• The KillerFrogs

Streaming is dead

Atomic Frawg

Ooh, I hadn't heard that.
Just announced today apparently. Sinclair bought the Fox regionals and YES (whatever that is) and started renegotiating the prices. YTTV is the third major streaming agency to drop the Fox regionals. Only Hulu and ATT Now still have them after Feb 29th. But who knows? Maybe Sinclair is over playing its hand, maybe the streaming services are right to fight to keep the price down. Thisbhappens periodically even with the cable companies, and they usually work it out.

Atomic Frawg

...but my main reluctance to cutting the cord so to speak is if the internet goes out, which happens from time to time. I at least have Direct TV if that happens and if something happens to that, I've got the apps/Firestick so I'm not like the guy in the TV commercial who ends up in the fetal position when his internet goes out. Maybe dumb priorities on my part but what can I say?
Most phones will allow you to cast to a smart TV. I've casted games and movies from YTTV to friends' TVs before. My phone still showed the games in HD on the friends' sets. If they have slow processors you may get some chop, though, but nothing I have considered unbearable. I've also used my phone's hotspot to watch something on TV. Point is, I had options.

Eight

Just announced today apparently. Sinclair bought the Fox regionals and YES (whatever that is) and started renegotiating the prices. YTTV is the third major streaming agency to drop the Fox regionals. Only Hulu and ATT Now still have them after Feb 29th. But who knows? Maybe Sinclair is over playing its hand, maybe the streaming services are right to fight to keep the price down. Thisbhappens periodically even with the cable companies, and they usually work it out.

it is insane the continued shifting of content and it isn't just the streaming services.

cable and satellite have the same issue with the sports channels and niche channels such as hallmark

where it really gets complicated about comparing is when you start factoring in things like dvr ability.

BABYFACE

yt_header_default.png

Hi there,
Our goal with YouTube TV is to offer you the content you love, delivered the way you want.
To make this happen, we need to enter into deals with our partners. Unfortunately, we have been unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair to continue to carry the FOX Regional Sports Networks and YES Network.
Starting February 29, 2020, you will no longer be able to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network or YES Network.
Please know that we do not take this decision lightly. We value your membership and will continue to strive to build the best streaming experience possible.
Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team
You received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your YouTube TV account.
yt_footer_sk.png

©2020 Google LLC d/b/a YouTube,
901 Cherry Avenue,
San Bruno, CA 94066
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

AFnwnKWd2_ADw-5UmdtkZ1fT-2Qa9WMyyQ5qVxVQhgRNrnjz0IJX.gif

Wexahu

yt_header_default.png

Hi there,
Our goal with YouTube TV is to offer you the content you love, delivered the way you want.
To make this happen, we need to enter into deals with our partners. Unfortunately, we have been unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair to continue to carry the FOX Regional Sports Networks and YES Network.
Starting February 29, 2020, you will no longer be able to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network or YES Network.
Please know that we do not take this decision lightly. We value your membership and will continue to strive to build the best streaming experience possible.
Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team
You received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your YouTube TV account.
yt_footer_sk.png

901 Cherry Avenue,
San Bruno, CA 94066
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

Just as I was about to make the switch.......

MTfrog5

yt_header_default.png

Hi there,
Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team
yt_footer_sk.png

901 Cherry Avenue,
San Bruno, CA 94066
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

Not great. Might as well switch to cable again if they are going o be dropping [ Finebaum ] too.

Atomic Frawg

yt_header_default.png

Hi there,
Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team
yt_footer_sk.png

901 Cherry Avenue,
San Bruno, CA 94066
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

According to fbschedules.com, we only had two football games last year on FSN, APB and KSU. I don't think FS1/FS2 are affected. But @Eight is correct in that this happens with satellite and cable companies, too. What likely happened is that Sinclair saw the streaming love and got big-eyed after seeing how many people were cutting the cord. Who knows, it may free up money for them to add the NFL Network.

YTTV currently airs ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, ACC Network, Big Ten Network, SEC Network, FS1, FS2, CBS Sports, NBC Sports Network, NBA TV, MLB Network, Golf Channel, Tennis Channel, Olympic Channel, and the channels that typically broadcast the NCAA tourney like TBS, TNT, AMC, etc. So for me, I'm still good with YTTV.

Last edited:

Eight

Told y'all.

the biggest thing i don't have to deal with so far with any of the streaming companies i have had is the att and comcast service departments.

this isn't always about saving money. if the price and options are roughly the same and i don't have to deal with the lowest level of dante's circle of hell known as att/comcast customer service i am good with that

Wexahu

According to fbschedules.com, we only had two football games last year on FSN, APB and KSU. I don't think FS1/FS2 are affected. But @Eight is correct in that this happens with satellite and cable companies, too. What likely happened is that Sinclair saw the streaming love and got big-eyed after seeing how many people were cutting the cord. Who knows, it may free up money for them to add the NFL Network.

YTTV currently airs ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, ACC Network, Big Ten Network, SEC Network, FS1, FS2, CBS Sports, NBC Sports Network, NBA TV, MLB Network, Golf Channel, Tennis Channel, Olympic Channel, and the channels that typically broadcast the NCAA tourney like TBS, TNT, AMC, etc. So for me, I'm still good with YTTV.

The only thing I really watch on FSSW are Ranger games, and while I'm not a huge baseball fan or anything, it is nice to be able to turn a game on in the summer when nothing much else is going on.

Who knows where all this is going. in 5 years we'll all probably be streaming but paying more than what we are now for cable.

flyfishingfrog

The only thing I really watch on FSSW are Ranger games, and while I'm not a huge baseball fan or anything, it is nice to be able to turn a game on in the summer when nothing much else is going on.

Who knows where all this is going. in 5 years we'll all probably be streaming but paying more than what we are now for cable.
Exactly

I thought the idea behind streaming was getting to pick what content you wanted to watch and pay for that - not a bunch of other stuff you didn’t want because it was in a bundle

how are HULU and YTTV really any different than directv and cable beyond the medium of delivery and cheaper for now - which will change as soon as they have to foot the entire cost of a channel and don’t have Dtv and cable subsidizing their reduced rate to the channel owner?