• The KillerFrogs

frog news from 2020 nfl combine

TooColdU

So this is why Reagor was never utilized more in the slot. These are pretty bad for a guy his size.

7th percentile in 20-yard shuttle for WRs.

Last edited:

East Coast

Tier 1
JR looked stiff and "tight" all year to me; to the point where I thought he might be playing hurt. He still has that explosiveness; something must have happened in his training over the past 18 months or so. Also, it seems to me that all the 40 times are a little down this year.

netty2424

Maybe JR knows he’s going to have to play special teams for a few years in order to get some time on a roster, hoping to break through at wideout later on. May be his camp thought he should put on some weight to handle the contact.

He looks like a RB to me right now. Built like Jet.

Wexahu

Maybe JR knows he’s going to have to play special teams for a few years in order to get some time on a roster, hoping to break through at wideout later on. May be his camp thought he should put on some weight to handle the contact.

He looks like a RB to me right now. Built like Jet.

I think there's a chance he maybe just isn't quite as fast, quick and explosive as everyone thought he was. I don't think the extra weight helps, but it would be a very strange strategy for him to start getting ready for special teams work before the draft. I think he sees himself as a first rounder, those guys don't worry about ST.

To me he always seemed like more a sprinter than a real quick, shifty guy. That would kind of explain the very slow 3-cone time.

MTfrog5

I think there's a chance he maybe just isn't quite as fast, quick and explosive as everyone thought he was. I don't think the extra weight helps, but it would be a very strange strategy for him to start getting ready for special teams work before the draft. I think he sees himself as a first rounder, those guys don't worry about ST.

To me he always seemed like more a sprinter than a real quick, shifty guy. That would kind of explain the very slow 3-cone time.
Thought he was very quick before this year. I thought he did a terrible job getting off the line against press coverage this year though. Maybe that was an adjustment defenses made or he lost a step as he continued to get bigger. Thought he’d run a better time than he did though and expect him to at the pro day. He didn’t get caught from behind by guys that have tested in years past.

Eight

Should.Have.Come.Back.

if he weighed 208 a year from now he would run the same and i would bet he drops weight and runs faster at the frogs pro day.

the question is who the hell was training him for the combine?

he obviously has been putting in work, but worse than the forty time was the shuttle time and this is a guy who showed great stop and start and agility in college.

matmoo123

He looked really stiff on the first 40 and things went downhill from there. Training and weight gain are part of it but I think much of this is in his head. Not sure he handles adversity well. Seems to shut down when things go south. Was a factor last night and during the season. Definitely a concern going forward.

Eight

He looked really stiff on the first 40 and things went downhill from there. Training and weight gain are part of it but I think much of this is in his head. Not sure he handles adversity well. Seems to shut down when things go south. Was a factor last night and during the season. Definitely a concern going forward.

tee higgins caught a bit of flack at first when he decided not to run at the combine and wait until the clemson pro day, but i am not so sure that isn't the better plan for some of the athletes

i agree jalen didn't handle the slower than he expected time on his first run and i do believe that environment waiting around to run isn't a good situation for someone who might be high strung.

had this discussion with coaches at uh about how some kids handle the wait to run well and others get way too keyed up and things snowball on them.

CountryFrog

Doctson ran around the same time at the combine I believe and we all know that JR is faster than Doctson.

Sometimes guys just run slow. One false step can cost you .1 second. Anyone who's seen JR play knows he can fly on the field. The questions people have about him are things that were never going to be answered at the combine anyway. Speed was not one of those questions. A 4.47 40 time at the combine is doing absolutely nothing to where he gets drafted. Even if he'd gone out and ran 4.35 I don't think that would've actually done anything to change his draft position because speed is not the question with him.

flyfishingfrog

I think JR can run faster but the number of guys who are said to "run in the 4.3's" is much, much larger than the number of guys who can actually run an electronically timed 4.3-something forty. These guys are some of the fastest guys in the college game, have been training for this exact drill for over two months, and still a relative few can break 4.4. Anything under 4.5 will allow a guy to do about anything he needs to do on a football field in a game. It's still football, not track. Out of the dozen or so guys that have run sub 4.3, only a couple ended up being really good NFL players.
thought I heard only 4 guys broke 4.4 at the Combine yesterday

Wexahu

A 4.47 40 time at the combine is doing absolutely nothing to where he gets drafted. Even if he'd gone out and ran 4.35 I don't think that would've actually done anything to change his draft position because speed is not the question with him.

I'm not so sure about that, I think it definitely has at least some impact. If guys that run faster than expected can help their draft stock (which history shows is true) than the opposite has to be true as well, because for every guy that moves up the board, one is going down.

If he had run a 4.35 his draft stock would be different right now, I'm pretty sure of that.

Eight

apparently jalen prepared at exos training in frisco who has a history working with nfl prospects, but the single most common thing i have read is why he came to the combine 10+ lbs. heavier than his playing weight when he wasn't exactly a small guy in the first place

Punter1

Maybe he should just move to TE since that’s so easy

So lets keep John Stephens buried at 3rd string WR instead of seeing if a freak athlete might thrive at a different, possibly more appropriate position. Got it.

An elite track athlete/sprinter is the same speed as he would be 10 lbs heavier. Got it.

Anymore thoughts?? You are batting 1.000 so far.....