• The KillerFrogs

Blast from the past

thefrogking

Several years back I produced some music videos on a shoestring budget for Christian recording artist Edward John. He is a friend and lives in Norway. TCU was kind enough to let us shoot one of the videos at no cost at the top of the old Amon G Carter stadium. If you watch it all the way through you may see some angles of the stadium that you had forgotten about.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Memory lane of the old Amon Carter Mile High Club circa 1979. We certainly used to get High on Love (and other things) in the deserted upper deck on weekday afternoons....Allegedly.

tcumaniac

ACS2.jpg

1340x1020.jpg

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There was a phone hooked up in the old pressbox, probably the AP line, that was on all through the off-season. Some kids would work their way in to the place and call home from time to time...

tcumaniac

I still can’t look at the old lower level and figure out how we ended up with today’s lower bowel.
Most moronic and shortsighted decision in the history of TCU athletics.

And it’s not like people didn’t vocalize their concern. CDC, who had been around for about 5 seconds, gave everyone that wasn’t a large donor the middle finger and told them to go pound sand. Screw that guy.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Most moronic and shortsighted decision in the history of TCU athletics.

And it’s not like people didn’t vocalize their concern. CDC, who had been around for about 5 seconds, gave everyone that wasn’t a large donor the middle finger and told them to go pound sand. Screw that guy.
He did close the deal that got TCU in the B12. It might have been Louisville and WV otherwise. You gotta give him that. CDC got credit for a lot of things that were already underway, but cold calling Dodds and closing him was one of the biggest moments in all of TCU history.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Not enough fiber.
Some years ago, Mrs. Brewingfrog had the TV on one of the imbecile Network morning shows. I happened to wander in as they were interviewing Tommy Chong on the event of his 60th birthday. Chong was asked, "So, you're 60 now. What has changed for you, and what are the important things in your life now?"

"Oh, fiber, man..."

tcumaniac

He did close the deal that got TCU in the B12. It might have been Louisville and WV otherwise. You gotta give him that. CDC got credit for a lot of things that were already underway, but cold calling Dodds and closing him was one of the biggest moments in all of TCU history.

Fair point. And to that, he'll always deserve at least partial credit for that. But we’ll never truly know how much of that was CDC and how much of that was luck.

The way the story goes, CDC showed up with a huge binder to pitch TCU to DeLoss Dodds and sat outside of his office all day. DeLoss finally comes out of his office at 3:30 and thinks his name is Del. Invites him to have drinks and discuss it further. Who knows what was discussed, but it's known that DeLoss never once opened a binder and took a look at what Del Conte was prepared to share. His mind was already made up. Was his mind already made up before his afternoon drink outing with Del Conte? Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, DeLoss votes in favor of adding TCU the next day. We'll never know how much of that was Del Conte. Just as it isn't fair to say he deserves no credit, I also don't think it's fair to say he deserves all the credit.

No matter, the west side lower bowl was an irreversible and unforgivable disaster of a decision.

tcumaniac

CDC promised me years ago that TCU would be painted on the upper deck months after the new stadium opened... still waiting.
You have some photoshop skills right?

Photoshop a picture of the new stadium with the TCU on the upper deck and I'll tweet it to Donati and see what his take is on the situation.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Fair point. And to that, he'll always deserve at least partial credit for that. But we’ll never truly know how much of that was CDC and how much of that was luck.

The way the story goes, CDC showed up with a huge binder to pitch TCU to DeLoss Dodds and sat outside of his office all day. DeLoss finally comes out of his office at 3:30 and thinks his name is Del. Invites him to have drinks and discuss it further. Who knows what was discussed, but it's known that DeLoss never once opened a binder and took a look at what Del Conte was prepared to share. His mind was already made up. Was his mind already made up before his afternoon drink outing with Del Conte? Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, DeLoss votes in favor of adding TCU the next day. We'll never know how much of that was Del Conte. Just as it isn't fair to say he deserves no credit, I also don't think it's fair to say he deserves all the credit.

No matter, the west side lower bowl was an irreversible and unforgivable disaster of a decision.
You understate my friend perhaps because you don’t like the man. Gary built it but CDC closed it. He laid the ground work with other conference officials, but I don’t think it would have happened without the perfectly timed cold call, one day before the Big 12 AD’s conference call. Actually CDC had been closing them one by one, but only Deloss mattered. Dodds had never given a rats arse about TCU all through his run. Big things often happen suddenly. The man is a closer if nothing else.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...enerable-ad-to-thank-for-being-in-big-12/amp/