• The KillerFrogs

Blast from the past

tcumaniac

You understate my friend perhaps because you don’t like the man. Gary built it but CDC closed it. He laid the ground work with other conference officials, but I don’t think it would have happened without the perfectly timed cold call, one day before the Big 12 AD’s conference call. Actually CDC had been closing them one by one, but only Deloss mattered. Dodds had never given a rats arse about TCU all through his run. Big things often happen suddenly. The man is a closer if nothing else.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...enerable-ad-to-thank-for-being-in-big-12/amp/

Your link essentially elaborates on the exact story I summed up in my post. There's no proof how much influence Del Conte actually had. I'm thankful with the end result, and CDC certainly deserves credit, but I don't think it's fair to act as if without Chris Del Conte, TCU doesn't get invited to the Big 12. It was the perfect storm and TCU made more sense than any school in the country.

FWIW, I liked CDC a lot. He knew me personally and gave me (a student at the time) more time of day than I ever deserved. I'll just never get over how short sighted the design of the new stadium was and how irreversible the mistake was, especially considering that there were plenty of people in his ear pointing out the inherent, common sense flaws long before it became too late.

Eight

As I look at today's lower bowel, I can see that it is riddled with polyps, corn, diverticuli, opposing team's fans, and anal fissures.

giphy.gif

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Your link essentially elaborates on the exact story I summed up in my post. There's no proof how much influence Del Conte actually had. I'm thankful with the end result, and CDC certainly deserves credit, but I don't think it's fair to act as if without Chris Del Conte, TCU doesn't get invited to the Big 12. It was the perfect storm and TCU made more sense than any school in the country.

FWIW, I liked CDC a lot. He knew me personally and gave me (a student at the time) more time of day than I ever deserved. I'll just never get over how short sighted the design of the new stadium was and how irreversible the mistake was, especially considering that there were plenty of people in his ear pointing out the inherent, common sense flaws long before it became too late.
We can all agree that without GMFP there would have been nothing anybody could have done.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs

Sitting with my Pop at the hospital so I have time to beat a dead horse !
First, I love your passion for the Frogs. I have had it for a lifetime myself beginning when I met Davey O’Brien when I was 10 years old at my first in person Frog game. Since you said “There's no proof how much influence Del Conte actually had“, I point out some quotes from the story. Pretty good circumstantial evidence, some (Deloss and Castiglione) might even call it proof.

”All right, Del,” Dodds said referring to how he come to know the Horned Frogs’ AD, “let them have the story, my man.”
“It is the story of why TCU is in the Big 12, in the big time.”
“He (CDC) worked the phones, calling every Big 12 contact he knew. Support within the Big 12 was growing, including at Oklahoma where good friend Joe Castiglione had been encouraging. But Del Conte knew if he didn’t have Texas, he didn’t have a chance.”
”The next morning I got up. Joe [Castiglione] goes, ‘I don’t know what you did but it worked.’ We got the vote. The Frogs are in.”

C’mon Maniac ! Why not believe DeLoss, and Castiglione! I firmly believe without the cold call WV and Louisville would have been in. DeLoss was the power and he didn’t even know or care who CDC was before that . TCU was still Rice or SMU to Dodds no matter what the recent past was. Certainly Dodds had received positive feedback from OU and OSU on TCU as a candidate, but CDC got to him on a personal level and he caved. DeLoss had been ignoring us completely for 30 years.
As someone with a long institutional memory, I am not sure what your beef is with the stadium. We don’t have a state school fanbase, but we do have an affluent one. I am a displaced lower level fan now in Section 302. I accept that we will never be zombie fans told what color to wear and when to be there. Our niche is having the best in stadium country club party, the best Showgirls, the best mascot, and the best Coach/Team. The stadium is built to maximize revenue. I wish we had enough fans to eliminate the plus 4s and buy all of the Stubhubs, but we don’t. TCU does quality, not quantity. Embrace it.