• The KillerFrogs

Horned Frog Basketball v OU

Francis Xav

And when they don’t you just say c’est la vie and take the loss? Lots of predictable failure when the reliance is on what people “should” do. And even more so when they show no inclination of doing what they “should” be doing.
There are a million things that can go wrong. I just cant believe the board. We came back and beat baylor in a semi similar fashion.

7 wins this year is still a mini miracle

Rose Bowl

Being as you say “a frog” doesn’t mean you have to check your intelligence and knowledge of history at the door. This game had everything in it that represents the nature and character of this team: poor free throw shooting, inexplicable help and helpless defense, disappearing superstar, bad clock math, career night for an opposing player and possibly more than that. Being sick because of this outcome is similar to being sick at a dog that barks or that it’s humid in Houston. Sometimes you gotta just say...”yep...that’s who we are”.

So what you’re saying is history is why we lost this game. The “it’s who we are “ defense is always played by those who have little/no interest in the program. What you’re really saying is that you believe we will never be any good because of history. There are so many people on this board that only cheer for the basketball team when it’s winning but complain for all to hear when it’s not. I have a different definition of what being a fan is. Winning or losing doesn’t have any bearing on whether I cheer for someone.

Francis Xav

I just have to share my thoughts...IDC who cares or agrees but I have been thinking about this awhile.

First off, The crowd was a bit pathetic for senior day, or at least sounded it. Lots of empty seats. If you're going to complain about coach or our team or whatever, then not show, you don't care. You're just an internet warrior.

Second...It is crazy how some people think we are even in the same depths of H*** that we were for 30 years prior. Jamie has done better than any coach we've had so far, in the toughest conference we've ever been in.

Third...of course there are criticisms..but all in all, this year was a vast improvement. It is funny..before the season most expected much worse and were "ok" with it. Nobody was calling for Dixons head. Yes, yesterday was a head scratcher, and we lost a few close games this year, but we could have won 2-3 more if a ball or in yesterday's case, a call went our way. That 4 point play did us in. It was horrible.

We made the tourney in his second year for the first time in 20 or so years. His first year, a phantom call on fisher against WVU may have been the difference. Last year, we were playing like a top 10 team for the first half. Then stuff went downhill. I don' t think anyone can predict Fisher, Noi and Kendric just deciding not to go to class. Some kids just suck. Yea, sometimes you know and decide not to recruit, but when you're trying to elevate a program, you gotta take risks.

They just didn't pan out.

We expected 3 wins. We got 7. We beat more top 25 teams in one season than ever before. Before you all melt down, chill. Yeah, Id say if next year sucks, He is on the hot seat going into the year after. We better show improvement of course, like we did this year. Our depth should be significantly improved.

From his days at Pitt, they always seemed to play well when they had their backs against a wall.

Rant over.

Pharm Frog

So what you’re saying is history is why we lost this game. The “it’s who we are “ defense is always played by those who have little/no interest in the program. What you’re really saying is that you believe we will never be any good because of history. There are so many people on this board that only cheer for the basketball team when it’s winning but complain for all to hear when it’s not. I have a different definition of what being a fan is. Winning or losing doesn’t have any bearing on whether I cheer for someone.

Awarding you the benefit of the doubt that you didn’t understand that the “history” of which I spoke was purely the “history” of THIS team (as in THIS season with THIS personnel). I wanted the Frogs to win although I admit that I was not in a location where I could cheer out loud. But thanks for telling me what I’m “really saying”.

Francis Xav

Awarding you the benefit of the doubt that you didn’t understand that the “history” of which I spoke was purely the “history” of THIS team (as in THIS season with THIS personnel). I wanted the Frogs to win although I admit that I was not in a location where I could cheer out loud. But thanks for telling me what I’m “really saying”.
This history of this current squad is we put together a makeshift roster, have some good young players, and won much more than expected. Also, your thoughts were not even on my mind writing that. Why do you feel called out?

