• The KillerFrogs

PurpleMenace: Patterson talks first practice, waxes on Transfer Portal

Froggish

picking up the tempo is nice, far better than standing at the line of scrimmage watching the play clock run down, and the defense start to get the edge on anticipating the snap, but going fast is not a sustainable solution to poor offensive execution.
100% Agree....Tempo is a weapon not foundation. You need to be able to effectively go at blistering speeds and and achingly slow when necessary.

CountryFrog

so am i getting from you recruiting matters?

part of what lsu did in their secondary worked because lsu's defensive line whipped their offensive line and i am not sure the frogs defensive front is at a point where they can go toe to toe with the sooners offensive line.
Nah, just do what LSU did. Plug in the tape and get it done. No excuses. OU will probably go 0-9 in the conference next year if everyone in the B12 would just man up and play the way LSU does.

flyfishingfrog

Pretty big shot a Reag here...IMO...

But not sure what an athlete is supposed to do once he declares for the draft or is outta eligibility?? You can't just hang around and train with the team and the coaches. Doesn't sound NCAA legal on a bunch of levels...much less practical for a staff to spend time on dudes not on the team anymore.
we have former players come back and work out with our teams and in our facilities during the offseason all the time.

Hang around Lupton in the offseason and you see more former players than you do members of our current team.

tcudoc

Ever seen one of those parents that have the kid leash so they can’t run in to traffic or take off in crowds..That would be hilarious.
meyers.gif

4th. down

so am i getting from you recruiting matters?

part of what lsu did in their secondary worked because lsu's defensive line whipped their offensive line and i am not sure the frogs defensive front is at a point where they can go toe to toe with the sooners offensive line.

Not yet at least but believe it's on the way with our young, talented, and strong frogs. We are probably 1- 2 years away from handling the OU defensive line but we can still beat them when they come to
picking up the tempo is nice, far better than standing at the line of scrimmage watching the play clock run down, and the defense start to get the edge on anticipating the snap, but going fast is not a sustainable solution to poor offensive execution.

God, I hate that above all else and there's plenty else offensively speaking. We are in a hurry up and the Qb stops, gets everyone lined up, looks to the sideline for the play, upstairs sends the play down to Sonny, he accepts or rejects it and then hand signals out to the QB, all the while 10 sec. plus has passed, and the defense resets - it's really too stupid to be real but we do it.

Wexahu

Not yet at least but believe it's on the way with our young, talented, and strong frogs. We are probably 1- 2 years away from handling the OU defensive line but we can still beat them when they come to

God, I hate that above all else and there's plenty else offensively speaking. We are in a hurry up and the Qb stops, gets everyone lined up, looks to the sideline for the play, upstairs sends the play down to Sonny, he accepts or rejects it and then hand signals out to the QB, all the while 10 sec. plus has passed, and the defense resets - it's really too stupid to be real but we do it.

I know offensive lineman love holding a 3-point stance for 10+ seconds, so you have to take that into consideration too.

Eight

i think the pieces are there for the offensive line and the key to me is in the interior line. the frogs have had struggles between the tackles the past few seasons and it has hurt them in the run game and pass protection.

frogs have 5-6 guys who project to being inside guys who have 3+ years in the system. time for some of those guys to start pushing for time if not staking claim to a position.

defensively i am curious if we see the frogs play more 3-man fronts with some of the defensive tackles playing a true 5 technique.

still worried about defensive end and what gets forgotten about that ou game is the sooners ran for 350+ yards and almost 6 yards a rush.

Froggish

The problem is nothing happens after that 10 second call. You'll notice a lot of teams are doing the same thing but they are pre-snap motioning and shifting formations in that last 10 seconds before the snap. This allows them to milk the clock but still keep the opposing defense from getting set properly and keeps the defense reactionary. Seems so simple but we never even tried it....The sheer volume of offensive stupidity that went on last year was over the top. Its really no wonder why we didn't make a bowl.

Wexahu

The problem is nothing happens after that 10 second call. You'll notice a lot of teams are doing the same thing but they are pre-snap motioning and shifting formations in that last 10 seconds before the snap. This allows them to milk the clock but still keep the opposing defense from getting set properly and keeps the defense reactionary. Seems so simple but we never even tried it....The sheer volume of offensive stupidity that went on last year was over the top. Its really no wonder why we didn't make a bowl.

