• The KillerFrogs

Time to fess up. How many parking tix did you (or someone you know) get while at TCU???

narly1

What’s the going rate these days for a tickets?

https://police.tcu.edu/parking-transportation/student-parking-regulations/#fines

Most are $50 today with a couple of exceptions - Fire Lane and Handicap space.
The biggies are not moving your car for football games as those get a TCU ticket and a tow which costs minimum $200 plus the weird fees that tow companies seem to pile on.

I remember getting called out by a TCU officer for parking in the quads for longer than the posted 30 minutes by the old Student Center, but let me off without a ticket after I gave her my grilled cheese from the Pit.

As someone who has done a tour on the Traffic Appeals Committee I can tell you some humdinger stories kids tell for why they parked there.

Double V

My Junior year, [someone I knew] bought a motorcycle from [his] older brother. [He] rode that thing to class everyday, and would park it RIGHT by the front door of whatever bldg [his] class was in. Got a ticket (or 3) just about every single day. Some days, [He]'d pull an old ticket out of [his] backpack and put it under the windscreen so [he] wouldn't get another that day. Sometimes that worked, sometimes it didn't. Since [his] brother had attended TCU as well, the bike had an expired TCU parking sticker and was registered in his brother's name in their system when the TCU cops ran the plates. His brother had already graduated, so there was no risk of any negative repercussions for him. When [he] graduated and was packing up [his] stuff to move out of [his] house, [he] had a stack of tickets that was at least 4 inches high. [He] never counted them, but there must have been a couple hundred.

Attachments

• Right side.jpg
    Right side.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Pharm Frog

I don't find much humor in this at all. In fact, I've spent a lot of my time recently vetting potential employees for their attention to details and respect for laws/rules and personal accountability. If you aren't disciplined in the "small" stuff it calls into question how disciplined you may be in more important stuff when the pressure's on. Who knows? Maybe you'll get nailed for needlessly targeting a QB in a crucial spot in a game when a bowl game is on the line. There's a reason that the Raiders used some of their precious minutes asking about minutiae like this.

Shorty

Zero tickets. I forgot and let my car parked outside of Moncrief next to Milton overnight one time and was sweating walking to the car but I got away with it.

My roommate never had a parking pass and the car wasn't registered to him so the parking tickets weren't counting against him. He parked in a spot that wasn't a spot whenever he needed to. I think they eventually towed his car once. Never paid the tickets though.

MTfrog5

My Junior year, I bought a motorcycle from my older brother. I rode that thing to class everyday, and would park it RIGHT by the front door of whatever bldg my class was in. Got a ticket (or 3) just about every single day. Some days, I'd pull an old ticket out of my backpack and put it under the windscreen so I wouldn't get another that day. Sometimes that worked, sometimes it didn't. Since my brother had attended TCU as well, the bike had an expired TCU parking sticker and was registered in his name in their system when the TCU cops ran the plates. He had already graduated, so there was no risk of any negative repercussions for him. When I graduated and was packing up my stuff to move out of my house, I had a stack of tickets that was at least 4 inches high. I never counted them, but there must have been a couple hundred.
@RollToad wants lessons on riding a bike

Double V

I don't find much humor in this at all. In fact, I've spent a lot of my time recently vetting potential employees for their attention to details and respect for laws/rules and personal accountability. If you aren't disciplined in the "small" stuff it calls into question how disciplined you may be in more important stuff when the pressure's on. Who knows? Maybe you'll get nailed for needlessly targeting a QB in a crucial spot in a game when a bowl game is on the line. There's a reason that the Raiders used some of their precious minutes asking about minutiae like this.
You award zero points for creative problem-solving solutions?

Eight

this is the organization that signed vontaze burfict so i doubt parking tickets are a big issue for them

hiphopfroggy

There was a spot in the old main parking lot, just in front of the student center entrance that was an elevated curb. It was a slab about 20 x 10. I parked on that curb for 2 semesters before other students started doing it as well, then the tix came pouring down. That was when I began carrying orange cones in my car. Magic.

