• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Bengals could trade Andy Dalton to recent Super Bowl winner

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Bengals could trade Andy Dalton to recent Super Bowl winner

ByNick Kosko

The Cincinnati Bengals expect to go in a new direction at the quarterback position in 2020. In April’s NFL Draft, the Bengals hold the No. 1 overall pick and all signs point to Cincinnati taking LSU quarterback Joe Burrow to become the new face of the franchise.

The question remains: what do the Bengals do with former TCU and longtime quarterback Andy Dalton? Dalton was drafted by the Bengals in 2011 in the 2nd round (35th overall pick).

A trade remains a realistic option for the Bengals and they could ship Dalton to a recent Super Bowl winner.

Read more at https://247sports.com/Article/Andy-...ogs-New-England-Patriots-Tom-Brady-144628319/

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
That's been the rumor for some time now. As to "trading" him, I thought that Dalton's contract had run it's course and he was a free agent, but I do not pay attention that closely to the NFL anymore...

Zubaz

That's been the rumor for some time now. As to "trading" him, I thought that Dalton's contract had run it's course and he was a free agent, but I do not pay attention that closely to the NFL anymore...
He has a year left before free agency, but with the Bengals almost assuredly taking Burrow as the 1st overall pick the most likely option is to trade Dalton somewhere.

Wexahu

He has a year left before free agency, but with the Bengals almost assuredly taking Burrow as the 1st overall pick the most likely option is to trade Dalton somewhere.

Plus there is no dead money if they cut him since all his guaranteed money has already been paid. He's 100% leaving the Bengals, not sure why they don't just cut him and let him become a free agent. Can't imagine anyone is going to trade and pay him anything close to his $17.7M contract number.

BrewingFrog

And, in the grand style of the Bungles, they have no real options other than 1.) Trade him, or 2.) Pay him to hold a clipboard and laugh while the New Guy gets shoved into the meat grinder. Every other team knows this, and will offer little in compensation.

In a way, I hope he does get to New England. Belichick has a good organization, and Dalton would have protection for the first time in a number of years. He would also have several receivers who can catch.

Tumbleweed

Going a new direction so says the Bengal owner. Now that will be fun to watch. Don't think AD will be around the Bengals long and I hear Andy would like to work with a different team. I'll be following this one close.

I don't see Brady going back to Pats. Many of you scoff at Brady and Dallas but I don't. That would make a media/fan frenzy. Seats sales are sluggish with Dallas and Jerry has become the butt end of jokes and so forth. ALL of that would go away the day Brady - Dallas contract is signed. Would D keep Prescott too? No, think they trade him in a heart beat, and that's when Andy comes into the picture with Dallas as a back-up and Andy would become 21 again in enthusiasm. The offensive line in Dallas is equal to any and that makes Brady smile.

Wexahu

And, in the grand style of the Bungles, they have no real options other than 1.) Trade him, or 2.) Pay him to hold a clipboard and laugh while the New Guy gets shoved into the meat grinder. Every other team knows this, and will offer little in compensation.

In a way, I hope he does get to New England. Belichick has a good organization, and Dalton would have protection for the first time in a number of years. He would also have several receivers who can catch.

I'm not sure you understand how this works. The Bengals are actually in an enviable situation in that they can cut a starting QB who they probably want to move on from anyway and have a $0 dead money cap hit. The stupid teams are those that sign guys to 5-year/$90M contracts and then cut the guy 2 years later.

AD has made over $83M playing pro football, the idea that his career was ruined by the Bengals is ridiculous.

BrewingFrog

My! Aren't you a clever fellow for putting words into other's mouths!

Don't you have a portrait of Urban Meyer to go and be alone with?

TRF51

I hope he gets a chance to start wherever he goes. He did all he could with the team he was on these last couple of years.

Purp

Going a new direction so says the Bengal owner. Now that will be fun to watch. Don't think AD will be around the Bengals long and I hear Andy would like to work with a different team. I'll be following this one close.

I don't see Brady going back to Pats. Many of you scoff at Brady and Dallas but I don't. That would make a media/fan frenzy. Seats sales are sluggish with Dallas and Jerry has become the butt end of jokes and so forth. ALL of that would go away the day Brady - Dallas contract is signed. Would D keep Prescott too? No, think they trade him in a heart beat, and that's when Andy comes into the picture with Dallas as a back-up and Andy would become 21 again in enthusiasm. The offensive line in Dallas is equal to any and that makes Brady smile.
Ticket sales for the Cowboys aren't sluggish at all.

I'm also not sure if you're proposing AD to Dallas, Tom Brady to Dallas, or both. I'll tell you Tom Brady to Dallas would not be the bonanza you think and I'd bet more criticism would go to Dallas were they to sign Brady than if they signed Prescott to a long term deal.

CryptoMiner

Plus there is no dead money if they cut him since all his guaranteed money has already been paid. He's 100% leaving the Bengals, not sure why they don't just cut him and let him become a free agent. Can't imagine anyone is going to trade and pay him anything close to his $17.7M contract number.

Estimated market value is $24.73 mill per year so current contract is below market and obviously attractive.

Last edited:

CryptoMiner

They can't trade Dak, they have barely over a week to sign him and no way would he sign a deal that has potential trade if he is a FA that soon. Cowboys either sign, make him Franchise or let him walk.

CBA deal making this even more difficult. Most likely they apply the Franchise if no deal is made this week.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Estimated market value is $24.73 mill per year so current contract is below market and obviously attractive.

I'll believe it when I see it as far as his market value being $24.73M. Maybe contracts have gotten so ridiculous that that is true but I doubt it.