Pharm Frog

This history of this current squad is we put together a makeshift roster, have some good young players, and won much more than expected. Also, your thoughts were not even on my mind writing that. Why do you feel called out?

My response was not to your post. And I might add that I’ve been among the most moderate voices on here about the performance of this team and the coaching. Going as far a few games ago (after a loss) to liken CJD to a miracle worker with this collection of players.

My main critiques have been: 1) that we have not acquired basketball “players” and are overly reliant on athleticism, and 2) that we do not appear to have anywhere close to the “type” of athletes that CJD has coached in what was his preferred style of play.

Wexahu

I just have to share my thoughts...IDC who cares or agrees but I have been thinking about this awhile.

First off, The crowd was a bit pathetic for senior day, or at least sounded it. Lots of empty seats. If you're going to complain about coach or our team or whatever, then not show, you don't care. You're just an internet warrior.

Second...It is crazy how some people think we are even in the same depths of H*** that we were for 30 years prior. Jamie has done better than any coach we've had so far, in the toughest conference we've ever been in.

Third...of course there are criticisms..but all in all, this year was a vast improvement. It is funny..before the season most expected much worse and were "ok" with it. Nobody was calling for Dixons head. Yes, yesterday was a head scratcher, and we lost a few close games this year, but we could have won 2-3 more if a ball or in yesterday's case, a call went our way. That 4 point play did us in. It was horrible.

We made the tourney in his second year for the first time in 20 or so years. His first year, a phantom call on fisher against WVU may have been the difference. Last year, we were playing like a top 10 team for the first half. Then stuff went downhill. I don' t think anyone can predict Fisher, Noi and Kendric just deciding not to go to class. Some kids just suck. Yea, sometimes you know and decide not to recruit, but when you're trying to elevate a program, you gotta take risks.

They just didn't pan out.

We expected 3 wins. We got 7. We beat more top 25 teams in one season than ever before. Before you all melt down, chill. Yeah, Id say if next year sucks, He is on the hot seat going into the year after. We better show improvement of course, like we did this year. Our depth should be significantly improved.

From his days at Pitt, they always seemed to play well when they had their backs against a wall.

The other thing is, in a world where Kansas and UNC and Duke and others can literally get away with paying their players to attend , what do you all expect? For those complaining about money we pay coaches, well, that's the name of the game..you want to get good? Pull out the oil money you all must have and pay some dang players...

Rant over.

It's not so much what we've done in the past 4 years, it's the overall direction of the program. Yes, we somehow won 7 conference games this year with a makeshift roster (massively helped by a very subpar B12 this year) but seniors accounted for 47% of the scoring and to honest, what is coming back next year doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence, especially when compared to who everyone else has coming back in the conference.

The excitement that this was an up and coming program from 2-3 years ago is basically completely gone. JD tipped his hand by jacking around with UCLA last year for 3-4 days that resulted in this weird situation where it almost seemed like we forced him back....that just isn't going to be easy to recover from. And then on top of that there's just been a bunch of bad basketball.

Francis Xav

It's not so much what we've done in the past 4 years, it's the overall direction of the program. Yes, we somehow won 7 conference games this year with a makeshift roster (massively helped by a very subpar B12 this year) but seniors accounted for 47% of the scoring and to honest, what is coming back next year doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence, especially when compared to who everyone else has coming back in the conference.

The excitement that this was an up and coming program from 2-3 years ago is basically completely gone. JD tipped his hand by jacking around with UCLA last year for 3-4 days that resulted in this weird situation where it almost seemed like we forced him back....that just isn't going to be easy to recover from. And then on top of that there's just been a bunch of bad basketball.
Excitement and despair are only emotions. Building a program is a time consuming process.

Wexahu

Excitement and despair are only emotions. Building a program is a time consuming process.