I'd love to hear a coaches argument against sending in a play from the sideline, huddling, breaking the huddle and running to formation, and snapping the ball relatively quickly. In this day and age that would royally mess with most defensive coaches, I'm not sure they'd know what the hell to do. They wouldn't know how you are going to line up, who is going to line up where, etc etc. Imagine that.

As an offense make the defense react to what you do, and make them react on the fly. I still maintain that the longer the offense and defense stand there looking at each other, the bigger advantage the defense has. So why not completely eliminate that advantage?

4th. down

I'd love to hear a coaches argument against sending in a play from the sideline, huddling, breaking the huddle and running to formation, and snapping the ball relatively quickly. In this day and age that would royally mess with most defensive coaches, I'm not sure they'd know what the hell to do. They wouldn't know how you are going to line up, who is going to line up where, etc etc. Imagine that.

As an offense make the defense react to what you do, and make them react on the fly. I still maintain that the longer the offense and defense stand there looking at each other, the bigger advantage the defense has. So why not completely eliminate that advantage?

THIS is what I've been hoping for that Kill will do, ie - for 3 1/2 quarters, Mahomes was getting the plays from the sideline, kinda doing what we've been doing, in the Super Bowl (KC down 20-17) and then went to the old style circle huddle where the QB is looking directly into the players eyes as he calls the plays that are detailed on his forearm. What happened, Kansas City blew them out. What happened, we don't know, it's only what we see, but I believe Mahomes got real personal with them in that huddle and then they exploded.

Billy Clyde

Such a great point- I seriously wonder if any offensive coach in CFB, anywhere, has asked, "Hey, I wonder what is lost by not huddling?" I can remember a LOT of communication going on about which player has which advantage over the guy across the line, which player might be hurting and needs a little help, what to get a teammate for a wedding present, whose eyelids are jammed, where to get a live rooster to sacrifice. . . I weep for what's been lost.

Paint It Purple

Such a great point- I seriously wonder if any offensive coach in CFB, anywhere, has asked, "Hey, I wonder what is lost by not huddling?" I can remember a LOT of communication going on about which player has which advantage over the guy across the line, which player might be hurting and needs a little help, what to get a teammate for a wedding present, whose eyelids are jammed, where to get a live rooster to sacrifice. . . I weep for what's been lost.
The year is still young, but this is Pulitzer material

If he coached like he was always behind, he would never take his foot off the gas. Too many leads have been lost in the 3rd and 4th quarter when Gary got conservative.

Seems to be a case of, "Do as I say, not as I do..."
The only two gripes are that GP never seems to want to run up the score (old Tech game is the exception) And seems oto have his team play toi win by 1 point LOL and running the vanilla offense in tune up games. Relative to the latter, IMO it allows are starters to practice the entire offense in those games and makes future opponents have to prepare for more. I have noticed that our offense has more problems in running the full offense then opponents have adjusting to it.

4th. down

The only two gripes are that GP never seems to want to run up the score (old Tech game is the exception) And seems oto have his team play toi win by 1 point LOL and running the vanilla offense in tune up games. Relative to the latter, IMO it allows are starters to practice the entire offense in those games and makes future opponents have to prepare for more. I have noticed that our offense has more problems in running the full offense then opponents have adjusting to it.

Obviously OU is the big dog in the Big 12 and probably will continue to be as long as Riley is there. Observing OU's offensive plays vs ours is almost night and day different. Riley is doing all types of misdirection, pulling a guard going the opposite way of the rest of the offensive line off of a counter and I mean it just goes on and on.

I would not expect Kill to bring anything out like a Riley offense but more of a disciplined methodical nature which I think is good for 8-4 and that's probably ok too with GP. The brief consideration of Marion's GoGo offense was just too much for GP.

texas_sicilian

This. We have no philosophical issue with stuffing an opponent to 0 points, but somehow it’s an anethema that we actually go for the jugular on offense. We have to be okay with being aggressive on both sides, full stop.