promotions to sign up (i.e. free HBO & Showtime) , but I'm always wary in that they burn off over time and then they hit you hard..

Purp

I think Spectrum has specials right now offering 200mps/$40 mo or 400mps/$50 monthly. If you need more bandwidth than that, and I don't know why you would, but I think ATT has internet only at 1000mps/$70 monthly.
Just had Spectrum 200 mbps installed Friday. My actual download speed is 15 mbps. Going to call tomorrow to raise hell. Might not turn off uverse.

Double D

Tier 1
Where are you located? I've heard Spectrum speeds vary depending on where you are due to some franchises being better maintained that others. For example, Dallas is not so great but I heard Fort Worth is solid.

Just had Spectrum 200 mbps installed Friday. My actual download speed is 15 mbps. Going to call tomorrow to raise hell. Might not turn off uverse.

asleep003

Has anyone done (or know anyone who's done) the new AT&T TV with the new remote control & box? It's cheaper and seems simpler than the traditional Directv and has alot of promotions to sign up (i.e. free HBO & Showtime) , but I'm always wary in that they burn off over time and then they hit you hard..
you must be young.... that is why we stream and loved cutting those cords.

Purp

Where are you located? I've heard Spectrum speeds vary depending on where you are due to some franchises being better maintained that others. For example, Dallas is not so great but I heard Fort Worth is solid.
Crazy. Just called Spectrum and ran another speed test on the home network while I was giving the service person my account info. I'm not getting 231 mbps down and 12 up. From Friday night until I went to be last night we had been getting 15 down and 2 up. No idea what changed, but I like it. It's literally a 1,000% increase over my previous speeds with Uverse. Since fiber isn't available in my neighborhood 23 mbps was the best I ever got from them.

InstaFrog

Crazy. Just called Spectrum and ran another speed test on the home network while I was giving the service person my account info. I'm not getting 231 mbps down and 12 up. From Friday night until I went to be last night we had been getting 15 down and 2 up. No idea what changed, but I like it. It's literally a 1,000% increase over my previous speeds with Uverse. Since fiber isn't available in my neighborhood 23 mbps was the best I ever got from them.

CanYouHearMe2.gif

May be time to change out your phone line too.

Jet Set Frog

That's more than enough. The speeds recommended are greatly exaggerated. Now, if you have three teenagers it may present a problem but our family of three have never had any speed issues. At any given time there are 2 TVs, a tablet and a phone going. Last Thanksgiving I had 4 TVs going at once with no issue.

Any idea why I'm still getting massive buffering on most of my FireTV Apps with 25Mbps then? I'm going to have to cancel Disney+ because it's absolutely unwatchable with all other wifi devices turned off and that being the only device using it.

Is there something else I can do to improve performance? I'm in an area where 25Mbps is the fastest service I can get.

DeuceBoogieNights

Any idea why I'm still getting massive buffering on most of my FireTV Apps with 25Mbps then? I'm going to have to cancel Disney+ because it's absolutely unwatchable with all other wifi devices turned off and that being the only device using it.

Is there something else I can do to improve performance? I'm in an area where 25Mbps is the fastest service I can get.

Can you hardwire it and not use wifi? I know there are adapters for the firestick. Or, some wifi extenders? How old is your wireless router? Are you using a modem/router combo or are they seperate?

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.

Sounds like a latency problem. Look into changing your WiFi channel.

Atomic Frawg

My TV has a hard drive on it that store cookies and has a cache. Every now and then I tell it to clear the cache, this freeing up more memory. This may be something to consider.

Jet Set Frog

Can you hardwire it and not use wifi? I know there are adapters for the firestick. Or, some wifi extenders? How old is your wireless router? Are you using a modem/router combo or are they seperate?

The wireless router (not a modem) is only about a year old, and we have it sitting right next to the fire tv cube. This is a first gen cube so I can’t hard wire the connection.

Jet Set Frog

My TV has a hard drive on it that store cookies and has a cache. Every now and then I tell it to clear the cache, this freeing up more memory. This may be something to consider.

I’ve gone through and hard closed all the apps, restarted the cube, cleared all the caches....it’s maddening. These same apps stream fine on my phone on the same WiFi, so the problem may be with the cube itself and not the WiFi.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I’ll give that a shot. att just came out to give us the upgrade to 25Mbps so I’d hope they’d check for that while here, but perhaps I’m giving them too much credit.
If you’re close enough to a crossbox you could ask for the unadvertised bonded pair which would double your speed.