Pharm Frog

You award zero points for creative problem-solving solutions?

I award negative points for lack of personal accountability and cavalier attitudes toward rules and regulations. Here's the creative solution -- if you don't want to park according to regulations, walk to campus. Award even more negative points for those who appear to think that they are more important than others because of who they are. Have more than a handful of former colleagues who wish they'd have learned that before losing their jobs, in a couple of cases their freedom for a while, and a not insignificant amount of money.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Sort of related, but during the time I was an undergrad, the Campus Cops had 2 patrol cars. One was whatever the cheapest Chevrolet was, back then, donated by Jack Williams Chevrolet. The other was a Mustang fastback, donated by Charlie Hillard Ford. Both were painted a sort of lavender/purple and had a Horned Frog painted on the sides, which looked like some undergrad from the art department had done. At night, they provided a quiet spot for said Campus Cop to sleep for quite a long time. Because they were sedans, and we were young and athletic, a guy could get a running start, jump, and run right up the trunk, over the top, down the hood, and be gone before the befuddled occupant could draw his pistola. I'll bet it was really loud inside.

Double V

I award negative points for lack of personal accountability and cavalier attitudes toward rules and regulations. Here's the creative solution -- if you don't want to park according to regulations, walk to campus. Award even more negative points for those who appear to think that they are more important than others because of who they are. Have more than a handful of former colleagues who wish they'd have learned that before losing their jobs, in a couple of cases their freedom for a while, and a not insignificant amount of money.
He was accountable. He chose to use HIS money to simply pay the tickets instead. It was a cost/benefit analysis, and he chose the benefits of convenient parking outweighed the costs. It's not like he's bitching that he was "unfairly" ticketed, or entitled to better parking or anything like that. I see no issues with it.

Parking laws are a construct of the anglo male. Fight the power, man!

researchfrog

Zero tickets. I had no spare money for tickets and no one at home to pay for them. So I planned ahead, scheduled my classes in bunches as much as possible, and often arrived before 7:30 AM to get a good parking space.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
TCU was not bad at all in terms of their zeal to enforce parking and deal out fines. I think I got all of two tickets as an undergrad, neither of which was undeserved. But I got away with many more minor violations through the years that would have been financially crippling had the enforcement been as redneck as, say, UT Austin.

FrogCop19

*sigh*

I probably wrote quite a few of the tickets you guys got. Sorry.

There was no nefarious purpose behind them, it's just the rules. I was 26 and fresh out of the academy, relatively young compared to most of the retired FW cops that work there now, and I empathized with the students. Hell, two years prior to that I *was* a student, and had my own share of tickets. But if you are doing something wrong, there is nothing special about you. You are better than no one, and the rules still apply. It doesn't matter if you "just ran inside to check your mail" or "just ran into the cafeteria to grab something to eat."

I promise you, I never once went looking for trouble or problems. Hell, I would just walk up to the kids outside the greek houses drinking and just say, "Pour it out guys. Go inside to drink where I can't see you, but if you bring it out here you are just asking for trouble."

My favorite story is one time a student had broken an ankle on the carpeted gym down in the Rickel (long while ago...) and I was waiting to guide the EMT's down there in the little semicircle fire lane area on the southwest side of the building (over by where the pool is). There was a car parked there, so I got out and wrote him a firelane ticket. He came running out, screaming and hollering at me, "I was just in there for a second! You're such an ass!" I calmly told him that he had been parked there for over three minutes because that's how long it took me to write the ticket, and that it was reserved for emergency situations. He looked at me and yelled, "What are the chances that an emergency is going to happen in the three minutes I'm parked there?"

Serendipity was on my side as just about that time the ambulance came around the corner and pulled in right behind his car.

He shut up and got in his car and left.

Westsider

I was drunk every time I parked illegally. That OK?