Emotions don’t just materialize from nothing. It’s important for people to be excited about the program. How many years does it take to build a basketball program anyway? We only gave Trent Johnson 4 years and we made him coach in a high school gym. Did we not give him a chance to build the program?

tetonfrog

Personally, I want to see if last year's defections are a blip in the radar or the new norm for us. The offseason will tell us the direction we are headed. We have a nice group of young players to build around and I can't wait to see them improve in the future. Having a real PG next year is going to help us on offense and get us better shots.

This year was a more disappointing season than last year's fade. And, if we had a PG, then we win more games and maybe don't blow two or three of games like OU. It is puzzling to me that a lot of guys blame JD for running off guys like KD but then praise GP's tough love approach when it comes to schoolwork. It is a double standard and it not fair.

In fact, I believe the root of our fan base's grumpiness is that our football team has slipped. If you had told me we would win 24, 21, 24 games in hoops and then dip to 16-15 with three wins over top 10 teams at home, then I would have been thrilled.

Now, if the team tanks next year like some people think it will, then JD should be on the hot seat.

flyfishingfrog

What good young players? I watched the team all year and saw some guys who were at best fringe contributors and no one that showed much of a prospect of taking over as a leader even as the season progressed

if you look back at our past leaders and on other teams - they tend to show flashes of greatness from Day 1 but are inconsistent when they are young

we didn’t have that this year

Eight

How does feeling like we grasped defeat from the jaws of victory make you more of a Frog? I’ll say it again if this game didn’t make you sick then it’s you who isn’t a Frog.

i thought my diploma made me a frog, but yet another thing i have wrong

enjoy watching the frogs, enjoy talking/posting about them, but i have never been sick, heart broken, or dismayed about a loss or team performance

guess i don't have frog factor as i am not upset or surprised by the manner of the loss. didn't expect it, but we have seen this story before this very season

Rose Bowl

Giving you the benefit of the doubt the history of this team was always going to be flawed. This was not a roster that was going to be able to contend for any championship. I’m not saying you were one of the people who didn’t have any perspective and way to high expectations but there were many. One season where we are not as good as we wanted out of four years isn’t horrible IMO.

Building a program is a lot harder to do than most people believe. CJD is about 30% of the way with the program building in my estimation. Winning games will always be important but getting people to buy in is also very important and we really lack this at the present time. It takes time to get people connected and willing to give their money and time. When more people are invested in the program then we’ll sellout the Scholl every or nearly every game which will make a huge difference.

Last thing I’ll say is that it could be worse.

Wexahu

CJD is about 30% of the way with the program building in my estimation. Winning games will always be important but getting people to buy in is also very important and we really lack this at the present time.

If he's only 30% into a rebuild 4 full years into his tenure than he is failing at his job. And getting people to buy in is hard when they see the kind of basketball we play on way too regular a basis. At this point I think a lot more people would "buy in" if we went another direction. We saw how "bought in" JD is to TCU when he tried to circumvent or otherwise reduce the buyout in his contract last year.

And as far as it taking time to get people connected and willing to put in the money, that mostly happened before JD got here, and he personally has probably benefited most from that investment in the program.

Rose Bowl

i thought my diploma made me a frog, but yet another thing i have wrong

enjoy watching the frogs, enjoy talking/posting about them, but i have never been sick, heart broken, or dismayed about a loss or team performance

guess i don't have frog factor as i am not upset or surprised by the manner of the loss. didn't expect it, but we have seen this story before this very season

Eight, I respect your opinion. For me I’m all in, that’s the only way I know to be a fan, and I felt just the same way after we lost to WVU to keep us from going to a bowl. Games like Saturday are a kick in the stomach and will always be for me. I’m not sorry for being that kind of fan.

MTfrog5

Having this kid come in will help a lot. Think having Bello come off the bench and use Miles at the 2 similar to how they’d use Fisher and Arob is also an option at times. Miles looks like the PG Dixon wants in this current offense.